What I've been up to (2 videos) - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Other MMA & Amateur MMA Have something else to add or discuss about Mixed Martial Arts? This is the place to discuss the up-and-coming promotions and/or fighters most people don't know about!

Reply

Old 03-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter
 
Kin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 630
Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
What I've been up to (2 videos)

Hey guys! It's been about a year since I last posted anything about my activities. Since April 2013, I've had a bout with reoccurring concussions, which kept me on the bench all summer. But in September, I had a fight with the very-dangerous Kurt Chase Patrick.

KCP is an accomplished wrestler and BJJ purple belt with a dominant submission game. He finished his amateur career as the top 135er in the region, and he even submitted Rico Disciullo (my sole MMA loss) via 2nd round submission. As such, I was very wary of Kurt's ground game...

Unfortunately, a case of bad luck affected what should have been an epic showdown. Kurt has suffered in the past from shoulder problems, and when I sprawled on a shot, his shoulder came out of place. Being in excruciating pain and having only one arm free, he was unable to defend the guillotine I threw on as a counter.

I don't have a video of this one to show...

A month later, though, I found myself competing on DirecTV's Bare Knuckle Boxing show. My opponent was a 2-1 pro fighter, who also had over 100 amateur bouts to his name.

My main MMA coach was also a pro boxer back in the day and he had a field day tapping into a tool kit he doesn't often bring out for his MMA guys. He did a pretty great job whipping me into shape for boxing. Though I had a dozen or so HERP DERP moments where I'm just standing there, getting smacked in the face with my hands down, I also had some moments where I looked like a legit boxer.



And then a month after that, I stood across from "The Asian Sensation" Andre Soukhamthath. Aside from winning the Rocky Marciano amateur boxing tournament, and having once held the #1 ranking as an amateur 145er, Andre was also on a 7-fight win streak with 6 finishes (4 (T)KO, 2 Sub)! His sole defeat was a sketchy decision where, he got Lay & Prayed despite dropping his opponent a couple of times.

This fight did turn out to be as epic a showdown as anyone could hope for.

__________________
Highly opinionated but out of touch with the current MMA scene.

Support my FB athlete page!



Watch my 5th pro fight here



Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 2,639
Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
I've only seen the last fight as the first one is somehow blocked here, but big congrats! That victory was well deserved. I think you have much improved. It seems you have worked a lot on throwing combinations and to go also for the body. I like that. I also like your trip attemps from the clinch, even if your opponent mostly could keep it standing, it broke his posture and he had to recompose. It's also nice to see that you're constantly working/attacking no matter what position you're in, but it puts you in danger of TDs.

5-0 is impressive. Hope all the best for your future career!
__________________
Voiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,321
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
What's up Kin. Been awhile. Awesome to hear you're still tearing it up in the cage.

What's the next career step...
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,725
Hammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings System
You're exactly the kind of fighter I like to watch, man. Always active, always working, getting better as the fight goes on.

Question, do you think you had the guillotine at the end when the bell rang? Because it looked like the perfect setup.
Hammerlock2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter
 
Kin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 630
Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
I've only seen the last fight as the first one is somehow blocked here, but big congrats! That victory was well deserved. I think you have much improved. It seems you have worked a lot on throwing combinations and to go also for the body. I like that. I also like your trip attemps from the clinch, even if your opponent mostly could keep it standing, it broke his posture and he had to recompose. It's also nice to see that you're constantly working/attacking no matter what position you're in, but it puts you in danger of TDs.

5-0 is impressive. Hope all the best for your future career!
Glad you felt that way, man! I've had some people say that they felt Andre win. I hate that I wasn't able to finish and that there's even a question about it... But I felt that we were pretty evenly matched, so sometimes that happens...

In regards to the trips, I've actually landed a few of those in my amateur career against good wrestlers, but Andre has some pretty serious takedown defense. When guys like Blair Tugman and Kurt Chase Patrick couldn't take him down, I knew I wasn't going to fare any better.

My takedown defense, on the other hand... is pretty much nonexistent. In the 12 MMA fights I've had, everyone who's tried to take me down has succeeded at least once. Thankfully, I feel very comfortable off of my back and getting back to my feet, so it hasn't been too big of an issue prior to this fight. But here, it almost cost me the decision.

I'm definitely redoubling my efforts to get better at wrasslin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Mercy View Post
What's up Kin. Been awhile. Awesome to hear you're still tearing it up in the cage.

What's the next career step...
I'm fighting for the Maine state title against BJJ Black Belt, pro MMA veteran, Paul Gorman! He's ranked #2 in New England (my teammate, Pedro Gonzales is #1), so this is a huge fight for me.

If I can pull out the win, I'll probably be looking to step on to a bigger stage. If not, I'll keep doing my thing around here until I get some momentum back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerlock2.0 View Post
You're exactly the kind of fighter I like to watch, man. Always active, always working, getting better as the fight goes on.

Question, do you think you had the guillotine at the end when the bell rang? Because it looked like the perfect setup.
Appreciated, man! I try my best to chisel away at my opponent, and even though I don't come out in a whirling dervish, I am usually able to break my opponent's down and eventually get the finish. Unfortunately, Andre is very good and tough, so I was not able to do so... But goddamn it, I was trying to hurt him and set up submissions every second I was in there.

Plus, since this fight was in his home state of RI, I didn't think I'd be able to win a decision. They are notorious for biased judging... But there had been enough scandals recently, that they brought in some outside judges... luckily for me.

As the fight went on, I felt him getting weaker and I felt ever-closer to finding a submission. I regret trying to force that arm triangle when I should've been striking, but that last guillotine...

Man, there's no way to say for sure, but I really thought that was gonna be it. It felt deep, I had the angle, and he had lost much of his vigor at that point. But alas, too little too late. We'll never know.

__________________
Highly opinionated but out of touch with the current MMA scene.

Support my FB athlete page!



Watch my 5th pro fight here



Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
YNWA
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
Spite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 1,838
Spite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF Material
Great skills mate, I enjoyed watching your fights.

Your stand up is looking great.
__________________
Spite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 2,639
Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin View Post
Glad you felt that way, man! I've had some people say that they felt Andre win. I hate that I wasn't able to finish and that there's even a question about it... But I felt that we were pretty evenly matched, so sometimes that happens...
Usually I'm pretty unbiased when judging fights. In this fight it might have been that my judgement wasn't completely neutral as I had my focus on your actions, so I might have missed some of your opponent, but nonetheless I think you won. The first round was his, the third was clearly yours, the second was competitive, but you were more active, in particular on the ground, even being on your back and he started to fade in that round. So I think 29-28 in your favour is a fair assessement.

Quote:
In regards to the trips, I've actually landed a few of those in my amateur career against good wrestlers, but Andre has some pretty serious takedown defense. When guys like Blair Tugman and Kurt Chase Patrick couldn't take him down, I knew I wasn't going to fare any better.
It doesn't matter that much whether you actually put them on the ground with the trips, they are nonetheless still usefull as your opponent loses balance and has to reset. That can give you an oppening for your strikes. So you should definitely stick to them. Trips are an underutilised technique.

Quote:
My takedown defense, on the other hand... is pretty much nonexistent. In the 12 MMA fights I've had, everyone who's tried to take me down has succeeded at least once. Thankfully, I feel very comfortable off of my back and getting back to my feet, so it hasn't been too big of an issue prior to this fight. But here, it almost cost me the decision.

I'm definitely redoubling my efforts to get better at wrasslin'
I can see we're you're coming from. I don't like that take downs (or mostly rather non slamming drag downs) and top position count so much, but with wrestling so much ingrained in the US culture, you have to deal with those judges.


Quote:
I'm fighting for the Maine state title against BJJ Black Belt, pro MMA veteran, Paul Gorman! He's ranked #2 in New England (my teammate, Pedro Gonzales is #1), so this is a huge fight for me.

If I can pull out the win, I'll probably be looking to step on to a bigger stage. If not, I'll keep doing my thing around here until I get some momentum back.
Fingers crossed! Wish you much success in your upcoming fights! And keep us informed
__________________
Voiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios