MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Standup Technique (http://www.mmaforum.com/standup-technique/)
-   -   Difficult to KO in bare knuckle matches? (http://www.mmaforum.com/standup-technique/105519-difficult-ko-bare-knuckle-matches.html)

Cookie66 09-26-2012 12:53 PM

Difficult to KO in bare knuckle matches?
 
Is it more difficult to KO someone with bare knuckles? How come in Thailand, people doesn't get KO's often on bare knuckles matches? Are they going easy on each others to put on a longer show?

No_Mercy 09-26-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookie66 (Post 1630877)
Is it more difficult to KO someone with bare knuckles? How come in Thailand, people doesn't get KO's often on bare knuckles matches? Are they going easy on each others to put on a longer show?

Oh you can KO people, just more likely to break your hands. Thai fighters utilize kicks far more and I read that they don't fight hard in the first round, start to pick up in the latter rounds. Reason is that they are all poor and they know they need to do this to provide for their family. They're not looking to hurt or maim their opponents where they end up in the hospital. So yes it doesn't seem like they go 100% until the latter rounds...even at that it may be 80%. Again this is my observation and from an old article I read. Anybody who's trained in Thailand can maybe elaborate more on this.

It's very honourable not to say that they won't try to take your head off, but it's certainly not the same as everywhere else. They have a sense of tradition and honour.

rul3z 09-26-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No_Mercy (Post 1630880)
Oh you can KO people, just more likely to break your hands. Thai fighters utilize kicks far more and I read that they don't fight hard in the first round, start to pick up in the latter rounds. Reason is that they are all poor and they know they need to do this to provide for their family. They're not looking to hurt or maim their opponents where they end up in the hospital. So yes it doesn't seem like they go 100% until the latter rounds...even at that it may be 80%. Again this is my observation and from an old article I read. Anybody who's trained in Thailand can maybe elaborate more on this.

It's very honourable not to say that they won't try to take your head off, but it's certainly not the same as everywhere else. They have a sense of tradition and honour.

That's totally not true!

But their training is all dependent on NATURE rather than machines, just check their trainings you'll see their body's take hurt more than UFC fighters does in an OFFICIAL match!

And just for the answer to the subject:

Bare hands smashes faces and brakes bones, were using gloves makes you DISEY and that's what we call KO :)

No_Mercy 09-27-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rul3z (Post 1630909)
That's totally not true!

But their training is all dependent on NATURE rather than machines, just check their trainings you'll see their body's take hurt more than UFC fighters does in an OFFICIAL match!

And just for the answer to the subject:

Bare hands smashes faces and brakes bones, were using gloves makes you DISEY and that's what we call KO :)

They are certainly well conditioned to take punishment. I've always wondered as well though why there aren't as many KOs.

Curious1 09-27-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookie66 (Post 1630877)
Is it more difficult to KO someone with bare knuckles? How come in Thailand, people doesn't get KO's often on bare knuckles matches? Are they going easy on each others to put on a longer show?

1) Thais tend to be smaller athletes (seen many heavyweight thais?) so that makes punch KOs less likely if less weight is being thrown around.

2) The fear of smashing your hand psychologically makes power punches less likely, 2.5) Also tactically you would want to be-careful with you hands for this reason.

3) Technique wise punching with proper western boxing mechanics is not done in muay thai so much (although thats changing), because it makes you more susceptible to low kicks so they dont generate as much power and punch more from the waist.

4) Traditionally they have always prioritized kicks knees and elbows over punches and fight accordingly, only with the western boxing influence are they gradually coming to see the vital importance of western punching.

ClydebankBlitz 09-29-2012 11:06 AM

It's because you're a lot more afraid of being KOed yourself. I can't give you a comparrison to Thai boxing, but if you take organized bare knuckle fights etc. the fighters generally keep their head pulled back which takes SO much out of their punches. Also, the only time a knockout really occurs is when someone is running forward and goes into a punch because their reckless attack evens up the power level.

It's like a more extreme version of the difference between MMA and Boxing striking. In boxing, SO many more punches land because the punches don't hurt as much due to the padding. They are more willing to take shots because the fear of being KOed isn't quite as strong. In MMA, the gloves are a lot smaller so there isn't quite as many punches thrown due to the fear of taking one back and how much more damaging that shot is. Cross that with bare knuckle, where you also get the fear of breaking a knuckle or a hand, it usually means for a lot less proper punches.

mastodon2222 10-02-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookie66 (Post 1630877)
Is it more difficult to KO someone with bare knuckles? How come in Thailand, people doesn't get KO's often on bare knuckles matches? Are they going easy on each others to put on a longer show?

I'd say it's all of the reasons listed here:
- smaller guys, less ko power
- fear of breaking hand
-if you overcommit to power punches, you're gonna get thai kicked in the legs
-might catch a knee if you try to throw an uppercut
-science: pure physics force = mass x acceleration. 5-8 oz gloves give additional mass w/o sacrificing speed >>ko power


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2