Front round house - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply

Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 40
UFC9688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Front round house

Ive been watching a lot of GSP's fights lately and ive noticed that he uses his front leg to do a lot of his kicks. These kicks are very effective and harder to see coming then the traditional roundhouse using the back leg. Every time i try to do this kick using my front leg, I loose my balance and my kick is very weak. Have you guys had the same problem?
UFC9688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,164
Blog Entries: 14
swpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings System
front leg kicks are harder b/c of balance issues. i find that being extra careful with my pivot helps because I can then more effectively use the energy from my hip.
Anyway he's GSP so us mere mortals are bound to have a hard time approaching the awesomeness of his techniques.
__________________

Sig Credit to Toxic
swpthleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Ferox13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Guy Metzger and Genki attack of the front foot too.

It comes from TMA and it is harder to get power into it as the leg doesn't get as much of a swing and the power is generated with the knee as well as the hip.
Ferox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Couchwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the couch
Posts: 2,679
Couchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For Greatness
I've always imagined that the secret with this kick is accuracy. You hit the right nerve on the inside of the leg, and it will hurt even though the kick isn't that powerful?
Couchwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Ferox13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchwarrior View Post
I've always imagined that the secret with this kick is accuracy. You hit the right nerve on the inside of the leg, and it will hurt even though the kick isn't that powerful?
Well inside low kicks to the lead leg are always done this way (unless a south paw vs orthodox). I presumed the OP meant leag leg round house kicks to the head or body.

To over simplify it. The round house kick from the back leg in Muai Thai/MMA is 'usually' thrown with very little bend on the knee - as the over used cliche goes 'its like swinging a baseball bat'.

The lead leg round house is more traditionally used in Traditional martial arts* - the knee is usually chambered and its more a 'snapping' movement compared to the 'swinging through' movement of the Thai Kick. so there is no way you cna generate the same power.

That being said I wouldn't like to be on the recieving end of GSPs or MAchidas front leg kicks :-)

*I'm not sure of this but I think Savate try to kick with a fairly straight lead leg.
Ferox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Outta My Head
 
Onganju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 1,220
Blog Entries: 11
Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Well inside low kicks to the lead leg are always done this way (unless a south paw vs orthodox). I presumed the OP meant leag leg round house kicks to the head or body.

To over simplify it. The round house kick from the back leg in Muai Thai/MMA is 'usually' thrown with very little bend on the knee - as the over used cliche goes 'its like swinging a baseball bat'.

The lead leg round house is more traditionally used in Traditional martial arts* - the knee is usually chambered and its more a 'snapping' movement compared to the 'swinging through' movement of the Thai Kick. so there is no way you cna generate the same power.

That being said I wouldn't like to be on the recieving end of GSPs or MAchidas front leg kicks :-)

*I'm not sure of this but I think Savate try to kick with a fairly straight lead leg.
You sir would be around 70% correct. Savateurs (practitioners of Savate) kick in a more traditional style where the legs are chambered and snapped into their opponents. This is due mostly to the fact that they kick with footwear on, and do not compete barefoot. As a result, the amount of damage that can be done by a pin-point strike from the hardened toe of a savateurs boot can be quite devastating even if it doesn't generate the same gross amount of power in comparison to a full MT Round Kick.

Also, it is possible to generate a great amount of power with a lead kick. Just like a lead hook in comparison to a rear straight/cross, the power is going to be generated primarily in your ability to ballistically torque your body over. The key is being able to pivot quickly and smoothly on your foot. I go into detail on that in this older post here. The caveat is that you have to be able to do it explosively as you have less distance for the foot to travel and accelerate. Being able to do so takes a lot of practice.

The other way to create a lot of power off of your lead leg is to perform a quick shuffle or shift-step to momentarily change leads. In essence, the front leg is then "loaded up" and given the similar distance to travel as your rear leg while simultaneously moving your body mass into the direction of your opponent. This is exactly what GSP did to Matt Hughes in their second match.



While the second option easier to learn, you have to be able to shift step quickly, or be really good at setting your opponent up (GSP happens to be good at both). If a competent striker watches you load that kick they will either counter your attack with one of their own or get the heck out of dodge. While a great kick in itself, it would not have been anywhere near as effective if GSP had not spent the majority of the time before that softening up Hughes legs with low lead kicks.
__________________
It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree... As long as I don't bore you and I spark a moment of thought, my goal is achieved.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 40
UFC9688 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onganju View Post
You sir would be around 70% correct. Savateurs (practitioners of Savate) kick in a more traditional style where the legs are chambered and snapped into their opponents. This is due mostly to the fact that they kick with footwear on, and do not compete barefoot. As a result, the amount of damage that can be done by a pin-point strike from the hardened toe of a savateurs boot can be quite devastating even if it doesn't generate the same gross amount of power in comparison to a full MT Round Kick.

Also, it is possible to generate a great amount of power with a lead kick. Just like a lead hook in comparison to a rear straight/cross, the power is going to be generated primarily in your ability to ballistically torque your body over. The key is being able to pivot quickly and smoothly on your foot. I go into detail on that in this older post here. The caveat is that you have to be able to do it explosively as you have less distance for the foot to travel and accelerate. Being able to do so takes a lot of practice.

The other way to create a lot of power off of your lead leg is to perform a quick shuffle or shift-step to momentarily change leads. In essence, the front leg is then "loaded up" and given the similar distance to travel as your rear leg while simultaneously moving your body mass into the direction of your opponent. This is exactly what GSP did to Matt Hughes in their second match.



While the second option easier to learn, you have to be able to shift step quickly, or be really good at setting your opponent up (GSP happens to be good at both). If a competent striker watches you load that kick they will either counter your attack with one of their own or get the heck out of dodge. While a great kick in itself, it would not have been anywhere near as effective if GSP had not spent the majority of the time before that softening up Hughes legs with low lead kicks.

you have been the most helpful thank you. i think i understand it now.

+rep
UFC9688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,164
Blog Entries: 14
swpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings System
The GSP roundhouse = poetry. it's extra super awesome watching the impact on Matt Hughes' head in slo-mo. It almost looked like he piked up a little on his right leg.
__________________

Sig Credit to Toxic
swpthleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
scepticILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 402
scepticILL has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC9688 View Post
Ive been watching a lot of GSP's fights lately and ive noticed that he uses his front leg to do a lot of his kicks. These kicks are very effective and harder to see coming then the traditional roundhouse using the back leg. Every time i try to do this kick using my front leg, I loose my balance and my kick is very weak. Have you guys had the same problem?
step slightly across with your other leg, plant it, then swing your front leg.
__________________
*)Melechesh
scepticILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
mrmyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 812
mrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Guy Metzger and Genki attack of the front foot too.

It comes from TMA and it is harder to get power into it as the leg doesn't get as much of a swing and the power is generated with the knee as well as the hip.
yeah its from tma. I can do it pretty well because ive been training it for a number of years. You try to use speed to compensate for the lack of power you cant get as much hip rotation with it because it is the lead leg but there are ways to get around that.

1. you can switch stances and launch. the thais do that a lot where you switch your stance real fast while your standing and then launch a kick with the other leg and its as strong as your reat leg.

2. you can kick using the ball of the foot and it will deliver more damage then if you hit with the shin.

3. you can pick your angles for the lead leg kick so you can get full hip extention. What I do is I use my jab to position the other person then launch it when they are where I want it or if they get in that range I will launch it.

GSP mainly uses it as a leg jab and uses it as a combination lead leg and when he recoils it he follows it up with a loaded up right cross. Works really well together.
__________________
MMA Pics Record
15 - 4 - 1
mrmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios