MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Standup Technique (http://www.mmaforum.com/standup-technique/)
-   -   Please critique my thai kicks (http://www.mmaforum.com/standup-technique/73981-please-critique-my-thai-kicks.html)

RIPPER 03-28-2010 10:56 AM

Please critique my thai kicks
 
As most of you know, I've only been at this a few months...please critique my thai kicks and let me know what I need to improve on and maybe even what I'm doing well?

http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/x...ent=192923.flv

Qwertty 03-28-2010 01:12 PM

work on getting your knee(on the striking leg) up higher. Going up on your toes and twisting your hips a bit more will help with that. Your shin should be traveling downward or at least across when it hits, not up. And with your right hand, try reaching out in front of you and "pull" your body towards the bag, kinda like your grabbing the air and pulling it. This will also protect your face while you start the kick

Qwertty 03-28-2010 01:13 PM

This video is pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YpCcJ2SnDs

jcal 03-28-2010 01:44 PM

Theres not much to critique. Its pretty good for a beginner. Just keep practicing. I like to stay on the ball of my foot (my lead leg) when throwing kicks, especially back to back rapid fire kicks. I get more power out of it and it helps my balance. Check your stationary lead leg on your double kicks and notice your foot is not pivoting. Thats a error everybody makes when they first start. Usually you will notice this when your kicking the thai pads for multiple rapid fire kicks and your falling off balance or your not getting the power that your first kick had. Easy adjustment.

stoney2677 03-29-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIPPER (Post 1145931)
As most of you know, I've only been at this a few months...please critique my thai kicks and let me know what I need to improve on and maybe even what I'm doing well?

http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/x...ent=192923.flv

good explanation from "the man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5iTWCwlZyM

jcal 03-30-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoney2677 (Post 1147781)
good explanation from "the man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5iTWCwlZyM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoney2677 (Post 1147781)
good explanation from "the man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5iTWCwlZyM

Bas is right if your only throwing a single kick, if your gonna throw 2 or more kicks back to back you need to pivot on your lead foot or you will not be able to reset between kicks and keep your balance. Watch their feet (they were both world champions)

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=OE7p-baxBTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=y4fFAQ_Gccc

punchbag 03-30-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertty (Post 1146106)
work on getting your knee(on the striking leg) up higher. Going up on your toes and twisting your hips a bit more will help with that. Your shin should be traveling downward or at least across when it hits, not up. And with your right hand, try reaching out in front of you and "pull" your body towards the bag, kinda like your grabbing the air and pulling it. This will also protect your face while you start the kick

Good description Qwerty, the only other thing I can add is when the kick ends e.g hits the target, your front foot left in this case, should be facing almost behind you as pivot left on the ball of your foot and turn your hips in same direction, this should be 1 fluid motion through the target, instead of hitting it and pulling away when you do so. As your quite a big fella you should be able to do some good damage when you learn the right technique.
The only other thing is you'll know when it's about right as you'll notice more of a quiet thud more than a loud slap when the kick hits the pads.

Good examples are Buakaw por pramuk, Gilbert Yvel, Mirko Cro Cop to name a few.

Zemelya 03-30-2010 05:16 PM

looks like you have problems with returning the leg back to original position.

work on the kicks, try different approaches, see what works for you

jcal 03-30-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchbag (Post 1148368)
Good description Qwerty, the only other thing I can add is when the kick ends e.g hits the target, your front foot left in this case, should be facing almost behind you as pivot left on the ball of your foot and turn your hips in same direction, this should be 1 fluid motion through the target, instead of hitting it and pulling away when you do so. As your quite a big fella you should be able to do some good damage when you learn the right technique.
The only other thing is you'll know when it's about right as you'll notice more of a quiet thud more than a loud slap when the kick hits the pads.
Good examples are Buakaw por pramuk, Gilbert Yvel, Mirko Cro Cop to name a few.

This is true if your kicking a banana bag or a human body but usually when your kicking a heavybag the circumference of it is a lot bigger than a body so even a perfectly placed kick will have some foot contact and make a pop instead of a thud. The bag I usually kick is so big that if I kick it to make a thud per say, I would have knee contact lol:)

punchbag 03-31-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcal (Post 1148477)
This is true if your kicking a banana bag or a human body but usually when your kicking a heavybag the circumference of it is a lot bigger than a body so even a perfectly placed kick will have some foot contact and make a pop instead of a thud. The bag I usually kick is so big that if I kick it to make a thud per say, I would have knee contact lol:)

Ha ha, I'm from the U.K we haven't progressed to kicking heavy bags yet, we still practice on the weekends by kicking idiots out of nightclubs. But yes it's my bad, I spoke about kicking thai pads but you are right about where the foot meets the shin bone if your kicking the heavy bag.
Overall by far the best way to improve technique is to join a Muay thai gym, you'll learn from more experienced guys and learn correct technique, and get to see how it works in sparring if you like that.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2