Lets talk Strategy! - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply

Old 09-02-2006, 04:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
the trainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 34
the trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enoughthe trainer will become famous soon enough
Lets talk Strategy!

ok, lets say your in an MMA fight tomorrow (UFC rules)

What is ur opening strategy? ie. wat are you gonna do (or try to do)
do you jab and shoot the legs, try and clinch or what?
the trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
brvheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: to infinity and beyond!!
Posts: 209
brvheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past
depends on the fighter....

I say stay and throw some punches and thai kicks....then shoot with a take down, work some strikes on the ground....until you see him make a mistake and give you a sub attempt.
brvheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by the trainer
ok, lets say your in an MMA fight tomorrow (UFC rules)

What is ur opening strategy? ie. wat are you gonna do (or try to do)
do you jab and shoot the legs, try and clinch or what?
This is an impossible question to answer. It depends on your opponent and any number of other variables.

If I'm fighting a standup fighter with fast hands and sloppy legs, I'l throw a leg kick and shoot.

If I'm fighting a standup fighter with fantastic headkicks and knees, I'll throw a few punches at him before going into a judo clinch and tossing him on the mat.

If I'm fighting a standup fighter that loves to clinch, I'll throw a big headkick at the beginning to intimidate him and then shoot in and take hime down.

If' I'm fighting a grappler with good submissions, I'll stand and throw punches, mostly at his head, while I wait for him to try and take me down.

If I'm fighting a groundnpound grappler I'll throw a big combination at the beginning of the fight to let him know I mean business, then I'll judo clinch and try to get into side control or a mount, so I can smash his face.

Strategy depends so much on physical condition of both fighters, it depends on the intelligence of your opponent and his likelyhood to do something crazy. There are too many little things to try and account for.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 42
lll000000lll has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
This is an impossible question to answer. It depends on your opponent and any number of other variables.

If I'm fighting a standup fighter with fast hands and sloppy legs, I'l throw a leg kick and shoot.

If I'm fighting a standup fighter with fantastic headkicks and knees, I'll throw a few punches at him before going into a judo clinch and tossing him on the mat.

If I'm fighting a standup fighter that loves to clinch, I'll throw a big headkick at the beginning to intimidate him and then shoot in and take hime down.

If' I'm fighting a grappler with good submissions, I'll stand and throw punches, mostly at his head, while I wait for him to try and take me down.

If I'm fighting a groundnpound grappler I'll throw a big combination at the beginning of the fight to let him know I mean business, then I'll judo clinch and try to get into side control or a mount, so I can smash his face.

Strategy depends so much on physical condition of both fighters, it depends on the intelligence of your opponent and his likelyhood to do something crazy. There are too many little things to try and account for.
Amen brother.
__________________
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what."-HARPER LEE
lll000000lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
BlondBlomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: right next door to somone
Posts: 26
BlondBlomber has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Chuck Liddel, like him or not is an awsome fighter. And he said in an interview before the 2nd fight with renalto, that he does'nt change his game for anyone. And their still trying to figure out ways to beat him. Well, that being said, I'm not chuck Liddel, but I do somewhat agree with that statement. No, I wont always strike, or always wrestle. But I make my assesment in the fight, and go from there. I just like that spontaneous,"oh, this could be a bad idea feeling". Some say I'm a free spirit........some say an idiot. All sounds the same to me.
__________________
_____________________________________________

Look at me Mom!, I'm on top of the food chain!
BlondBlomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
AtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this pointAtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by the trainer
ok, lets say your in an MMA fight tomorrow (UFC rules)

What is ur opening strategy? ie. wat are you gonna do (or try to do)
do you jab and shoot the legs, try and clinch or what?

depends on who I am fighting, definatly.
But I will stand up at first, and get a feel for his pace.
AtomDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
SilentFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 42
SilentFury has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I like to feel out the opponent first.
It's like your a fat kid craving a delicious cake that is infront of you. Your excited, want to hurry, but are you sure its not poisonous?

I generally like to keep it on the feet.

If the opponent doesn't make a move after a few jabs,I just pretty much start smashing in combos every now and then.
If they'd shoot, i'd sprawl and transist to the side to make sure they cant grab a leg.
If they back up into the ropes, just clinch for a bit and send a few knees to open him up, then send more fists until I finally break through and connect.

And yes...Im talking about my first and only fight back in July

I really had no other game plan...ITS AMATEURS! GET OFF MY BACK!
SilentFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
etifad has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Strategy

i WOULD THROW SOME SHORT AND IN CLOSE BLOWS, CLINCH, GO FOT THE TAKE DOWN AND THEN POUND WITH A VENGANCE.
etifad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondBlomber
Chuck Liddel, like him or not is an awsome fighter. And he said in an interview before the 2nd fight with renalto, that he does'nt change his game for anyone. And their still trying to figure out ways to beat him.
Chuck watches hours of tape on his opponents before they fights. His initial strategy (being to get the KO) doesn't change, but he watches closely to see what his opponents tendencies are and what mistakes they will make.

All that said, Chuck accredits his first win over Babalu to watching alot of tape and seeing Babalu's vulnerability to a kick. While the kick didn't look fatastic, it was something that he had been training for months to use on Sobral.

Strategy still means alot, even if you only intend to win a fight one way you need to be aware of your opponent. It's not just you in the ring, the other person matters too, and if you forget that then you definitely won't win.
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
etifad has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thumbs up

I agree with Ironman all the way along with the fact of being able to go the distance full speed ahead mentally and physically.
etifad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright ę 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios