Fighting a grappler - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply

Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter
 
Kin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 630
Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
^ Elbows and knees can discourage takedowns, but definitely aren't an effective frontline defense. Furthermore, they aren't applicable since he's fighting amateur, in which elbow strikes and knees to the head are illegal.

I do agree, though, that you've got to get offensive. The most important thing you can do when fighting a grappler is to remember that you're in a fight, not a grappling match! You want to try to hurt him all ranges and not accept his game. You should be punching him from your feet, punching and kneeing in the clinch, and even striking from the bottom (of your guard, not from bottom of a dominant position lol).

That being said, you need to have your MMA grappling fundamentals down. Practicing standing up against the cage, using underhooks to stand, framing and scooting out from guard. All of these skills are pivotal for ruining his day.

Its unlikely -- nay, borderline impossible -- to completely avoid a grappling confrontation when your opponent insists on it. But refusing to play his game by constantly striking and disengaging/standing back up (in a technically sound manner, of course) is a great way to break his will.

Easier said than done, though... My next fight is against a wrestler with a good RNC so lets see if I can put my own advice into practice...

btw, how did your fight go? Looking at the date, this happened ages ago.
__________________
Highly opinionated but out of touch with the current MMA scene.

Support my FB athlete page!



Watch my 5th pro fight here



Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,312
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin View Post
^ Elbows and knees can discourage takedowns, but definitely aren't an effective frontline defense. Furthermore, they aren't applicable since he's fighting amateur, in which elbow strikes and knees to the head are illegal.

I do agree, though, that you've got to get offensive. The most important thing you can do when fighting a grappler is to remember that you're in a fight, not a grappling match! You want to try to hurt him all ranges and not accept his game. You should be punching him from your feet, punching and kneeing in the clinch, and even striking from the bottom (of your guard, not from bottom of a dominant position lol).

That being said, you need to have your MMA grappling fundamentals down. Practicing standing up against the cage, using underhooks to stand, framing and scooting out from guard. All of these skills are pivotal for ruining his day.

Its unlikely -- nay, borderline impossible -- to completely avoid a grappling confrontation when your opponent insists on it. But refusing to play his game by constantly striking and disengaging/standing back up (in a technically sound manner, of course) is a great way to break his will.

Easier said than done, though... My next fight is against a wrestler with a good RNC so lets see if I can put my own advice into practice...

btw, how did your fight go? Looking at the date, this happened ages ago.
As your cornerman and trainer you need to focus on the worst possible positions he's going to put you in especially when he has your back. That's what Ebersole trained against his fight against Hallman. Look what happened. By repelling his greatest threat it broke Hallman. Once he reversed the position he put a hurting on em.

Cardio is key. You'll have to put the pressure with feints rather than play defense cuz he's going to come at you. Once you feint he'll try to shoot eventually thinking you're about to "over commit" then you know what to do.

If all else fails...sweep the leg.
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter
 
Kin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 630
Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Mercy View Post
You'll have to put the pressure with feints rather than play defense cuz he's going to come at you.
So true.

This is SUCH a hard balance to play. Its hard to sell the feints and commit enough on the true attacks you make to keep the guy reacting to your feints....yet still not over commit and get taken down.

We'll see if I can pull that off (for the first time) tomorrow.

I've been taken down in nearly every MMA fight I've been in. Maybe this Saturday I'll break that streak! (probably not though)
__________________
Highly opinionated but out of touch with the current MMA scene.

Support my FB athlete page!



Watch my 5th pro fight here



Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,312
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin View Post
So true.

This is SUCH a hard balance to play. Its hard to sell the feints and commit enough on the true attacks you make to keep the guy reacting to your feints....yet still not over commit and get taken down.

We'll see if I can pull that off (for the first time) tomorrow.

I've been taken down in nearly every MMA fight I've been in. Maybe this Saturday I'll break that streak! (probably not though)
Did you implement the game plan!
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter
 
Kin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 630
Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Mercy View Post
Did you implement the game plan!
Watch the video I posted in the Other MMA and Amateur MMA to find out!
__________________
Highly opinionated but out of touch with the current MMA scene.

Support my FB athlete page!



Watch my 5th pro fight here



Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,312
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin View Post
Watch the video I posted in the Other MMA and Amateur MMA to find out!
Just post it here!!! Same night as UFC...
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter
 
Kin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 630
Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Ugh fine, call me out on being lazy. I'll spend that extra 30 seconds of my life only cuz I like you. :/

hahah but yeah here it is.

__________________
Highly opinionated but out of touch with the current MMA scene.

Support my FB athlete page!



Watch my 5th pro fight here



Watch my "Bare Knuckle" Boxing match here

Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,312
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
Oh just found the other thread...haha. All good. You outclassed em. He seemed real tentative. Based on compu strikes it was like 80 - 10 maybe.

Guess it was a good night of fights. Faber won, Lyoto, Rousey, and Robbie TKOed Kos!
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios