MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Other MMA & Amateur MMA (http://www.mmaforum.com/other-mma-amateur-mma/)
-   -   I lost my title fight. :[ (http://www.mmaforum.com/other-mma-amateur-mma/90436-i-lost-my-title-fight.html)

Kin 04-26-2011 01:45 AM

I lost my title fight. :[
 
I lost by TKO in round 1. I'm extremely bummed about this and pissed off at myself. Not only did I lose my chance at the belt, but I lost my ranking as the #1 ammy bantamweight in New England... and my undefeated record...and a lot of my confidence.

On top of that, I'm on a losing streak in a sense, since I lost my amateur boxing debut in the New England Golden Gloves. I didn't make a thread about that, though, since I didn't have vid.

I've got a FB video of this fight though, which I found floating on someone else's page.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/v...23630&comments

Intermission 04-26-2011 01:56 AM

Don't lose your confidence because you lost a fight. You NEED to lose to learn, I have seen your other fights and it isn't a secret that you have the skill set to be a promising fighters, you lose you learn that's the bottom line.

Btw, not just because I like you, because if you won this fight I would have said the same thing, but that was an EXTREMELY premature stoppage, you fell and rolled on your back to let him in your guard and the ref stopped it, I can't believe you didn't protest that man.

You did great, hold your head high.

Kin 04-26-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intermission (Post 1402925)
Don't lose your confidence because you lost a fight. You NEED to lose to learn, I have seen your other fights and it isn't a secret that you have the skill set to be a promising fighters, you lose you learn that's the bottom line.

Btw, not just because I like you, because if you won this fight I would have said the same thing, but that was an EXTREMELY premature stoppage, you fell and rolled on your back to let him in your guard and the ref stopped it, I can't believe you didn't protest that man.

You did great, hold your head high.

Thanks man. I conceptually understand why it shouldn't affect my confidence, but it eats at me nonetheless. that said, I honestly believe that in the long run this will be good for me. It's opened my eyes to a lot of things that I need to work on, technically and mentally, so it can only make me better.

As for the ref stoppage, I was pretty upset but as much as you protest it, nothing will change so I figured that it wouldn't be worth it. If I don't win, I want to lose as graciously as possible and not take anything away from my opponent by making excuses or insinuating that he didn't 'really finish me.'

Either way my coaches and I agree that to become better, I need to fight a lot more frequently. Due to school and various things, there was a 10 month gap between my last fight and this one. If I truly want to prepare myself to go pro and to get my body and mind used to fighting, I have to do it much more frequently. I've already got a fight booked for June 17th and we're looking for another one some time in May...

Voiceless 04-26-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kin (Post 1403190)
Thanks man. I conceptually understand why it shouldn't affect my confidence, but it eats at me nonetheless.

It's absolutely understandable. Losing always leaves a bad taste, but if you analyse your loss intelligently it will definitely make you stronger. Talk with your trainer/coach about your feeling and loss in confidence so he can better adjust your training to build it up again.

I wish you good luck with your next fight and fighting future.

Halfraq9 04-26-2011 05:09 PM

Hey Kin; Not a bad fight. You got caught, went down, and ate a few. Maybe an early stoppage, maybe not. Everyone shouts about their wins. It takes stones to post about your losses. Best of luck on your June fight.

oldfan 04-26-2011 07:17 PM

That was awesome!! you fought for a belt in front of a crowd chanting the other guys name! You are a LIVING LEGEND of MMAF.

Great sportsmanship afterwards too. TOTAL WINNER.
:praise01::praise01:

HitOrGetHit 04-26-2011 07:36 PM

Nothing to be ashamed of kin. You looked awesome, just got caught. It happens to the best of them. I played sports all my life and am extremely competitive so I can understand why it eats at you. But use it as motivation instead of depression.

This doesn't take anything away from your skills bro. You are insanely talented.

swpthleg 04-26-2011 11:45 PM

The link just takes me to FB, not to the video.

UFC_OWNS 04-28-2011 12:57 AM

you'll get back up there bud, but can i suggest just working on head movement and ducking while mixing up body shots and head shots? i think that will go a long way to making you better overall, also try coming forward and keeping up against the fence so he is trapped and you can destroy him there

Kin 04-28-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voiceless (Post 1403329)
It's absolutely understandable. Losing always leaves a bad taste, but if you analyse your loss intelligently it will definitely make you stronger. Talk with your trainer/coach about your feeling and loss in confidence so he can better adjust your training to build it up again.

I wish you good luck with your next fight and fighting future.

I've got to take a week off to do my finals and shit. I feel like I'd already be on the rebound if I was back in training, but that's not possible at the moment. Thanks for your well-wishes nonetheless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfraq9 (Post 1403332)
Hey Kin; Not a bad fight. You got caught, went down, and ate a few. Maybe an early stoppage, maybe not. Everyone shouts about their wins. It takes stones to post about your losses. Best of luck on your June fight.

I felt bad for talking about my golden gloves fight that I lot, after mentioning several times on the forum that I was going to do it. But again, without video, it didnt seem worth it to post a thread where I whine about how I came up short. Thanks for the well wishes, and I'll also have a kickboxing smoker may 22nd, so I should be getting busy real soon. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfan (Post 1403418)
That was awesome!! you fought for a belt in front of a crowd chanting the other guys name! You are a LIVING LEGEND of MMAF.

Great sportsmanship afterwards too. TOTAL WINNER.
:praise01::praise01:

Haha, I don't think I've reached legendary status yet... maybe if I string together enough pro wins or something. I'm def no Kamikaze or Iron Man.

And haha thanks man, I figure if I can't win I'd like to at least lose with dignity. Though, I don't think I can be a 'total winner' if I lost the fight...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit (Post 1403424)
Nothing to be ashamed of kin. You looked awesome, just got caught. It happens to the best of them. I played sports all my life and am extremely competitive so I can understand why it eats at you. But use it as motivation instead of depression.

This doesn't take anything away from your skills bro. You are insanely talented.

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment. Something that this has shown me is that there's a separation between my identity as a martial artist (the guy who's in the gym training) and as a fighter (the guy who actually steps in there). I used to think of them as one and the same, and in that regard I rated myself higher than Rico.*

But in that fight I made HUGE mistakes that I virtually never do in training. My hands were at my chest, I barely threw any punches with my kicks, and I didn't set up my kicks with punches. Even worse, I completely abandoned the gameplan, which was to stick and move, throw combinations, then take him down.

I've been so mad at myself for not performing how I do in training, but then I realized that who I see in that video is who I am as a fighter. Who I am in training, which is who I associate myself with, is who I am as a martial artist -- a separate entity than my competition identity. As I get more experienced in the ring, the lines between the two should become increasingly blurred. Until then, the difference between myself as a martial artist and myself as a fighter will be just as defined as the difference between pad work and sparring for a beginner.

So again, my plan to remedy this is to fight a LOT more and to just improve my skills so much that even if I fight like crap -- compared to how I spar/train -- it'll still be way more than anyone can handle.

** I now regard Rico as the superior fighter. At first I felt like I was better but just got caught, but that was me measuring myself as a martial artist against Rico as a fighter. If I weigh myself as a fighter, which is worth only what I can take in to the cage with me, then Rico is the better man for sure. <--- as if that wasn't obvious with the result of the fight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swpthleg (Post 1403486)
The link just takes me to FB, not to the video.

Hmm that's weird. Maybe it's because you're not signed in to a FB account?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2