Show yourself in action! (Video Thread) - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:17 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
ViKtoricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
                     


My left shin is sooooo sore right now...

It's hard to imagine seeing those Thai boxers doing it with a bamboo tree.

Telling a weightlifter that deep squats are bad for the knees is like telling a kickboxer that footwork is a bad strategy...
ViKtoricus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,754
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKtoricus View Post


My left shin is sooooo sore right now...

It's hard to imagine seeing those Thai boxers doing it with a bamboo tree.
Thanks for sharing. Do you take Muay Thai classes at all? Your technique is quite a long way for being impressive. (no offense) you can improve, anyone can, just get a good coach.

I still have respect for you for posting this here, I SUCK at explaining technique on the Internet so hopefully Kin or even Ironman can come and help you out.

Intermission is offline  
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
The Fun Police
 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 11,301
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKtoricus View Post


My left shin is sooooo sore right now...

It's hard to imagine seeing those Thai boxers doing it with a bamboo tree.
Thanks for posting. regardless of your level it is always interesting to see how others train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
Thanks for sharing. Do you take Muay Thai classes at all? Your technique is quite a long way for being impressive. (no offense) you can improve, anyone can, just get a good coach.

I still have respect for you for posting this here, I SUCK at explaining technique on the Internet so hopefully Kin or even Ironman can come and help you out.
I can give a few pointers.

When you throw a punch you arent throwing from you hips, meaning you are losing power by using your arms only.

You are dropping your hands when you throw. When you throw a left, keep that right up to prtect your face, same goes for throwing a right... otherwise you'll get knocked out.

You arent turning your hips, or pivoting your foot when you kick

You are over committing with your elbows, which is throwing you waaaay off balance.

you are also really static, try and be a bit lighter on your feet.


good luck with your training!! and again, thanks for posting dude.



Killz is offline  
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Ultra-weight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Posts: 6,089
                     
I'll post up some video but I don't have a lot. I f'd up a rib and its taking forever to heal so it might be a wile till I get video worth sharing.
slapshot is offline  
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
ViKtoricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
                     
Intermission and Killstarz, thanks for the kind words.

I have yet to take any Muay Thai classes. There are classes in this gym, but I'd rather take the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes while toying around with the heavy bag.

I should post a video of one of my first sparring sessions with a jiu jitsu dude.

Telling a weightlifter that deep squats are bad for the knees is like telling a kickboxer that footwork is a bad strategy...
ViKtoricus is offline  
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM
The Fun Police
 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 11,301
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKtoricus View Post
Intermission and Killstarz, thanks for the kind words.

I have yet to take any Muay Thai classes. There are classes in this gym, but I'd rather take the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes while toying around with the heavy bag.

I should post a video of one of my first sparring sessions with a jiu jitsu dude.
I'd get some standup lessons first rather than just toying about on the bag. you'll develop loads of bad habits without proper guidance, that you will find hard to get rid of after a while.


Also PLEASE wrap your hands when you hit the bag. I know tonnes of guys who dont and every one of them has injured wrists/hands etc.

good luck with your Jits training as well



Killz is offline  
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,754
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killstarz View Post
I'd get some standup lessons first rather than just toying about on the bag. you'll develop loads of bad habits without proper guidance, that you will find hard to get rid of after a while.


Also PLEASE wrap your hands when you hit the bag. I know tonnes of guys who dont and every one of them has injured wrists/hands etc.

good luck with your Jits training as well
I was going to say the same, you didn't wrap your hands, thats a no no my friend.

Intermission is offline  
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
ViKtoricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killstarz View Post
You arent turning your hips, or pivoting your foot when you kick


Hmmm... I think I do. I think the video cam was simply set at a bad angle. If you were to see how my lead foot is whenever I throw my kicks, it always goes into the "power position" before I raise my rear leg. My lead leg at that moment is in a 45-degree angle from my view.

But about those punches... Yeah. lol. My chin is like way wide open.

Telling a weightlifter that deep squats are bad for the knees is like telling a kickboxer that footwork is a bad strategy...
ViKtoricus is offline  
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
ViKtoricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
I was going to say the same, you didn't wrap your hands, thats a no no my friend.
I bought those "athletic tape" at Walmart. They're sticky and they ended up being all "twisty" when I took them off.

Are there any specific type of tape can you recommend? Preferably the ones that are not sticky?!

Telling a weightlifter that deep squats are bad for the knees is like telling a kickboxer that footwork is a bad strategy...
ViKtoricus is offline  
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,754
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKtoricus View Post
I bought those "athletic tape" at Walmart. They're sticky and they ended up being all "twisty" when I took them off.

Are there any specific type of tape can you recommend? Preferably the ones that are not sticky?!
Not tape my friend, handwraps. They are cotton made and are reusable, check out www.MMAWarehouse.com and look for handwraps. I'm pretty sure BadBoy has a good 3 pack.

Intermission is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome