Video of myself - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply

Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
CAN I GET AN AMEN?
 
xxpillowxxjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 1,561
xxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crosses
Video of myself

Hey guys my names Joseph Pillow. Im 18 years old and have done 2 kick boxing classes. I did twd when i was little. I am a very big mma fan and have watched many videos of techniques and other things. This is me on the bag for a bit. Before this i had already been practicing for about 30 mins so yeh im already a little tired.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXYU...el_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41j2b...el_video_title

what you guys think?

Last edited by HitOrGetHit : 04-12-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Embedded Videos
xxpillowxxjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gone Hunting
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gods country
Posts: 4,400
Blog Entries: 2
Rusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings System
Can't embed it but not bad. Gonna have to endure alot of pillow jokes though unfortunately. Pillow Hands as a nickname would be ironic if you turn out to be a power puncher. Would be pretty cool.

Good luck with it
__________________

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
CAN I GET AN AMEN?
 
xxpillowxxjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 1,561
xxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRenegade View Post
Can't embed it but not bad. Gonna have to endure alot of pillow jokes though unfortunately. Pillow Hands as a nickname would be ironic if you turn out to be a power puncher. Would be pretty cool.

Good luck with it
haha true that but i think id have a hard time taking that nick name from chael sonnen though.
xxpillowxxjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tap Snap or Nap
 
Relavate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 341
Relavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant futureRelavate has a brilliant future
Not bad, but hitting a bag dosent show anything other then your form. Get out there and spar.
__________________


"Im probably better off down there on my knees anyway" -Dick Diaz
Relavate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
CAN I GET AN AMEN?
 
xxpillowxxjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 1,561
xxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relavate View Post
Not bad, but hitting a bag dosent show anything other then your form. Get out there and spar.
Thanks, Yes im going to join a gym (memphis judo & jj) this summer as i will have the money and time to do so.
xxpillowxxjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 417
luger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of light
one question why are you throwing those beautiful leg strikes flat-footed?
__________________


Throughout life there are bumps along the way some may be painful...others not...who gives a damn in the end you'll still die
luger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
CAN I GET AN AMEN?
 
xxpillowxxjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 1,561
xxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luger0 View Post
one question why are you throwing those beautiful leg strikes flat-footed?
i guess thats something i need to start working on. I spent alot of time working on my foot work and staying on the balls of my feet with my punches but i guess i didnt incorporate that with my kicks. Thanks for pointing that out i will definately start working on that.
xxpillowxxjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squirrel Fighting Champ
 
Squirrelfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 4
Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Honestly some of the most developed stuff I've seen in videos since Pheelgood and Kin.

The movement is very solid and quick, my only issues with footwork are that you were only moving in one direction. That can eventually be picked up on and countered. Also depending on the opponent's stance, only moving one direction can move you into his power.

When it comes to the kicks, I think more variety is something to work on. Add in some leg kicks and push kicks, that speed of movement can put you in a situation where you land a kick, and are already moving before your opponent's counter can land.

Was that a heel kick or a side kick chained off the roundhouse in the first video? Either way, try to plant a bit more on the roundhouse if you're going to chain it, its a big test of balance to perform one of those with any power.

When it comes to planting on your whole foot when you throw a kick. There's nothing wrong with that, it all depends on what your strategy is for sprawling and countering. If your plan is to root, and to move inside to evade the counter, a flat-footed kick is better. However if you want to evade the takedown, and slip outside to defend the counter, standing up on the ball of your foot is better.

Head movement was something that I think was missing too. Its hard to work evasive head movement without someone throwing fists at your head, but just general head movement, side to side at the waist and shoulders makes your face a much harder target to track.
__________________


Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Halfraq9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Monroe, WA USA
Posts: 314
Halfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to behold
Here is what I saw in terms of needed improvement..
- Keep your right hand up, even on hooks. You leave yourself open alot.
- When you knee, keep your knee above your foot

In short, not bad but you need to work on technique and tighten it up a little.
Halfraq9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
CAN I GET AN AMEN?
 
xxpillowxxjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 1,561
xxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crossesxxpillowxxjp Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfraq9 View Post
Here is what I saw in terms of needed improvement..
- Keep your right hand up, even on hooks. You leave yourself open alot.
- When you knee, keep your knee above your foot

In short, not bad but you need to work on technique and tighten it up a little.
Thanks. Didnt notice i was leaving myself open as much as i was. I will apply that to all my knees also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
Honestly some of the most developed stuff I've seen in videos since Pheelgood and Kin.

The movement is very solid and quick, my only issues with footwork are that you were only moving in one direction. That can eventually be picked up on and countered. Also depending on the opponent's stance, only moving one direction can move you into his power.

When it comes to the kicks, I think more variety is something to work on. Add in some leg kicks and push kicks, that speed of movement can put you in a situation where you land a kick, and are already moving before your opponent's counter can land.

Was that a heel kick or a side kick chained off the roundhouse in the first video? Either way, try to plant a bit more on the roundhouse if you're going to chain it, its a big test of balance to perform one of those with any power.

When it comes to planting on your whole foot when you throw a kick. There's nothing wrong with that, it all depends on what your strategy is for sprawling and countering. If your plan is to root, and to move inside to evade the counter, a flat-footed kick is better. However if you want to evade the takedown, and slip outside to defend the counter, standing up on the ball of your foot is better.

Head movement was something that I think was missing too. Its hard to work evasive head movement without someone throwing fists at your head, but just general head movement, side to side at the waist and shoulders makes your face a much harder target to track.
Yeh, i actually do normally throw more leg kicks but my bag is about 2 1/2 feet off the ground so when i go for the leg kick im hitting near the bottom where it is very hard. Dont get me wrong, during warm ups i do 20 of each kick/punch from both left and right sides, i just dont do it much on this bag because it isnt a tall bag.

The heel kick is something ive been messing around with recently and i actually dont have much of a problem staying balanced when i chain it. I dont think its that powerful but mixing it up and being unorthodox is something that is becoming more and more important in mma nowadays so thats why i have been doing it.




Thanks for all the feedback guys, i really appreciate it.
xxpillowxxjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios