kickboxing class - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply

Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 73
bloodknuck has a little shameless behaviour in the past
kickboxing class

in my current kickboxing class, this is how it is broken down ALMOST every day. (skipping warm up + cooldown)

20 minutes : punching bag, combinations (elbows, hooks, crosses,) then after like 20 sets of say a 4 punch combo, 4 more punches will be added on, for a set of 10-15 more.

20 minutes: kickbags + thaipads. combinations of 5-10 kicks, repeated for sets of 10. sequence of combination will be changed 2-3 times.

ive been training like this since december, 3-4 times a week. i know how to punch/kick properly...my only drawback is my flexibility, but everything else is good.
im starting to train less at this gym because i can only improve so much doing this same training routine for a certain amount of time.

and my friend gives me shit for not coming, when he kicks my ass at sparring (coz im new) he claims it to be due to how i never come anymore to "practice" technique on punching bags + kickbags.

is he right or just full of shit?
bloodknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 180
EastPhilly has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Always practice. If you do the same routine over and over than you become quicker and stronger at it.
__________________
You are blessed by the hand of your free chosen god
EastPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 73
bloodknuck has a little shameless behaviour in the past
thats the thing, ive done it numerous time already..enough so that i cant get any better just practicing on a punching bag.
bloodknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
AdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really nice
I wouldn't base sparring skill purely on practice. No matter how much you practice combos some people are better wired for sparring than others. If you are feeling burnt out take a small break for a week or so then come back hungry. There is no point in training if your heart isn't in it that just leads to injuries or an unhappiness with something that you really love.
AdRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 73
bloodknuck has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdRath
I wouldn't base sparring skill purely on practice. No matter how much you practice combos some people are better wired for sparring than others. If you are feeling burnt out take a small break for a week or so then come back hungry. There is no point in training if your heart isn't in it that just leads to injuries or an unhappiness with something that you really love.

practicing, in the sense that im working on technique on a punching bag? or did u mean u wouldnt base sparring skill purely on sparring practice?
bloodknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
AdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodknuck
practicing, in the sense that im working on technique on a punching bag? or did u mean u wouldnt base sparring skill purely on sparring practice?
I wouldn't base sparring skill directly on bag work. Somepeople have great bag work but don't function as well under sparring conditions that was what I was getting at. So don't feel bad if your friend is excelling at sparring because you miss a few classes doing bag work/thai pad drills. Now Sparring practice or ring experience will help out your sparring but in the end some people are better wired (brain wise) for sparring. I know some guys who hit harder and faster than myself but I can beat them in the ring.
AdRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 73
bloodknuck has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdRath
I wouldn't base sparring skill directly on bag work. Somepeople have great bag work but don't function as well under sparring conditions that was what I was getting at. So don't feel bad if your friend is excelling at sparring because you miss a few classes doing bag work/thai pad drills. Now Sparring practice or ring experience will help out your sparring but in the end some people are better wired (brain wise) for sparring. I know some guys who hit harder and faster than myself but I can beat them in the ring.

thats what i thought...i had that theory in my mind but i havent talked to anyone about it, so i wasnt sure if it was correct..coz i dont see how your ability in bag works carries over to the ring, except for "punching technique"..
the f--king bag doesnt hit back lol
bloodknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
AdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodknuck
thats what i thought...i had that theory in my mind but i havent talked to anyone about it, so i wasnt sure if it was correct..coz i dont see how your ability in bag works carries over to the ring, except for "punching technique"..
the f--king bag doesnt hit back lol
Bag work just sharpens the tools how and when you use them is the other half of the equation.
AdRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter
 
Kin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 632
Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodknuck
in my current kickboxing class, this is how it is broken down ALMOST every day. (skipping warm up + cooldown)

20 minutes : punching bag, combinations (elbows, hooks, crosses,) then after like 20 sets of say a 4 punch combo, 4 more punches will be added on, for a set of 10-15 more.

20 minutes: kickbags + thaipads. combinations of 5-10 kicks, repeated for sets of 10. sequence of combination will be changed 2-3 times.

ive been training like this since december, 3-4 times a week. i know how to punch/kick properly...my only drawback is my flexibility, but everything else is good.
im starting to train less at this gym because i can only improve so much doing this same training routine for a certain amount of time.

and my friend gives me shit for not coming, when he kicks my ass at sparring (coz im new) he claims it to be due to how i never come anymore to "practice" technique on punching bags + kickbags.

is he right or just full of shit?
Before I respond to this directly, I would like to note that I agree wholeheartedly with AdRath. Having the tools (technique) and applying them are two separate halves of a whole.

As for the original topic at hand... Your friend could be, in a way, wrong about what he said. That is, in the sense that its not so much the tools that you're lacking, but the application. However,further developing those tools is not a futile excercise.

At one point you said that you can't get any better than you are at hitting the bag/pads. I'd have to disagree. You said you started sometime in December, which means that you've been at it for six months. You can't reach perfection in that amount of time. I've been doing it for over six years, and I still benefit greatly from guided bag/pad work. Occassionally, I might drop my hand during this attack or that attack, or who the heck knows what. And when I do, my instructor or a peer can point out a more efficient way of doing whatever it is that I'm doing.

It is essential to develope good habits for fighting, and the class that you've described sounds like it could do that for you. Even things like maintaining good hand position while attacking, proper weight distribution to maximize power and balance, good footwork -- all of that makes an enormous difference in a sparring match, competition, or real world situation.

However, what does seem kind of lame is that your class doesn't have any type of drill that helps with applying techniques... That could be problematic.

Regardless, your decision to train a little less at that gym is understandable, but I'd suggest that you appreciate the value in what they do offer (unless you find something much better). But, about that flexibility...

Do you stretch after your workout? Some people I know, surprisingly, do not. This will make them become increasingly stiff over time. Where as, routinely stretching after a practice session will steadily increase your flexibility.

Either way, I wish you luck.
Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
AdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really niceAdRath is just really nice
Ya I would agree it sounds like you are stuck in a class geared towards novice or intermediate practice and you are missing the challenge of more complicated pad/bag work and footwork. If you have a good repore with your instructor maybe suggest he offers a higher level of bag work to keep the more advanced or hungry students with something new and challenging.
AdRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios