I started Boxing - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 94
                     
I started Boxing

Hey Guys....

I am think I want to start amatuer fighting in the next few years...currently I am a 1 stripped blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Ricardo Almeida...just last week I started boxing training for my stand up game....My schedule is kinda wierd though because I have school right now...so I have M-W-F-S nites right now...I figure Ill do 2hours of boxing training then about two hours of jiu jitsu with randori after....just wondering if this is a good combination??
Bscoop09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 PM
The Grasshopper
 
CAPTAIN PEGLEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 221
                     
Yea I'd say good enough , but a better stand up technique is Thai boxing or Kickboxing I'd say. I used to do boxing but I now do kickboxing, it gives you a better perspective of a MMA fight. In boxing all you do is punch and dodge punches. You don't know how to throw or defend kicks or knees.

"OK I'm sorry... Bang! Bang! Bang! No I'm not!"- Bas Rutten

"I think you should be able to kick in the head, itís a fun thing to do."- Wanderlei Silva
CAPTAIN PEGLEG is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Featherweight
 
raymardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN PEGLEG
Yea I'd say good enough , but a better stand up technique is Thai boxing or Kickboxing I'd say. I used to do boxing but I now do kickboxing, it gives you a better perspective of a MMA fight. In boxing all you do is punch and dodge punches. You don't know how to throw or defend kicks or knees.
Excellent advice. Boxing will improve your hands against boxers, but if your goal is MMA. You'll want to learn the other aspects of what's allowed in MMA stand up: knees, clinches, elbows etc.

You can become a world class boxer, but you will have to relearn a lot for MMA because in boxing you will learn how to throw a right hook, and your trainer will show you how to position yourself to defend.

But in boxing you are not defending a roundhouse to your knee, or an axe kick to your head, or a double leg take down.

My point is that if you want to compete in MMA, you don't want to learn boxing. You want to learn good stand up.

Good luck
raymardo is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
                     
^ I disagree completely. I started with Boxing as my base, transitioned well into Kickboxing and Thai when I went to train in MMA. Mind you I also did wrestling, but I had no problem transitioning to MMA with Boxing. However if you try and learn Boxing and then go and compete in an MMA fight that'd be suicide, but transitioning isn't hard. Now I have great footwork, am great at dodging/blocking strikes and have a heavy right hand.

Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 AM
Das ‹bermensch
 
wukkadb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,633
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
^ I disagree completely. I started with Boxing as my base, transitioned well into Kickboxing and Thai when I went to train in MMA. Mind you I also did wrestling, but I had no problem transitioning to MMA with Boxing. However if you try and learn Boxing and then go and compete in an MMA fight that'd be suicide, but transitioning isn't hard. Now I have great footwork, am great at dodging/blocking strikes and have a heavy right hand.
Repped for truth. Boxing is great for transitioning into MMA. The majority of strikes are landed with your hands, and boxers tend to have very good cardio. There are a lot of fundamentals about boxing that apply immensely to MMA.




What a stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
The power of Aleks, his small baby and pimp hardcore dogs has granted you useful insight, my friend.
wukkadb is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
Judoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,379
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bscoop09
Hey Guys....

I am think I want to start amatuer fighting in the next few years...currently I am a 1 stripped blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Ricardo Almeida...just last week I started boxing training for my stand up game....My schedule is kinda wierd though because I have school right now...so I have M-W-F-S nites right now...I figure Ill do 2hours of boxing training then about two hours of jiu jitsu with randori after....just wondering if this is a good combination??
Sounds good, Boxing and Jiu Jitsu is a good mix. but like every fighting style you have to do a bit of adapting for MMA. You can't go into MMA without training against alot of things, Boxing will be very helpful but you will have to go to MMA classes before competing.

Why did you say randori when you don't do a Japanese martial art?


Judoka is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
The Grasshopper
 
CAPTAIN PEGLEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 221
                     
Yea I'm not saying boxing is bad brownpimp , I transitioned from boxing to kickboxing. All I'm saying is that for MMA , I think boxing on its own isnt the best stand up to learn, unless your going to do boxing then change to something else.

"OK I'm sorry... Bang! Bang! Bang! No I'm not!"- Bas Rutten

"I think you should be able to kick in the head, itís a fun thing to do."- Wanderlei Silva
CAPTAIN PEGLEG is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome