Matt Hughes is not a nice man. - Page 16 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
MMA Smacktalk MMA Smacktalk is for all the cheering, jeering, and smack-talking that you want. This is the stuff that isn't appropriate for the MMA Discussion forum. Rules are light, so if you don't have a sense of humor, then don't go here!

Reply

Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 AM   #151 (permalink)
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 7,516
Blog Entries: 1
oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincePierce View Post
dont twist it. and i do. the point is the book is full of stuff like this. thats the first chapter. you cant take the polemic synopsis at the start of this thread and use that as evidence to discount the veracity of the accusation. matt hughes is getting slated by far more people than the guy who dropped this thread. every ****in review site ive looked at is ripping the book and the author. the worst part is these independent reviews are populated largely with hughes/ufc fans. who the **** else would give a shite.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=z...itesec=reviews

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-America...1101222&sr=1-1

but its all good. if someone makes an argument based on reading the thing, you make them the odd one out.

if someone cites the 100s of other reviews you say ppl should read it themselves.

if someone cites him throwing a hammer straight in his brothers face, you cite some idylic waltons mountain type horseplay horse shit. yes you are right. its perfectly normal to beat the shit out of your siblings growing up. picking up a hammer and throwing it straight at their face however is not normal. quoting that incident years later with pride is not normal. and if you are seriously suggesting it is, then i fear neither are you.

we all have opinions tho and you are welcome to yours.

good luck with that way of seeing it.
oh... I get it now... you were using those excepts from the book as specific examples of why you think Matt is a scumbag etc.....

that's truly pathetic. I pity you.
__________________
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #152 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 352
VincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
oh... I get it now... you were using those excepts from the book as specific examples of why you think Matt is a scumbag etc.....

that's truly pathetic. I pity you.
lol... i dont need your pity.

i wouldnt mind a coherent ****in argument tho.

get some sleep.
VincePierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #153 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
TanyaJade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,778
TanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTanyaJade Is Beyond A Rankings System
The book doesn't portray Hughes as engaging in sociopathic or criminal behavior like the synopsis does. We have to look outside of our own culture though to really examine whether or not the behavior and opinions exhibited in Hughes' book really justify such strong words against him. Looking at Hughes from an emic perspective, yeah, in my opinion I think he's a douchebag. I also hold a pretty strong bias against the particular subculture that society calls "redneck" as I grew up in a household where my mother and father were barely a step above Confederate Texas trailer trash.

Qualities I commonly associate with "rednecks"--
  • Rudeness
  • Sense of self righteousness
  • Highly ethnocentric
  • Xenophobic
  • Intolerant of other lifestyles or opinions
  • Combative towards differing opinions and practices
  • Immaturity *
  • Insecurity * (e.g. the need to "prove" themselves)
* = Can be explained by high levels of testosterone or other things relating to a specific surge in a man or young boy's neurochemistry.

Reading Hughes' book, listening to his interviews, watching him on the Ultimate Fighter, and meeting him personally and analyzing his behavior, there are only really four of the qualities that I listed above that are noticably prevalent in Hughes' personality:
Rudeness
Self-Righteousness
Ethnocentrism
Insecurity


To justify these...

Rudeness- Possibly explained by Hughes' upbringing on an Illinois farm. Isolated from most of civilization, excluding a small, conservative community that had a general consensus of values and beliefs. Hughes never had many opportunites to understand the values of tolerance and acceptance. Such values are often considered a "threat to the stability of the community" and essentially threaten the way of life that Hughes and his peers value.

Self Righteousness- Obviously some sense of this is certainly well entitled. Hughes was a dominant UFC champion, who despite being extremely one-dimensional managed to dominate all the competition that was thrown at him. Even today in a sport that has evolved past Hughes' abilities, he continues to do relatively well. His ego however, seems to focus more on the building up of his personal ego by using "locker room" behavior and believing himself to be a "natural leader". See the Tim Sylvia incident with Hughes for evidence. This was one of the few parts of the book that I believed to be completely fabricated. It's clear that Hughes holds himself in extremely high regard, and actually views himself as a "higher class human being" than us "commonfolk".

Ethnocentrism- People often confuse ethnocentrism with racism when infact it's not totally conjugal. This can also be attributed to any of the other three, but it is heavily noticeable that Hughes think that his farm-living church going lifestyle is the hands down best culture/subculture and that everyone must conform. See the bible incident from TUF. Totally disgusting, and totally inconsiderate of the beliefs of others. Not to mention he compared himself to a prominent biblical figure...

Insecurity- Evidenced by his extreme competitiveness, excuses after losing, poor behavior when defeated in any kind of fashion, and his notable refusal to train with high level strikers because of the enormous liklihood that he would be embarassed. Matt and Mark were mentioned to have a competitive relationship, in which Mark more often than not came out on top. That is a huge red flag. Matt probobly still feels those feelings of insecurity, not towards his brother, but towards his attitude and fear of losing. A true competitor just goes in and gives it their best shot and takes a loss as a lesson to be learned and something to take with humility. Matt appears to not be able to handle losing well psychologically.

In hindsight though, are we THAT much different? Yeah, Hughes has some bad qualities, but who doesn't? I've done some pretty despicable things in my life, as I'm sure all of you have.

The point being:

PEOPLE ARE DOUCHEBAGS

__________________

Rich Franklin - Holly Holm - Carlos Condit - Andrei Arlovski
Credit to Spite for the sig!
TanyaJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #154 (permalink)
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 7,516
Blog Entries: 1
oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincePierce View Post
lol... i dont need your pity.

i wouldnt mind a coherent ****in argument tho.

get some sleep.
Argument? There is no argument with someone like you. You are obviously a gay little mamaís sissy boy whoís parents wiped your ass for you until you were grown (or do they still do it). They coddled you and never let you experience real life, so now, even reading about it is a shock to your delicate sensibilities. They nurtured a false sense of superiority in you by telling you you were too good to play with those lowly redneck kids when what they really meant was you canít play with the normal kids, youíre too weak. Itís really not your fault you grew up to be such a joke of a man who feels the need to belittle those who actually live their lives, itís the fault of your scumbag parents.

Gosh youíre right. Itís easy to sit in judgement of someone I donít know based on some things Iíve read. It's fun too......sissyboy
__________________
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #155 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 95
Rocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincePierce View Post
its an autobiography. do you understand what that is?
I'll assume you already know what an autobiography is. No need for me to tell you.

Anyway, I made an earlier post basically stating this.....
"Hughes joined the UFC because fighting is what he loves and he wrote a book to tell you about his journey. KEEP THOSE 2 SEPARATE. Try to appreciate what he's done for the sport instead of bashing him for making some mistakes in life."

And......reading someone's autobiography doesn't mean you know them on a personal level. It means that you read their autobiography and only know what was written.
Rocco1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #156 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
I've read Hughes book. I thought it was a bad book (like most of the books ghostwritten and then attributed to MMA fighters), but that's neither here nor there.

The fact is, whatever I don't like about Matt's attitude, he's a human being, and deserves the benefit of the doubt. People who are commenting about him, talking sh*t from behind a keyboard, are welcome to do that. It's America, after all.

On the other hand, when you decide to use forums as an excuse to personally attack a fighter, you don't really get to hang on to the moral high ground.

Personally, I hear people talk about fighters that I've met all the time like they are horrible people. The vast majority of the time, those people have never met the fighter they're talking about. They read some article on Junky or Cage Potato or Sherdog about how he's loud and obnoxious.

I don't know Matt very well. I only met him once. He was focussed on other things, so he was a little preoccupied. He still signed an autograph for my brother, who's a huge fan of his, and was happy to answer questions.

I hear the same sort of claims made ("he's a scumbag;" "he's a waste of oxygen;" etc.) about guys like Nick Diaz and Chael Sonnen constantly.

Nick Diaz has his issues, but I've never had an issue with him, and I've spent a fair amount of time around him. He likes to talk, but so does everyone who owns a laptop, apparently (hence the existence of the MMA Smacktalk section on this site).

Chael Sonnen is perhaps one of the nicest fighters I've ever met. He's got a good sense of humor (self-depricating and straightfoward) and is a pretty nice guy.

They're people, and to talk about them like their the scum of the either (a) makes no f*cking sense and (b) betrays the limited information that you have about these guys.

If you think that the fact that Hughes' book is bad demonstrates that he's a horrible human being, then I don't know what to say except that your standard for evidence is a little too low to deserve any sort of respect at all.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #157 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 95
Rocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the roughRocco1016 is a jewel in the rough
I couldn't have said it better myself. Good post.
Rocco1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #158 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 352
VincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
Argument? There is no argument with someone like you. You are obviously a gay little mamaís sissy boy whoís parents wiped your ass for you until you were grown (or do they still do it). They coddled you and never let you experience real life, so now, even reading about it is a shock to your delicate sensibilities. They nurtured a false sense of superiority in you by telling you you were too good to play with those lowly redneck kids when what they really meant was you canít play with the normal kids, youíre too weak. Itís really not your fault you grew up to be such a joke of a man who feels the need to belittle those who actually live their lives, itís the fault of your scumbag parents.

Gosh youíre right. Itís easy to sit in judgement of someone I donít know based on some things Iíve read. It's fun too......sissyboy
lol we are in smack talk. arent we?

what kind of latitude do i have with this ****er. i dont want to get myself banned here :P

''MMA Smacktalk MMA Smacktalk is for all the cheering, jeering, and smack-talking that you want. This is the stuff that isn't appropriate for the MMA Discussion forum. Rules are light, so if you don't have a sense of humor, then don't go here!
''

ok. lol.

theres no argument because youre a ****in idiot. all you can do is throw crap little insults that project your own shitty life on a complete stranger.

if you had half a ****in brain youd realise im london irish, which makes my city much bigger and badder than yours and my country ****in background a lot ****in deeper too. if youd ever even been to ireland youd realise we know country.

unfortunately for you, you little bitch we also know ****.

youre a big man on the internet dissing my family, altho i doubt them balls would last long if you were here. them balls be more likely to wind up in your ****in mouth son.

talking a load of shit about ppl you dont have a clue about online might seem like a big man thing to do. it might seem like a conveniant way out of an argument you just lost.

you dont hear me coming online and dissing your cuntry roots. i dont come on here and diss the ugly sow that reered you or the wattless racist brain dead wifebeater that called himself your daddy. i dont come on here and tell people i was gonna be your dad....but the dog beat me up the stairs.

i dont come on here and tell ppl you are the product of the cess pool of the white gene pool. the shame of our race or the sister *******, wife beating, black hating, cant ****in read, cant ****in write, has no coherent argument, inbred brain dead scum of the western world. i have political sensitivity to your group. and yet you, a member of the biggest joke in the western world continue to spew your shite online. im surprised they got the internet into your trailer.

you might think your a bad man talking shit on the internet. you might think your a bad man talking shit around your friends. but come to london with that brain dead racist shite and youl wind up floating in the thames or hanging from a ****in lampost.

you are the product of 1000 generations of hick inbreeding. you are nothing. your family are nothing and neither will be your kids.

i dont hate you. i ACTUALLY pity you.

youd be better off dead.

now go home and **** your sister you shitty nasty gene fart. the world dont want your kind.



mug.

Last edited by VincePierce : 11-30-2010 at 02:25 PM.
VincePierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #159 (permalink)
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,164
Blog Entries: 14
swpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings System
If anyone wants to continue this discussion, let's do so without taking shots at each other. If there's any more insults, infractions will go out.

But for one or two intelligent posts on the last page or so, I'm ready to close the thread, either way.
__________________

Sig Credit to Toxic
swpthleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #160 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 352
VincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the roughVincePierce is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
If anyone wants to continue this discussion, let's do so without taking shots at each other. If there's any more insults, infractions will go out.

But for one or two intelligent posts on the last page or so, I'm ready to close the thread, either way.
lol. my bad. just read that. i was editing. tobe fair that was strong provocation and it is the smack talk forum. il delete if you want tho.
VincePierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios