Muay thai and braces?? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Muay Thai Kickboxing Discuss Muay Thai Kickboxing technique, training, equipment and videos!

Reply

Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Amateur
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
MCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enough
Muay thai and braces??

I tried to convince my parents that I won't get hurt from muay thai because I won't spar and they're paranoid that if my braces break then its $4000 wasted. We went to the orthodonist and he said that he doesn't want me to do it because the braces might break if i get hit. I'm not sure if the gym allows contact when drilling techniques so I was planning to get a braces mouthguard from shockdoctor and try their 2 day free trial. My plan is that if it's too risky and there is a lot of contact, I will quit or i just won't spar but learn techniques and practice on their heavy bags.My orthodonist doesn't want to make one for me and the shockdoctor braces mouthguards are horrible so I'm not sure where to get one. I don't have much time i need an answer quick
MCDOJO101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Chosen One
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 1,487
Blog Entries: 5
Cookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDOJO101 View Post
I tried to convince my parents that I won't get hurt from muay thai because I won't spar and they're paranoid that if my braces break then its $4000 wasted. We went to the orthodonist and he said that he doesn't want me to do it because the braces might break if i get hit. I'm not sure if the gym allows contact when drilling techniques so I was planning to get a braces mouthguard from shockdoctor and try their 2 day free trial. My plan is that if it's too risky and there is a lot of contact, I will quit or i just won't spar but learn techniques and practice on their heavy bags.My orthodonist doesn't want to make one for me and the shockdoctor braces mouthguards are horrible so I'm not sure where to get one. I don't have much time i need an answer quick
If you are just starting out, there is a good chance there will be minimal contact, beginner classes are all about the technique and proper form. Sparring with a partner for this purpose involves focus mitts, or pads. The short answer to your question is that if you're just starting out, you most likely will not be getting hit in the braces.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App
__________________
The poster formerly known as Cowgirl


Thanks to Killz for the great sig!

Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

 
CupCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 7,387
Blog Entries: 13
CupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is Untouchable
How long will you need the braces for? and how long have you had them? I can see contact being so heavy that the braces will break, although there is always someone who hits harder than they should.
Get the ShockDoctor boil and bite so it covers your braces, and they do a double shield if you need the bottom row covered also.

I say go for it and drill technique, that way you're learning but there's no risk of your braces breaking.

Take into account, if the braces are on for a year, or more, then that is a lot of time to just be drilling technique and not advancing to sparring. Only so much technique you can learn in that time without being allowed to put it into practice.
__________________
Sig Credit: KRY

Invicta 9 Pick 'em here!
CupCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Amateur
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
MCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
If you are just starting out, there is a good chance there will be minimal contact, beginner classes are all about the technique and proper form. Sparring with a partner for this purpose involves focus mitts, or pads. The short answer to your question is that if you're just starting out, you most likely will not be getting hit in the braces.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App
Not really true. I trained at a MMA gym where the instructor was kind of a douche and in fact encouraged you to get hit to toughen u up. We would make a circle and kick the shit out of each others bodies and he would makes us do pull ups on sharp rails and i said that it hurt my finger bones and he was like "THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!". I'm not sure if there are any douche instructors at this gym (hopefully not). I have trained boxing as well before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaG View Post
How long will you need the braces for? and how long have you had them? I can see contact being so heavy that the braces will break, although there is always someone who hits harder than they should.
Get the ShockDoctor boil and bite so it covers your braces, and they do a double shield if you need the bottom row covered also.

I say go for it and drill technique, that way you're learning but there's no risk of your braces breaking.

Take into account, if the braces are on for a year, or more, then that is a lot of time to just be drilling technique and not advancing to sparring. Only so much technique you can learn in that time without being allowed to put it into practice.
I need braces for 2 more years. I had them for around 4 months. I thought boil and bite was not recommended for braces? I saw many bad reviews of shock doctors double braces mouthguard with people saying that it comes off too easily and it breaks too quickly. Idk what to do but I just wanna practice muay thai techniques on heavy bags and mitts and work on my conditioning. better than just lifting weights for 50 minutes 3x a week with no MMA training
MCDOJO101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

 
CupCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 7,387
Blog Entries: 13
CupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is UntouchableCupCake Is Untouchable
Thinking about it, I think any form of Boxing or Muay Thai would be risky as of course, braces creates a lot of tension between you teeth to realign them. Any form of impact could be undoing the good work your braces are doing of keeping your teeth in the right place.

BJJ should be fine, but you don't want direct impact straight on your teeth. Mouthguards for braces are available (Google) but even then...it's a risky move.

My personal opinion of course.
__________________
Sig Credit: KRY

Invicta 9 Pick 'em here!
CupCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Chosen One
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 1,487
Blog Entries: 5
Cookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaG View Post
Thinking about it, I think any form of Boxing or Muay Thai would be risky as of course, braces creates a lot of tension between you teeth to realign them. Any form of impact could be undoing the good work your braces are doing of keeping your teeth in the right place.

BJJ should be fine, but you don't want direct impact straight on your teeth. Mouthguards for braces are available (Google) but even then...it's a risky move.

My personal opinion of course.
I completely forgot what braces actually do when I gave my opinion, wow. I think Liza is correct here, with all that tension it really isn't worth the risk.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App
__________________
The poster formerly known as Cowgirl


Thanks to Killz for the great sig!

Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Amateur
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
MCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enoughMCDOJO101 will become famous soon enough
Well i've seen lots of amateur boxers with braces but it's not like I'm even gonna spar (touch sparring at the most). And besides i've been kneed and slammed when i wrestled/ did BJJ so that's more riskier than drilling muay thai techniques. no?
MCDOJO101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Asian MMA is dead
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,474
Stun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings System
You ask for advice and they give you advice and you argue them. too funny

Just do what you want, tell your parents to shove it lol
__________________


Sig Credit - El Bresko
Stun Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
El Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Shockdoctor mouth guard has a 10k warranty if it doesn't work properly, that covers the cost of your braces on the very minimal chance that anything happens.

You won't even get hit in the face for quite a while after beginning anyway though. Go for it dude.
__________________






El Bresko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Asian MMA is dead
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,474
Stun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings System
Just do it breh
__________________


Sig Credit - El Bresko
Stun Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios