MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Standup Technique (http://www.mmaforum.com/standup-technique/)
-   -   So My Buddy Asked Me to Show him how to Box (http://www.mmaforum.com/standup-technique/84192-so-my-buddy-asked-me-show-him-how-box.html)

Onganju 11-17-2010 11:42 PM

So My Buddy Asked Me to Show him how to Box
 
And as a result, I've been training him in the very basics of Boxing on the weekends. Let me tell you about my friend. He's not too athletic of physically talented. In fact, you might find him to be slightly awkward in physical appearance and mannerisms. He's had a few years of TMA training about a decade ago, but aside from that I guess you could qualify him as a stereotypical Computer/Video Game geek. So, I'm assuming no prior knowledge or boxing experience and I'm starting from scratch.

It's been an interesting few weeks. Since this is the first time I'm actually teaching someone anything about the Martial Arts in a structured manner, I decided that I'd keep a record of it. I have them here in my blogs. If you like, please read up on them and tell me what you think.

My Blog

BearInTheClinch 12-27-2010 04:16 AM

some times people with little or no talent wind up as your best students

Kin 12-31-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onganju (Post 1302820)
And as a result, I've been training him in the very basics of Boxing on the weekends. Let me tell you about my friend. He's not too athletic of physically talented. In fact, you might find him to be slightly awkward in physical appearance and mannerisms. He's had a few years of TMA training about a decade ago, but aside from that I guess you could qualify him as a stereotypical Computer/Video Game geek. So, I'm assuming no prior knowledge or boxing experience and I'm starting from scratch.

It's been an interesting few weeks. Since this is the first time I'm actually teaching someone anything about the Martial Arts in a structured manner, I decided that I'd keep a record of it. I have them here in my blogs. If you like, please read up on them and tell me what you think.

My Blog

Is his last name Almodovar?

Onganju 01-01-2011 07:46 AM

Aww Hell Kin... You have been following my posts for a while! LOL! Yes, that is he. Wow...

Small world isn't it?

Onganju 01-01-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearInTheClinch (Post 1328102)
some times people with little or no talent wind up as your best students

Actually, it's kind of funny. You see, since he has no preconceived notion as to what a punch should "look like" he's a lot more open to actually just doing what is instructed. It's like working with a blank slate. No time wasted at all "undoing/untraining" bad habits.

montblanc512 01-01-2011 09:04 AM

Sounds like me... I started with a guy who'd been boxing for a year, and I was 300lbs and never did a serious day of training in my life, but within a couple months we were evenly sparring because I didn't know jack t ostart with and he had to relearn a ton of things because he was self trained. I don't believe in natural ability, I think anyone could be great with the right motivation.

Hell, what you're doing with your buddy to start with was a lot more than I could start with. ten pushups would have been impossible for me.

BearInTheClinch 01-01-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onganju (Post 1331098)
Actually, it's kind of funny. You see, since he has no preconceived notion as to what a punch should "look like" he's a lot more open to actually just doing what is instructed. It's like working with a blank slate. No time wasted at all "undoing/untraining" bad habits.

generally women are the same way


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2