Is it really practical to swing my hips when doing a roundhouse kick? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Standup Technique MMA Standup fighting techniques.

Reply

Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
ViKtoricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
ViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enough
Is it really practical to swing my hips when doing a roundhouse kick?

I've done a few heavy bag training recently and I noticed that although things like side-stepping and pivoting add power to my kick, it is EXTREMELY HARD to do a jab+cross+kick combo efficiently in that manner.

When I cross, I simply position my lead foot on an angle that makes power-angle kicking feasible. I do none of that pivoting or side-stepping crap.

Yes, I do notice that my kicks are "better" and more powerful IF (and this is a big IF) I only do the kick as a single attack, NOT a part or the ending of a combo.

The power I can generate without doing the fancy stuff doesn't seem to be significantly weaker compared to the flashy, muay-thaiy, kickboxingy, taekwondowy bullshit being taught everywhere. I mean, if your glutes, hammies, and quadriceps have power (which is accomplished through a regimen of Olympic-style weightlifting and heavy squats), your kicks WILL BE POWERFUL. All you need is a rock-solid shin or instep and you're gonna be the next Cro Cop.

So seriously? Is it even necessary to learn things like pivoting your rear foot, swinging your hips, and side-stepping to be a successful striker? I thought this was all about efficiency?

If true martial arts are all about efficiency, then why do we have to learn these impractical, inefficient things?
__________________
Telling a weightlifter that deep squats are bad for the knees is like telling a kickboxer that footwork is a bad strategy...
ViKtoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squirrel Fighting Champ
 
Squirrelfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 4
Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
This is like...wow...

A 1-2-power roundhouse is one of the most important combinations in combat sports. Keep doing it until you can do it right.

Turning your lead foot prior to throwing a roundhouse kick is pivoting your planting leg/foot, Turning = pivoting (synonyms). Whether it is done during the combination or after or before is immaterial, pivoting is pivoting.

Side stepping is crap? No, side-stepping is one of the most fundamental components of combat sports. Its called lateral movement.

Proper rotation of the body, and alignment of the leg, hip, spine and associated musculature of the leg, hip, core are where kicking power comes from. Almost all of the real power from a roundhouse kick come from the rotation.

Unless you are turning your hips, its physically impossible to land a kick with your shin bone or instep.

Practice and get it right, or quit.
__________________


Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
ViKtoricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
ViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
This is like...wow...

A 1-2-power roundhouse is one of the most important combinations in combat sports. Keep doing it until you can do it right.

Turning your lead foot prior to throwing a roundhouse kick is pivoting your planting leg/foot, Turning = pivoting (synonyms). Whether it is done during the combination or after or before is immaterial, pivoting is pivoting.

Side stepping is crap? No, side-stepping is one of the most fundamental components of combat sports. Its called lateral movement.

Proper rotation of the body, and alignment of the leg, hip, spine and associated musculature of the leg, hip, core are where kicking power comes from. Almost all of the real power from a roundhouse kick come from the rotation.

Unless you are turning your hips, its physically impossible to land a kick with your shin bone or instep.

Practice and get it right, or quit.


So is it fair to say that things don't necessarily have to be perfect, but one must at least get a solid grasp of the basics?
__________________
Telling a weightlifter that deep squats are bad for the knees is like telling a kickboxer that footwork is a bad strategy...
ViKtoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,703
Intermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings System
No, the basics are called basics for a reason, lateral movement, pivoting and turning your hips MUST be perfect. Hell, do it in SLOW motion if you need to, just get it right.
__________________
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squirrel Fighting Champ
 
Squirrelfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 4
Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKtoricus View Post
So is it fair to say that things don't necessarily have to be perfect, but one must at least get a solid grasp of the basics?
No, the basics are the foundation, they must be flawless. Think of it the same way you would think of lifting.

The depth, and body mechanics of a squat must be perfect for one to recieve the fullest benefits. Anything less than perfect mechanics can lead to serious injury. Or in the case of MMA, a knockout loss.
__________________


Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,353
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
I like the new troll angle
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
ViKtoricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
ViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enoughViKtoricus will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
No, the basics are the foundation, they must be flawless. Think of it the same way you would think of lifting.

The depth, and body mechanics of a squat must be perfect for one to recieve the fullest benefits. Anything less than perfect mechanics can lead to serious injury. Or in the case of MMA, a knockout loss.
Don't ever compare weightlifting to MMA. MMA is like powerlifting. They are underground sports that will never make it to the Olympics.

It is undeniable that a former Olympic Weightlifter who at least maintains his level of power and strength will have a much MUCH more powerful roundhouse kick than a "Muay Thai/K-1/UFC champion" who's been training for decades (granted of course, the Olympic Weightlifter at least is capable of delivering a roundhouse kick with optimal technique with full speed).

Like I said, do not ever dare compare MMA to weightlifting. I get offended when people compare inferior sports to a real sport.
__________________
Telling a weightlifter that deep squats are bad for the knees is like telling a kickboxer that footwork is a bad strategy...
ViKtoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,703
Intermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings System
What the hell are you talking about? He compared that fact that if your technique in weight lifting is off then you won't maximize potential results, just like in MMA. Seriously dude...
__________________
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKtoricus View Post
Don't ever compare weightlifting to MMA. MMA is like powerlifting. They are underground sports that will never make it to the Olympics.

It is undeniable that a former Olympic Weightlifter who at least maintains his level of power and strength will have a much MUCH more powerful roundhouse kick than a "Muay Thai/K-1/UFC champion" who's been training for decades (granted of course, the Olympic Weightlifter at least is capable of delivering a roundhouse kick with optimal technique with full speed).

Like I said, do not ever dare compare MMA to weightlifting. I get offended when people compare inferior sports to a real sport.
Yea brah, weightlifting is like the true sport and stuff. They do that shit in the olympics, its like based on greek shit.

Brah if a dude lifts like 900lbs then he could probably like kick down entire bamboo trees and crush bricks with his balls. Technique is for pussies to weak deadlift 500lbs amirite brah?

True that brah, life is all about this weight lifting yo. mma is for panzies who try and hug each other and stuff, only test of a real man is how many plates i can squat.

__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.




Last edited by xeberus : 08-30-2011 at 11:25 PM.
xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Outta My Head
 
Onganju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 1,220
Blog Entries: 11
Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKtoricus View Post
I've done a few heavy bag training recently and I noticed that although things like side-stepping and pivoting add power to my kick, it is EXTREMELY HARD to do a jab+cross+kick combo efficiently in that manner.

When I cross, I simply position my lead foot on an angle that makes power-angle kicking feasible. I do none of that pivoting or side-stepping crap.

Yes, I do notice that my kicks are "better" and more powerful IF (and this is a big IF) I only do the kick as a single attack, NOT a part or the ending of a combo.

The power I can generate without doing the fancy stuff doesn't seem to be significantly weaker compared to the flashy, muay-thaiy, kickboxingy, taekwondowy bullshit being taught everywhere. I mean, if your glutes, hammies, and quadriceps have power (which is accomplished through a regimen of Olympic-style weightlifting and heavy squats), your kicks WILL BE POWERFUL. All you need is a rock-solid shin or instep and you're gonna be the next Cro Cop.

So seriously? Is it even necessary to learn things like pivoting your rear foot, swinging your hips, and side-stepping to be a successful striker? I thought this was all about efficiency?

If true martial arts are all about efficiency, then why do we have to learn these impractical, inefficient things?
Huh? Wow... My eyes are hurting.

To answer your question: Is it Is it really practical to swing my hips when doing a roundhouse kick?

Answer: Yes. If you're doing it right, it would be impossible not to.
__________________
It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree... As long as I don't bore you and I spark a moment of thought, my goal is achieved.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios