My problem. - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply

Old 03-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
the>prodigy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
My problem.

I train with trainer in boxing and im weird cause i didnt tell em all that time we were training that if he could train me southpaw. I think its because he never fought that way but all this time ive been training as a righty instead of a soutpaw. I feel really embarrased. Should i train southpaw and if so can u please direct me to videos showing for a soutpaw.
the>prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS
It depends on how good you are fighting out of orthodox. I think you should really get good at one and them try to move on to the other. When you switch to southpaw you have to re-learn your whole defense. Punches and kicks come at different angles and you have to get used to that. And its not that easy to just switch and think that you will automatically be able to make the switch. So I would try and get great at fighting out of orthodox then try and switch to southpaw.

Now I can fight out of both, but thats because I actually started boxing out of southpaw even though I am right handed. So I learned that and then went to learn my more natural orthodox stance. Learning both is great, but IMO you need to be great at one before moving to the other because of how different things are.
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
the>prodigy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsman23 View Post
It depends on how good you are fighting out of orthodox. I think you should really get good at one and them try to move on to the other. When you switch to southpaw you have to re-learn your whole defense. Punches and kicks come at different angles and you have to get used to that. And its not that easy to just switch and think that you will automatically be able to make the switch. So I would try and get great at fighting out of orthodox then try and switch to southpaw.

Now I can fight out of both, but thats because I actually started boxing out of southpaw even though I am right handed. So I learned that and then went to learn my more natural orthodox stance. Learning both is great, but IMO you need to be great at one before moving to the other because of how different things are.
OK but i have too much time on my hands i know your recomending me to stay but like i said i have too much time and i wouldnt mind getting the basics of southpaw stanz going on. Thanks alot bro i feel embarrased.
the>prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by the>prodigy View Post
OK but i have too much time on my hands i know your recomending me to stay but like i said i have too much time and i wouldnt mind getting the basics of southpaw stanz going on. Thanks alot bro i feel embarrased.
Don' feel embarresed, just shadow box out of southpaw and get used to throwing punches out of it. And then have some one just throw very, very light punches at you so you can see how the punches come at you. That way you can work on your defense, because as a southpaw that is pretty important because how of different punches come at you. Southpaw is ver effective if you know what you are doing, but just practice like I said and you will slowly get the hang of it. It just takes time. Feel free to ask any other questions.
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
the>prodigy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsman23 View Post
Don' feel embarresed, just shadow box out of southpaw and get used to throwing punches out of it. And then have some one just throw very, very light punches at you so you can see how the punches come at you. That way you can work on your defense, because as a southpaw that is pretty important because how of different punches come at you. Southpaw is ver effective if you know what you are doing, but just practice like I said and you will slowly get the hang of it. It just takes time. Feel free to ask any other questions.
Ok the reason why i said that i have too much time on my hands because i have no life i dont pay rent i am 18. Its a personal reason not that affects me on training something personal so I train 24/7. Thanks Alot.
the>prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS
Not a problem, I train as much as I can as well. But college like to inturpt my training, so I do it before and after class. Do you just box or do you do anyother type of striking?
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
the>prodigy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsman23 View Post
Not a problem, I train as much as I can as well. But college like to inturpt my training, so I do it before and after class. Do you just box or do you do anyother type of striking?

Yeah i box only and i trained jujitsu for a couple of days and i know some subs. But what i do ist train whatever i run alot breathe only from my nose and out my mouth cause it was recomended. situps pushups alot of the bag repeating alot and alot and alot. So yeah if u recomend me other excersises it would be great.
the>prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
the>prodigy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Ill do anything you tell me too im not picky i have that mental strength very tough mental strength. So i dont care if its i mean WHATEVER!
the>prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by the>prodigy View Post
Yeah i box only and i trained jujitsu for a couple of days and i know some subs. But what i do ist train whatever i run alot breathe only from my nose and out my mouth cause it was recomended. situps pushups alot of the bag repeating alot and alot and alot. So yeah if u recomend me other excersises it would be great.
I don't like to breathe out of my nose when I train or fight becuase if you get hit in the nose during the fight and your nose breaks then you have to just breathe out your mouth and you aren't used to that it can affect how you fight. So I just breathe out my mouth with a clinched jaw.

Working on a heavybag is good just make sure that you have good technique so that you don't form bad habits.

Hit the speed bag and double ended bag alot. The speed bag of course helps your hand speed and the double ended bag will hep with your reactions.

Pushups and situps are good, but when you do situps try doing them with a medicine ball. Hold the medicine ball and just twist side to side or do a situp and as you come up throw the medicine ball against the wall and then catch it. Then you can hold the medicine ball over your head with both hands and bend to either side to work your your obliques.

If you can get some resistance bands to help your punching speed and power.

What weight gloves do you train with?
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
the>prodigy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsman23 View Post
I don't like to breathe out of my nose when I train or fight becuase if you get hit in the nose during the fight and your nose breaks then you have to just breathe out your mouth and you aren't used to that it can affect how you fight. So I just breathe out my mouth with a clinched jaw.

Working on a heavybag is good just make sure that you have good technique so that you don't form bad habits.

Hit the speed bag and double ended bag alot. The speed bag of course helps your hand speed and the double ended bag will hep with your reactions.

Pushups and situps are good, but when you do situps try doing them with a medicine ball. Hold the medicine ball and just twist side to side or do a situp and as you come up throw the medicine ball against the wall and then catch it. Then you can hold the medicine ball over your head with both hands and bend to either side to work your your obliques.

If you can get some resistance bands to help your punching speed and power.

What weight gloves do you train with?
Ok if you could show me a picture of a resistance band.
I used to train with 16 oz cause u know it makes supposely your hands quicker cause its heavier but i m training with 12 oz gloves. Man the thing that i like is that the adrenaline kicks in and it feels good.
the>prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios