MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Muay Thai Kickboxing (http://www.mmaforum.com/muay-thai-kickboxing/)
-   -   Fairly New to Muay Thai (http://www.mmaforum.com/muay-thai-kickboxing/82388-fairly-new-muay-thai.html)

Sonnya 10-04-2010 01:21 PM

Fairly New to Muay Thai
 
I have been training in Muay Thai for about 8 months. I have no self defense experience besides High school wrestling, some kempo when I was 12 and the occasional schoolyard fights. I chose Muay Thai because I like to stay on my feet. And I like to kick =] Its also very brutal and effective.

I have wanted to train in martial arts for a very long time.. its something I have always wanted to do. I want to get the best I possibly can. Eventually I would like to compete, But I am not ready yet.

With all that said.. I am doing well I am training with Pro;s. Taking weekly private lessons with the Kru and head coaches. I guess they're starting me off slow. This school throws you right into the sparring ring. They say "light sparring" which isnt.. it turns into a full off muay thai fight.. minus elbows. My Kru always sets me up with the same 280 lb 6'3' bouncer lol Im currently 5'11" 215. Not a great match. Needless to say I get my ass handed to me. last friday I Simply got destroyed. I think my mind wasnt int he fight.. mainly because I knew i was going to lose and I was kinda scared.. not to be hurt.. but being humiliated.

I think they should spend more time on teach me how to properly defend myself or block lol. I personally think that my kru is giving me some tough love to toughen me up, since it seems like the only way to really learn is to be thrown into something?

I know this isnt much of a question, but it is in a way. Im trying my best and still getting my ass kicked lol. I will speak to my kru and coaches to train me in what they saw wrong but.. What do you people suggest for a guy in my position? Im trying to get better and be the best I can be.

Halfraq9 10-04-2010 04:56 PM

Off the top of my head a couple things that might help out.
1) Ask the guy you're sparring with to lighten up a little. Its hard to focus on technique when you're getting hammered.
2) After getting hit with the same set-up.combo repeatedly, ask your partner how to block/counter or deal with it.
3) See if you can spend more time working on individual techniques. Fot the same reason mentioned in #1 above. Focus on punching, kicking, feints, and combos.

Good luck

kyn muay thai 12-19-2010 03:00 AM

I train in a muay thai gym in thailand and they have videos on youtube that you might find helpfull, they are just training privates with a real thai champion Hlukhin(one of the best in the game)Hlukhin will go back to basics with even faily experienced fighters which is great, i learnt alot from watchng these. They also have a web site you might want to look at. www.phuket-krabi-muaythai.com
good luck!!

Voiceless 12-19-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnya (Post 1277937)
I think they should spend more time on teach me how to properly defend myself or block lol. I personally think that my kru is giving me some tough love to toughen me up, since it seems like the only way to really learn is to be thrown into something?

Wrong. Constantly being overstrained is no good didactics (that's true for every kind of learning), especially in fighting, because you are going to get accustomed to bad habits which will be hard to get rid of later. Being under constant pressure will tense you up and shut your action down. You won't learn how to attack or even hit back if you are afraid of getting hit and only close down your guard all the time. That's why it's important to train with different pressure levels. Light pressure to get used to specific movements and to try out new movements and then later with increasing pressure to test them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnya (Post 1277937)
What do you people suggest for a guy in my position?

Halfraq9 has given some useful advices. Besides hard sparring be sure to also have light sparring to focus on your techniques so they can become automatisms for the hard sparring. Ask people who know what to do what to do if you don't know it.

BearInTheClinch 01-04-2011 03:52 AM

Have they taught you any kind of defensive skills at all?

Is there something specific about the opponent that is giving you big problems, I might be able to give you some tips.

Fightclubmuay 02-06-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnya (Post 1277937)
I have been training in Muay Thai for about 8 months. I have no self defense experience besides High school wrestling, some kempo when I was 12 and the occasional schoolyard fights. I chose Muay Thai because I like to stay on my feet. And I like to kick =] Its also very brutal and effective.

I have wanted to train in martial arts for a very long time.. its something I have always wanted to do. I want to get the best I possibly can. Eventually I would like to compete, But I am not ready yet.

With all that said.. I am doing well I am training with Pro;s. Taking weekly private lessons with the Kru and head coaches. I guess they're starting me off slow. This school throws you right into the sparring ring. They say "light sparring" which isnt.. it turns into a full off muay thai fight.. minus elbows. My Kru always sets me up with the same 280 lb 6'3' bouncer lol Im currently 5'11" 215. Not a great match. Needless to say I get my ass handed to me. last friday I Simply got destroyed. I think my mind wasnt int he fight.. mainly because I knew i was going to lose and I was kinda scared.. not to be hurt.. but being humiliated.

I think they should spend more time on teach me how to properly defend myself or block lol. I personally think that my kru is giving me some tough love to toughen me up, since it seems like the only way to really learn is to be thrown into something?

I know this isnt much of a question, but it is in a way. Im trying my best and still getting my ass kicked lol. I will speak to my kru and coaches to train me in what they saw wrong but.. What do you people suggest for a guy in my position? Im trying to get better and be the best I can be.

Hi sonnya I am English who follow my family to stay in Thailand.I feel interested in martial arts. I had trained mauy Thai in bann chang Thai in bangkok. Just one month,mainly are basic to fitness the muscles and movement. I feel interesting with master lek and team. The name of the training course is Muay chaiya which are primitive but look logical in counter attack. So I would like to join to share and learn something different with the club.the web is www.samkhum.com.pls visit
Regards
Kevin

madturki 06-27-2011 03:48 PM

Sonnya - I could totally vouch for these guys. I spent 2 weeks at Koh Yao Noi training in February with Hlukhin and Noom and they're great. It didn't compare to the training in North America. You'll make great friends, amazing island and super training. Honestly if you can afford to get there do it. You wont regret it.

David

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyn muay thai (Post 1324018)
I train in a muay thai gym in thailand and they have videos on youtube that you might find helpfull, they are just training privates with a real thai champion Hlukhin(one of the best in the game)Hlukhin will go back to basics with even faily experienced fighters which is great, i learnt alot from watchng these. They also have a web site you might want to look at. www.phuket-krabi-muaythai.com
good luck!!



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2