I keep the McAfee removal tool on my flash drive for when I work on computers. I caught my mother going into her regsitry and removing McAfee entries, but I think I scared her away from messing with the registry anymore..
As a beginner tech I appreciate any suggestions for helpful tools that I can get.
In that case here are some great tools you should look into in case you haven't already.
Download these programs and if you want tips on how to use them just ask.
1. Autoruns. Similar to hijackthis but much better.
2. Smitrem - removes a bunch of trojans & vundo infections pretty fast but might be detected as a virus but I assure you it's not.
3. Smitfraudfix - good to use after running smitrem and same description applies.
4. Dial a fix - fixes small issues within the OS and worth using if registry keys are changed by a virus.
5. Vundofix - removes vundo viruses
6. Virtumondobegone - if it finds a vundo infection you'll get a bluescreen. Just reboot, it's normal.
7. Atf cleaner or CCleaner. - removes useless files off a system.
8. Killbox - Only use this if you have an infection that keeps coming back after you remove it. Save the path to the file and put that path in the search field of the program and ask it to remove it, and the infection will stop coming back.
9. Combofix - I love this program, it's great at removing infections and fixing corruption on a system. Runs in like 3 or 5 minutes. Only thing is the time will change to military time once it's done and you'll have to go to the control panel and change it back. Also don't run it with Vista. One example is if a system has no desktop icons or start button anymore, and you hit control, alt, del, and get this program to run, you'll have it all back once it's done.
All I can think of for now.
Note: Only use 1, 4, 7 and 8 with Vista. The rest will mess vista up cause vista sucks and doesn't give those programs full permission to do the job they're trying to do.