The One-Inch Punch? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 158
                     
Smile The One-Inch Punch?

What do you forum members think of Bruce Lee's "One-inch Punch?"
Was it hype,or is such a thing possible? If is is possible, I would like to know from someone who knows:
1.How do you develop such a thing, and,realistically speaking, how long would it take, training on a regular basis?
2.If it is real, why isn't it more commonly employed?
Sincerely, Ferdelance
Ferdelance is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 01:44 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Deadly Poet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 70
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelance
What do you forum members think of Bruce Lee's "One-inch Punch?"
Was it hype,or is such a thing possible? If is is possible, I would like to know from someone who knows:
1.How do you develop such a thing, and,realistically speaking, how long would it take, training on a regular basis?
2.If it is real, why isn't it more commonly employed?
Sincerely, Ferdelance
yes its real...and anyone with proper kowledge can do it...

1. years of training and thinking and understanding how to develop power with minimal movement....power comes from the ground....feet, legs, hips, back, elbow....the punch is just positioned there...the back, hips, feet and elbow do the work....u need to be relax

2. ppl dont understand it...and its easier to learn Muay Thai....the one inch punch comes from the Wing Chun system...it doesnt take too long to learn (3 to 5 years of training) but it takes a lot mentally to learn...u gots to pay attention to a lot o lil details...sometimes very frustrating to do so...but once u learn the system its amazing...I still dont know the one inch punch but I can generate a lot of power from a very short distance wich can turn what looks like a jab into a power punch....

P.S. The one inch punch is design to hurt on the inside not blow ppl away....there is no real purpose of blowing ppl away in a fight...another reason ppl dont use what Bruce did for show...

Last edited by Deadly Poet; 08-14-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Deadly Poet is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Welterweight
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 2,163
Blog Entries: 4
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Poet
yes its real...and anyone with proper kowledge can do it...

1. years of training and thinking and understanding how to develop power with minimal movement....power comes from the ground....feet, legs, hips, back, elbow....the punch is just positioned there...the back, hips, feet and elbow do the work....u need to be relax

2. ppl dont understand it...and its easier to learn Muay Thai....the one inch punch comes from the Wing Chun system...it doesnt take too long to learn (3 to 5 years of training) but it takes a lot mentally to learn...u gots to pay attention to a lot o lil details...sometimes very frustrating to do so...but once u learn the system its amazing...I still dont know the one inch punch but I can generate a lot of power from a very short distance wich can turn what looks like a jab into a power punch....

P.S. The one inch punch is design to hurt on the inside not blow ppl away....there is no real purpose of blowing ppl away in a fight...another reason ppl dont use what Bruce did for show...
yea most of bruce lees techniques would not apply even to MMA style fighting.. as bruce's thoughts on training mainly was the decimation of your opponent. SImply put hurt your oppoent to the point he can not hurt you. if your being attacked that persons is attempting to hurt or kill you.. you need to do the same.. Martial arts was not a game to Bruce.. it was his way of life.. again part of the reason he did not do many competitions

RGDA TN Web Site

My BJJ and MMA Blog

BJJ Board

Use No Way as Way, Have No Limitation as Limitation.
Vincere Vel Mori

Yea I still exist.
The Don is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 02:34 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Deadly Poet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 70
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
yea most of bruce lees techniques would not apply even to MMA style fighting.. as bruce's thoughts on training mainly was the decimation of your opponent. SImply put hurt your oppoent to the point he can not hurt you. if your being attacked that persons is attempting to hurt or kill you.. you need to do the same.. Martial arts was not a game to Bruce.. it was his way of life.. again part of the reason he did not do many competitions
yep...thats why I struggle on entering MMA or staying with pure combat...cause I like the MMA aspect but would not like to have to hold back during a fight...I know I can hold back but it limits my abbility...and I dont want to find myself doing MMA fighting in a street fight...
Deadly Poet is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 PM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
Federlance, you asked how long it would take to develop the one inch punch. The wing chun punch is something that can be employed almost upon entering a class, but to develop the kind of power that Bruce had takes hours and hours of daily practice, and at that rate it takes seven or eight years. I am assuming that the one inch punch is the focus of your practice, because if it isn't, there is no way to attain the kind of mastery that Bruce Lee did.

The reason why it is not employed in MMA is really above, because it's a single attack and no one training for modern MMA spends that much time focused on one technique.



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Deadly Poet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 70
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Federlance, you asked how long it would take to develop the one inch punch. The wing chun punch is something that can be employed almost upon entering a class, but to develop the kind of power that Bruce had takes hours and hours of daily practice, and at that rate it takes seven or eight years. I am assuming that the one inch punch is the focus of your practice, because if it isn't, there is no way to attain the kind of mastery that Bruce Lee did.

The reason why it is not employed in MMA is really above, because it's a single attack and no one training for modern MMA spends that much time focused on one technique.
it could take 8 years with the one inch punch not being ur goal....it could take 5...it all depends on the person...

the thing is that its one inch energy....one inch punch is just one of many applications of one inch energy...it takes time to develop and u can always get better at it (fine tunning)...but its a by-product of the wing chun training and the understanding of energy....



t
Deadly Poet is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
 
goo goo gaa gaa

Last edited by cooljoebay; 08-20-2011 at 03:18 PM.
cooljoebay is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 08:02 PM
MMA Patriot
 
americanfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 4,003
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljoebay
I believe the one-inch punch only sticks out to people because of the hype. Watching Bruce Lee apply the one-inch PUSH only demonstrates use of energy but not really for mere style or application. People tend to worship others out of their own insecurities and see something more than it really is. Yes, Bruce Lee was genuine and I really liked his philosophy with life and the way things work. This made it easy for him to reflect the way he did, but I don't think he meant to reflect that way in people's minds, unless it was a learning experience for others. Let's keep in mind that he was also a movie star which those people tend to escape reality and use drugs. Lee really thought he could beat anybody in the world but didn't prove it.
No I have read a book about that bruce said he heard someone say that. If you whatch the video his hand stops at impact insted of push through and you can see the hand imprint on impact. its real my friends.

"The fat man flies at midnight"
americanfighter is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Welterweight
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 2,163
Blog Entries: 4
                     
one thing everyone forgets its not just a physical thing the one inch punch.. which it is.. apart from have the physical movements near perfect.. it also requires lots of mental training to focus the bodies energy and release it in that small an amount of space. so there is more to it then justproper form... you also need a proper mind set, concentration which medatation will help with,

RGDA TN Web Site

My BJJ and MMA Blog

BJJ Board

Use No Way as Way, Have No Limitation as Limitation.
Vincere Vel Mori

Yea I still exist.
The Don is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:05 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
 
The One Inch Punch Is More Of An Annoyance And Deterrent To Set Up Other Moves And Confuse Your Opponent
Etifad
etifad is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome