Hand-less Ex-Marine Banned From UFC - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
MMA Smacktalk MMA Smacktalk is for all the cheering, jeering, and smack-talking that you want. This is the stuff that isn't appropriate for the MMA Discussion forum. Rules are light, so if you don't have a sense of humor, then don't go here!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,033
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav35 View Post
The opening line "Ex-Marine, Nick... who lost both of his hands in Iraq". Maybe you should watch it again.

Making jokes about current issues is one thing... this is quite another. you're right, there is no grey area... this falls under the outright wrong. If it was just "someone with metal hands trying to fight in the UFC" fine.
How is them setting the scene with a current, believable, story offensive? They are not in any way shape or form making fun of soldiers who have been injured they are simply using it as a believable (because it is current) setting for the joke about the metal hands.

You are twisting it all around to suit your argument. Simply mentioning that he lost his hands in the Iraq war is not making fun of anyone or anything. If I use a playground as a setting am I automatically making fun of kids? If I use a police station as the setting for my comedy am I automatically making fun of all police officers and those who were injured in the line of duty? Would you be offended by this? 'Cause it is exactly the same thing.

Yes real people are being injured in Iraq every day. Does that mean it should be illegal for any war movie to be comedy? How long do we wait until it's okay to make a show like MASH? I guess MASH would be offensive since real people are dying in war every day?

This video will not negatively or positively affect anyone in any way shape or form which is the only basis for censoring any type of speech in a free country.

And you must have misunderstood my comment about the "grey area". I meant in free speech there is no grey area. Either there is censorship or there isn't, and what you are talking about is straight up censorship.


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 302
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
They're not making fun of crippled marines, is the point. The fact that he is in the joke doesn't mean he is being made fun of, he could just as easily have lost his hands in a logging accident or a machining accident. It's just backstory to set up the joke.
... this just in

nobody is debating that... i think they should have left the marine thing out though, bc it makes it less funny since this rings true for many people. it's not funny at all.
dav35 is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,033
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav35 View Post
... this just in

nobody is debating that... i think they should have left the marine thing out though, bc it makes it less funny since this rings true for many people. it's not funny at all.
Except for many people it is probably what made them believe the first part of the video was real, which really adds to the "omg lol this isn't real" affect half way through, which is the entire point of the joke.

It's that current/believable thing I was telling you about.


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 302
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape City View Post
How is them setting the scene with a current, believable, story offensive? They are not in any way shape or form making fun of soldiers who have been injured they are simply using it as a believable (because it is current) setting for the joke about the metal hands.

You are twisting it all around to suit your argument. Simply mentioning that he lost his hands in the Iraq war is not making fun of anyone or anything. If I use a playground as a setting am I automatically making fun of kids? If I use a police station as the setting for my comedy am I automatically making fun of all police officers and those who were injured in the line of duty? Would you be offended by this? 'Cause it is exactly the same thing.

Yes real people are being injured in Iraq every day. Does that mean it should be illegal for any war movie to be comedy? How long do we wait until it's okay to make a show like MASH? I guess MASH would be offensive since real people are dying in war every day?

This video will not negatively or positively affect anyone in any way shape or form which is the only basis for censoring any type of speech in a free country.

And you must have misunderstood my comment about the "grey area". I meant in free speech there is no grey area. Either there is censorship or there isn't, and what you are talking about is straight up censorship.
i haven't twisted anything around. perhaps you didn't read my first post... i said it's not funny to me. i never said it shouldn't be allowed.

Long story short... people are free to post whatever they want.... say whatever they want...etc. that's the beauty of a free country

my opinion... it is a poor attempt at humor. period. i was just sharing my opinion.
dav35 is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,033
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav35 View Post
i haven't twisted anything around. perhaps you didn't read my first post... i said it's not funny to me. i never said it shouldn't be allowed.

Long story short... people are free to post whatever they want.... say whatever they want...etc. that's the beauty of a free country

my opinion... it is a poor attempt at humor. period. i was just sharing my opinion.
That's cool man I was just explaining why it shouldn't be offensive to anyone, but clearly you have every right to find whatever you want offensive.

Was just trying to explain why they chose that and why it adds to the affect of the joke.


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,705
                     
I didn't find this funny at all. When you start a joke off with "ex-marine who lost both hands in iraq", and then make fun of it, you are putting yourself into some heat.

You can say that he could have lost his hands in many other accidents but they didn't use any other accident, so saying that is useless.
Spec0688 is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,917
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec0688 View Post
I didn't find this funny at all. When you start a joke off with "ex-marine who lost both hands in iraq", and then make fun of it, you are putting yourself into some heat.

You can say that he could have lost his hands in many other accidents but they didn't use any other accident, so saying that is useless.
but its just backstory. they are not actually making fun of the guy or how he lost his hands.

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:59 PM
All Eyez on Me
 
vilify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,481
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec0688 View Post
I didn't find this funny at all. When you start a joke off with "ex-marine who lost both hands in iraq", and then make fun of it, you are putting yourself into some heat.

You can say that he could have lost his hands in many other accidents but they didn't use any other accident, so saying that is useless.


Its already been said by a few posters that the "ex marine from Iraq" wasn't the actual joke , it was the metal hands and MMA stuff. They could have easily said he lost his hands in a car accident or in a work related injury but it wouldn't really make a difference. Someone would still be upset because their relative was just in a car accident and lost both hands. u know?

So imo if anyone has the right to be upset it would have to be the amputee/handicap community. The average person doesnt know what they go through everyday...but this was just a joke a very funny one too.
vilify is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Featherweight
 
Brydon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: High Wycombe, England
Posts: 1,384
                     
I would personally be extatic at the prospect of seeing Jax from mortal kombat in the UFC.
Brydon is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 05:31 PM
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 9,929
                     
This was on the onion sportsdome on Comedy Central....show was incredibly stupid, hope it gets canceled, this was the best part of the first episode and it made me chuckle more because I'm an MMA fan and thought about if something like this really happened.

Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome