MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Muay Thai Kickboxing (http://www.mmaforum.com/muay-thai-kickboxing/)
-   -   First Muay Thai Fight!?!? (http://www.mmaforum.com/muay-thai-kickboxing/91876-first-muay-thai-fight.html)

Andy1254 06-13-2011 08:28 PM

First Muay Thai Fight!?!?
 
OK, so I have been asked if I want to have my first fight this year and I don't really know! I am 16, 55kg and have been training Muay Thai for about 10 months and have been sparring for about 2.

I am just a guy that gets really nervous and know that I will be unbelievably nervous before and just think about the worst and probably forget everything! I just know I will be a shaking wreck!

So can anyone give me advice on what I should do! Mu instructor thinks I am ready but I don't know if I am! :S

Should I just take the fight and get my first one over and done with??

Also, has anyone got any advice on the nerves side of things? Any way to hold myself together and make sure I do the best I can??

And anyone got any inspirational messages that will calm me and make me realise that I should just do it and stuff like that!

Thanks, Andy.

MMAnWEED 06-13-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy1254 (Post 1426442)
OK, so I have been asked if I want to have my first fight this year and I don't really know! I am 16, 55kg and have been training Muay Thai for about 10 months and have been sparring for about 2.

I am just a guy that gets really nervous and know that I will be unbelievably nervous before and just think about the worst and probably forget everything! I just know I will be a shaking wreck!

So can anyone give me advice on what I should do! Mu instructor thinks I am ready but I don't know if I am! :S

Should I just take the fight and get my first one over and done with??

Also, has anyone got any advice on the nerves side of things? Any way to hold myself together and make sure I do the best I can??

And anyone got any inspirational messages that will calm me and make me realise that I should just do it and stuff like that!

Thanks, Andy.


First of all, Andy, we all get nervous before any sort of big sporting event in our lives. Frank Mir has admitted that he throws up before every single fight to this day because of the nerves. Its normal to be nervous dude! As long as you are confident in your abilities and have put the time in, you should have no reason to not take the fight. its a good age to get in there and start fighting. You have to be aggressive and have a killer instinct type of attitude. See your opponent as someone who wants to hurt your family or along those lines and it always helps.

I was a nervous wreck before my first amateur mma fight but once we started exchanging hands and feet, the adrenaline kicked in and I fought better than ever.

Good luck! You got this!

luger0 06-27-2011 02:36 AM

I will give this bluntly but it will do you some good.

If you are unsure about taking a fight then you are not ready to fight.

I was offered a shot at something similar to you and accepted right away because I knew my instructor doesn't ask you if he never thought you had a shot at loosing.

If you are nervous then that is another sign that you are not ready to fight.

Squirrelfighter 07-01-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy1254 (Post 1426442)
OK, so I have been asked if I want to have my first fight this year and I don't really know! I am 16, 55kg and have been training Muay Thai for about 10 months and have been sparring for about 2.

I am just a guy that gets really nervous and know that I will be unbelievably nervous before and just think about the worst and probably forget everything! I just know I will be a shaking wreck!

So can anyone give me advice on what I should do! Mu instructor thinks I am ready but I don't know if I am! :S

Should I just take the fight and get my first one over and done with??

Also, has anyone got any advice on the nerves side of things? Any way to hold myself together and make sure I do the best I can??

And anyone got any inspirational messages that will calm me and make me realise that I should just do it and stuff like that!

Thanks, Andy.

Firstly the fact that you have a chance to compete placed in front of you. Very few people out of all those who WANT to compete will even get to the point where they are given the opportunity.

I once had a conversation with someone I worked with who'd competed in MMA before. He said blunty, "It was scary as hell the first time I got into the ring (that Org used a ring, not a cage). I felt like I was gonna shit myself. I was shaking." He then went on to say, "I won two amateur fights, and I'm definitely sure it was worth it to really know what I'm capable of."

The point being, its friggin scary to compete in MMA. Some guys wants to beat the shit out of you. Anyone who says that its not at all frightening or nerve-racking is bullshitting to seem badass (or they're deluded).

The point is overcoming those negative emotions and trying to focus on what you really want. If you can analyze the situation and say, yeah I think I WANT to compete. Then do it. "Ready" is such a non-specific term and its really difficult for most people to even come close to accurately assessing their own abilities. If I was in your position, if I trusted my coach and he said I was ready, I would jump on the opportunity to compete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luger0 (Post 1431587)
I will give this bluntly but it will do you some good.

If you are unsure about taking a fight then you are not ready to fight.

I was offered a shot at something similar to you and accepted right away because I knew my instructor doesn't ask you if he never thought you had a shot at loosing.

If you are nervous then that is another sign that you are not ready to fight.

Now to address this. This post lacks any logic. You're suggesting that if he's nervous or has any doubts, before even starting to train for the fight, he should quit? That's pretty high on the list of the worst things I've read on this forum.

On top of that the very idea of "If you are unsure about taking a fight then you are not ready" is just ignorant. That sounds like some childish "balls up bro" Jersey Shore bullshit.

Anyone who's honest with themselves knows that there is a level of apprehension we all go through when something like this comes around. Whether that emotion is motivating or demoralizing changes from person to person. To assume all people react to the same stimuli in the same way is just wrong.

xeberus 07-01-2011 11:46 PM

How old is the guy you will be fighting? How big is he? Any knowledge of his muay thai credentials?

While it may be frightening at times, I think its best to know what you are up against. In the finals at the NAGA tourney I entered I knew a bit about the guy and he was older, bigger, and he had more time in judo than I had in wrestling and bjj combined. That being said I knew what I had to do to win, and I was a coward but I beat him on points. All that said sometimes you can't know anything about the other guy and that makes me more nervous.

I'd say if you trust your trainer and he thinks you are ready then you are ready. Its scary, frightening and I pissed 8-9 times in the hour before my first amateur kickboxing match. My dick was so tingly and uncomfortable from all the nervous pisses it was.. not good. But there is a point that is went away for me, I gained more confidence in myself and I relaxed. Getting through it, getting past that anxiety and measuring myself in a way that only a fight can do is the greatest feeling. As bad and as scared as you will be before the fight is how good you will feel after/during.

It is your call, I think you should do it, if you don't no worries but remember courage is the resistance of fear, the mastery of fear, not absence of fear. Mark Twain said that.

check your rep ;)

Andy1254 07-17-2011 02:23 PM

Thanks guys :) Just seen your feedback I took all of your nice comments (Except lugar0..) and told my instructor I would fight and he knows I am a nervous guy so he may wait a little longer but I will make sure it is soon this year! :D

Its weird.. Sometimes I get really pumped and motivated for having one, other times I just sh*t myself and think that I will never do it! :p

I suppose the first os the worst so it will be good to get it out of the way and that I will gain a hell of a lot from it! Even if I lose! :)

luger0 07-28-2011 07:27 PM

I was not being evil with my reply.

I watched as my team-mate got dismantled saturday night.

If you can tell me honestly you are not afraid of any consequences that will arise from the sport then you are ready.

For me it is simple I spent up to six months talking with god before I made my decision to go down this path last january. I haven't fought yet, soon enough I will get in there an make people wish I hadn't entered the cage.

I simply go and preform I lay everything on the line because I can honestly tell you that I will have a father who loves me and will protect me. With that said why should you be nervous or afraid?

Squirrelfighter 07-29-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luger0 (Post 1445548)
I was not being evil with my reply.

I watched as my team-mate got dismantled saturday night.

If you can tell me honestly you are not afraid of any consequences that will arise from the sport then you are ready.

For me it is simple I spent up to six months talking with god before I made my decision to go down this path last january. I haven't fought yet, soon enough I will get in there an make people wish I hadn't entered the cage.

I simply go and preform I lay everything on the line because I can honestly tell you that I will have a father who loves me and will protect me. With that said why should you be nervous or afraid?


Mr Muay Thai 12-21-2011 04:06 PM

You're the only one who knows if you're ready. If you're scared shitless you might not be ready. Do remember though, most muay thai fights are based on experience. You shouldn't be going up against someone who is 10-1 your first fight, and you may go up against someone who has never been in a fight either. Another thing: if you do fight, shed as much water weight as you can before you weigh in; guys at my gym shed 20 pounds. There's a guy that scares the **** out of me and he sheds down to my weight before weighing in, then drinks as much water as he can and goes back up to 175 before fighting, it's insane. Great way to give yourself an advantage.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2