A usual underdog: Mauricio Shogun Rua writting by me - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
MMAForum Articles Members can write breakdowns of fighters, events or just articles on MMA related topics.

Reply

Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,703
Intermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings System
A usual underdog: Mauricio Shogun Rua writting by me

Mauricio Shogun Rua was a star in Pride FC, utilizing stomps and soccer kicks along side of his agressive style he dominated his way through the Pride middleweight grand prix and winning it in 2005. The first round of the tournament Mauricio saw Rampage Jackson, as a heavy underdog many people didn't think much of Rua, until he dominated Jackson that is. He broke many of Jacksons ribs and finished the fight with soccer kicks to the face of Rampage. People then were fully aware of his skill set and he went into the second fight with a much larger fanbase, and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira was fully aware of this skill set but there was nothing he could do to stop the young up and comer. Rua won the fight via unanimous decision and saw himself in the semi-finals of the middleweight grand prix. The last two rounds were held on the same night, first it was Alistair Overeem the very qualified dutch striker who was also favoured in that fight. Once again Shogun impressed the world with a first round knockout, advancing him into his second fight of the night but more importantly the finals of the grand prix. Much like his fight just a few hours prior, he knocked out Ricardo Arona.

After a heartbreakin loss and a huge upset to Forrest Griffin he rebounded and revenged his second career loss to Mark Coleman, stopping the wrestler late in the third round. This win pushed him up the ladder Chuck Lidell, he pulled a trick out of Lidells game plan and kocked him out in the very first round of their bout at UFC 97. After he shocked the world again, the UFC was impressed and gave him a title shot against Loyoto Machida. Many people didn't give Shogun the chance he deserved going into the fight, after all it was the "Machida era". After a 5 round war which I scored 3-2 for Shogun, a very contriversial decision saw Machida keeping his belt. Shogun was determined to win his second bout with Machida after it was official he was getting an immideate rematch. The second fight went much differently then the first, Rua wasn't going to let it get to the judges this time and he knocked Machida out at 3:35 in the very first round.

Shortly after the fight Rua's knee was bothering him and it was declared the he needed surgery to repair the demage. How will Shogun recover from this setback? We will find out against the strong Rashad Evans at UFC 128. One thing is for sure, Shogun will not be the underdog this time.

Written by Andrew Castro
__________________
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,728
John8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By All
Kay....so uh what do you want to talk about
John8204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,669
MrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By All
You could of summed it up with he was a young underdog till he beat the hell out of Rampage, then he was regarded as the best.

When he started in the UFC, he was absolutely awful fighting Forrest and Coleman. When he fought Chuck he won, early KO, but there was a question mark still considering Chuck was KNFO his previous fight and Shogun's two lackluster performances.

Coming in against Machida, he shocked a lot of people by moving and striking like he did in Pride, seemingly healthy again. During the 2nd fight he was the clear favorite. Against Rashad he'll be the favorite again.
MrObjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,703
Intermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObjective View Post
You could of summed it up with he was a young underdog till he beat the hell out of Rampage, then he was regarded as the best.

When he started in the UFC, he was absolutely awful fighting Forrest and Coleman. When he fought Chuck he won, early KO, but there was a question mark still considering Chuck was KNFO his previous fight and Shogun's two lackluster performances.

Coming in against Machida, he shocked a lot of people by moving and striking like he did in Pride, seemingly healthy again. During the 2nd fight he was the clear favorite. Against Rashad whenever that happens, hopefully he's 100%.
I actually felt bad for Rampage in that fight, poor ribs lol. Your right, he wasn't the underdog in Machida vs Rua 2 but he also wasnt the champion (He should have been !)
__________________
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,291
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Writing only has 1 "t".
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,669
MrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
I actually felt bad for Rampage in that fight, poor ribs lol. Your right, he wasn't the underdog in Machida vs Rua 2 but he also wasnt the champion (He should have been !)
I'm pretty sure Machida broke some ribs after the first fight as well. He was damaged goods going in to the 2nd fight.
MrObjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,703
Intermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObjective View Post
I'm pretty sure Machida broke some ribs after the first fight as well. He was damaged goods going in to the 2nd fight.
Not only his ribs but his legs were toast, he could barely walk. I don't want to start one of those discussions again but I don't know what the judges saw.
__________________
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
BobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
I actually felt bad for Rampage in that fight, poor ribs lol. Your right, he wasn't the underdog in Machida vs Rua 2 but he also wasnt the champion (He should have been !)
He was the underdog!

I think Shogun should be the underdog again after his return next year against Rashad. I mean when did he look good after a knee surgery?
BobbyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
RudeBoySes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 444
RudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud ofRudeBoySes has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
Mauricio Shogun Rua was a star in Pride FC, utilizing stomps and soccer kicks along side of his agressive style he dominated his way through the Pride middleweight grand prix and winning it in 2005. The first round of the tournament Mauricio saw Rampage Jackson, as a heavy underdog many people didn't think much of Rua, until he dominated Jackson that is. He broke many of Jacksons ribs and finished the fight with soccer kicks to the face of Rampage. People then were fully aware of his skill set and he went into the second fight with a much larger fanbase, and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira was fully aware of this skill set but there was nothing he could do to stop the young up and comer. Rua won the fight via unanimous decision and saw himself in the semi-finals of the middleweight grand prix. The last two rounds were held on the same night, first it was Alistair Overeem the very qualified dutch striker who was also favoured in that fight. Once again Shogun impressed the world with a first round knockout, advancing him into his second fight of the night but more importantly the finals of the grand prix. Much like his fight just a few hours prior, he knocked out Ricardo Arona.

After a heartbreakin loss and a huge upset to Forrest Griffin he rebounded and revenged his second career loss to Mark Coleman, stopping the wrestler late in the third round. This win pushed him up the ladder Chuck Lidell, he pulled a trick out of Lidells game plan and kocked him out in the very first round of their bout at UFC 97. After he shocked the world again, the UFC was impressed and gave him a title shot against Loyoto Machida. Many people didn't give Shogun the chance he deserved going into the fight, after all it was the "Machida era". After a 5 round war which I scored 3-2 for Shogun, a very contriversial decision saw Machida keeping his belt. Shogun was determined to win his second bout with Machida after it was official he was getting an immideate rematch. The second fight went much differently then the first, Rua wasn't going to let it get to the judges this time and he knocked Machida out at 3:35 in the very first round.

Shortly after the fight Rua's knee was bothering him and it was declared the he needed surgery to repair the demage. How will Shogun recover from this setback? We will find out against the strong Rashad Evans at UFC 128. One thing is for sure, Shogun will not be the underdog this time.

Written by Andrew Castro
+ 1

Very well written!

Although this knowledge is out there.. it's still exhilarating to read again.. I cannot express how much i admire the Chute Box style ! I love the vicious Muay Thai, devastating leg kicks, and under-utilized knees!

I have been a fan of Shogun since Pride.. it's a shame he had to destroy Alistair on his way to the title.. but atleast Alistair has the fight under his belt.

This article makes me miss Pride..
__________________
Officially Supporting
Edson Barboza
Dustin 'The Diamond' Poirier

-=[DROPBOX]=-
Do you need 2 GB of free online storage?

Sign up with my REFERRAL so we both get an additional 250 MB
RudeBoySes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios