WWE’s McMahon Thinks Wrestling is “More Sophisticated” Than MMA - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
MMAForum Articles Members can write breakdowns of fighters, events or just articles on MMA related topics.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 2,638
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
Of course its more sophisticated. You got lines, gotta be a good actor well maybe not the good actor part...................


It's a fricken play for christs sakes
actually, it's not like that at all, there are no lines, you are given the story line and you have to improv 90% of the material including improv the fight aswell.
alizio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:33 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England.
Posts: 12
   
I don't see how it's more sophisticated, I don't know how he's worked that out. They aren't even the same thing, one is a Full Contact Sport, the other is Full Contact Entertainment.

Also most of you have no clue about wrestling, it's not "fake" or anything like that lol, yes it's scripted, but they still have to do it, and fight each other.
Divine is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:09 AM
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,910
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine View Post
I don't see how it's more sophisticated, I don't know how he's worked that out. They aren't even the same thing, one is a Full Contact Sport, the other is Full Contact Entertainment.

Also most of you have no clue about wrestling, it's not "fake" or anything like that lol, yes it's scripted, but they still have to do it, and fight each other.
They aren't actually "fighting" each other. It is very clear that they are acting. If someone jumps off of the ropes onto your head, you aren't getting back up. They also get up at the last possible second, (very convenient for the fans. They use steel chairs and baseball bats, they aren't fighting.

They are just actors/actresses.


-Always Supporting-
Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Demian Maia - Miesha Tate - Claudia Gadelha - Jessica Eye - Tecia Torres

Come watch me make a fool of myself on YouTube
HitOrGetHit is online now  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 AM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizio View Post
actually, it's not like that at all, there are no lines, you are given the story line and you have to improv 90% of the material including improv the fight aswell.

No... the fight is highly choreographed and they practice it for the full week or more before the "fight." There's also a tight script (pre, post, and during fight).

My favorite Ken Shamrock fight to date is him vs Shane McMahon's sister. She forgot her script and Ken had to say under his breath, "you're supposed to slap me!" She abruptly fell back into character and slapped Ken.


My dad was the main broadcasting manager for the WWF PPV shows and met Vince McMahon almost daily. All the fights are 100% scripted, 100% choreographed, and timed very precisely.

Cabby was right, it's essentially a play.

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
joshua7789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,322
                     
The Southpark episode about wrestling is one of the funniest things ive seen in a long time. People talking about wrestling being a play reminded me of it. Watch it if you havent seen it, trust me.
joshua7789 is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England.
Posts: 12
   
Ok, ok it's not full contact all the time, but they still do the moves to each other, why do you think they have to spend years training, and working their way up if it's "just a play". It is for entertainment, they don't try to hide that, of course they will get up at the last second, it makes it more entertaining.

The matches aren't choreographed xD. The ending is scripted and certain spots in the match are set up e.g a high risk move or a part the gets the crowd going, but most of it they make up on the go, they talk to each other in the matches to decide what to do next.
Divine is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:05 AM
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,910
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine View Post
Ok, ok it's not full contact all the time, but they still do the moves to each other, why do you think they have to spend years training, and working their way up if it's "just a play". It is for entertainment, they don't try to hide that, of course they will get up at the last second, it makes it more entertaining.

The matches aren't choreographed xD. The ending is scripted and certain spots in the match are set up e.g a high risk move or a part the gets the crowd going, but most of it they make up on the go, they talk to each other in the matches to decide what to do next.
Even if the entire thing wasn't scripted, my point was that they aren't actually fighting each other. The punches and stomps aren't actually meant to cause damage. They may improv some of it, but that doesn't mean that they are actually hurting each other.


-Always Supporting-
Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Demian Maia - Miesha Tate - Claudia Gadelha - Jessica Eye - Tecia Torres

Come watch me make a fool of myself on YouTube
HitOrGetHit is online now  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Roll Tide Roll
 
G_Land's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South West Alabama
Posts: 7,603
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine View Post
Ok, ok it's not full contact all the time, but they still do the moves to each other, why do you think they have to spend years training, and working their way up if it's "just a play". It is for entertainment, they don't try to hide that, of course they will get up at the last second, it makes it more entertaining.

The matches aren't choreographed xD. The ending is scripted and certain spots in the match are set up e.g a high risk move or a part the gets the crowd going, but most of it they make up on the go, they talk to each other in the matches to decide what to do next.

Are you serious? They only work years on stuff because they try different things to test the reactions of fans. When they see something works better than others they put the others on the back burner. Saying the matches arent fake...are you 10?....whats real????them slapping their leg to sound like they hit somebody??? Somebody getting put to sleep only to be "resurrected" by the crowd screaming? ....I tried to watch it a few months ago because i saw a hot chick on there....after 5 mins i felt so embarrassed i almost covered my face....
G_Land is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 2,638
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Land View Post
Are you serious? They only work years on stuff because they try different things to test the reactions of fans. When they see something works better than others they put the others on the back burner. Saying the matches arent fake...are you 10?....whats real????them slapping their leg to sound like they hit somebody??? Somebody getting put to sleep only to be "resurrected" by the crowd screaming? ....I tried to watch it a few months ago because i saw a hot chick on there....after 5 mins i felt so embarrassed i almost covered my face....
since this isnt MMA related fig i could post

if you think the fights are "highly choregraphed" you dont know wrestling... these guys fight up to 5x a week, there is no time to choregraph entire fights. They have big moves choregraphed and the finish choregraphed and anything pertaining to the storyline choregraphed (EG if you have to use a certain weapon like a hairspray etc etc). There is no way in hell the entire match is. Its 80%+ improv guaranteed so is this stuff they say on the Mic. Too many shows a week, a month, a year to remember fights move for move like a movie, i cant believe some of you actually believed it was like that....

as for it not being "real"... obviously the fight isnt real BUT the pain these guys live with for the rest of their lives is. There is a reason so many are addicted to pain killers and other drugs. The grind is unbelieveable and neverending, you need to find time to travel, workout, get prepared for matches, work out injuries, get your mic skills prepared, meet and greet fans etc etc 3-5x a week. Alot of these guys are never the same physically years later. It's not a real fight but you cant fake alot of the stuff they are doing aswell.
alizio is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Roll Tide Roll
 
G_Land's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South West Alabama
Posts: 7,603
                     
No doubt they get jacked up but i would argue the 80% thing....but thats just me...moving on I know they are on the road yes and short time to get ready for stuff....I would rather take a real punch and get put to sleep for real than fake punched twice a week
G_Land is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome