The Nick Diaz Sky High Tri Try - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

SIGNIN 

 

Register Now

Not a member yet? Join today - its free!
Training Logs An area to document your training in a journal-format to help benefit others from your routines.

Reply

Old 02-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 8,382
Blog Entries: 1
oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
The Nick Diaz Sky High Tri Try

So... I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I'm in moderately good shape for my age. Currently I run 2 days a week in the real world. Either on the trails of a local park, on the beach or just through my neighborhood for a total of 6 miles more or less. I go to gold's gym 2 days a week for strength training and I run on the treadmill there for another 6-8 miles per week. The other 3 days a week I try to do something fun. At least one kickbox cardio class a week and or sometimes yoga. Sometimes I just follow an old jack Lallane show and jump rope whenever Jack stops to talk. I do something every day. I'm in fair shape.

Sometimes I need a boost in motivation. I need a change. I've been looking for a new challenge. One that doesn't involve guys my age kicking me in the head or cranking on my neck. One day it came to me while I was smoking a joint and reading an article about Nick Diaz .

I'm going to do a TRIATHLON. I'll be running in my first 5k in a couple of weeks and I don't think my knees can handle a lot more running than that. A triathlon will force me to increase my endurance dramatically without increasing the miles I put on my knees. I just have to start swimming and biking.

I've barely been on a bike since I was a kid and although I've always claimed to be a good swimmer, all that really means is that I'm confident I won't drown when I fall off my surfboard. I've never swam for distance. I've never biked competitively. I've never had any coaching for either. Gulp.

There is a sprint distance Tri with an open ocean swim at a beach close to me june 6th. Gulp.

Challenge accepted. And to honor Nick properly for his inspiration, I intend to complete my first triathlon at age 53 as HIGH AS I CAN GET.

I don't even own a bike right now and the only place I have to swim, the local YMCA just had a fire, but I started my training today anyway.

Today at the gym I started with 20 minutes on an elliptical using my arms as much as possible and keeping my heart rate around 140 the whole time. Then I worked chest shoulders and abs for a 40 minute workout with no rest between sets, keeping my heart rate above 130. Then I finished with 15 minutes on a bike followed immediately by a 15 minute easy run on the treadmill (my first brick )

right now my plan is to keep doing what I'm doing and increase the bike/run at the end of my workout by a couple of minutes each time I train. I know I'm a long way from Iron man but you have to start somewhere. I have a little more than 3 months .easy peasy.

.Now I challenge all of you potheads on this forum to get up. Training high is a lot more fun than sitting on the couch high. If Nick can do this we can.

TAKE THE NICK DIAZ SKY HIGH TRI TRY.
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,430
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
I've always wanted to do this and prolly will try to complete it somewhere down the line. I know I'll be last, but it doesn't matter. Use to run 5k - five days a week, biking I can do, swimming unfortunately I can not. Running on pavement will jack up your knees for sure.

Knew someone who did this. The only thing I got from him was dieting and doing it gradually rather than jumping in.

Blog your daily regimen or at least one weekly. Good luck dude!
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 8,382
Blog Entries: 1
oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Mercy View Post
I've always wanted to do this and prolly will try to complete it somewhere down the line. I know I'll be last, but it doesn't matter. Use to run 5k - five days a week, biking I can do, swimming unfortunately I can not. Running on pavement will jack up your knees for sure.

Knew someone who did this. The only thing I got from him was dieting and doing it gradually rather than jumping in.

Blog your daily regimen or at least one weekly. Good luck dude!
THANKS.

as for being last...it's all a matter of perspective. It wouldn't surprise me to be last overall as well as last in my age group BUT... among stoned "Marlboro men" with 30 plus years experience, I like my chances to win

I'm a little intimidated by the swim but that's part of the fun. As soon as the Y gets back up and running I'll be there. hitting the ocean for a 1/2 mile swim in a heard of competitors while stoned should be a memorable experience. I'm more excited about working out than I've been in a long time.
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 3,409
Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
__________________
Voiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,430
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
I can see the head line news on Reddit.

OldFan wins iron man contest, but tests positive for THC. Stripped of title, but gets sponsors from High Times, assorted bong companies, and gets an invite to train with Nick Diaz.
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 8,382
Blog Entries: 1
oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Mercy View Post
I can see the head line news on Reddit.

OldFan wins iron man contest, but tests positive for THC. Stripped of title, but gets sponsors from High Times, assorted bong companies, and gets an invite to train with Nick Diaz.
That all sounds good my friend but there's no reason for me to get all the glory. Come join me. Give yourself plenty of time to get ready and just do it! You know you want to.

Today was supposed to be a run in the “real world” day. But my real world is just too cold and wet and nasty today so, I went to the gym and did a slow and easy 40 minute run on the tread mill surrounded by beautiful, fit women. I love fit women. It's my favorite thing about going to the gym. Sometimes when I'm out in public it seems like the whole world is fat. Seriously. It's so bad that when I see a skinny woman, my first thought is “fit or strung out”?? At least at the gym the answer is usually fit.

Slow and easy seems to be the only way I can run. It's part genetics, part age and part the roughly million Marlboros I smoked. I feel like I can keep an 11minute/mile pace all day long but as soon as I get much faster than 10minute/mile my heart rate goes crazy. It's frustrating and one of the reasons I was looking for a change. I want to increase my VO2 max before the C.O.P.D. and emphysema set in. Today I just focused on breathing through my nose nice and steady.

Tomorrow is an off day. I'm looking on youtube for a fun flexibility workout. If anyone has any suggestions please post.

Y'all get off the couch and join me.
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
YNWA
 
Spite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 2,569
Spite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
That all sounds good my friend but there's no reason for me to get all the glory. Come join me. Give yourself plenty of time to get ready and just do it! You know you want to.

Today was supposed to be a run in the “real world” day. But my real world is just too cold and wet and nasty today so, I went to the gym and did a slow and easy 40 minute run on the tread mill surrounded by beautiful, fit women. I love fit women. It's my favorite thing about going to the gym. Sometimes when I'm out in public it seems like the whole world is fat. Seriously. It's so bad that when I see a skinny woman, my first thought is “fit or strung out”?? At least at the gym the answer is usually fit.

Slow and easy seems to be the only way I can run. It's part genetics, part age and part the roughly million Marlboros I smoked. I feel like I can keep an 11minute/mile pace all day long but as soon as I get much faster than 10minute/mile my heart rate goes crazy. It's frustrating and one of the reasons I was looking for a change. I want to increase my VO2 max before the C.O.P.D. and emphysema set in. Today I just focused on breathing through my nose nice and steady.

Tomorrow is an off day. I'm looking on youtube for a fun flexibility workout. If anyone has any suggestions please post.

Y'all get off the couch and join me.
I defo need to shed some pounds... about 60 should bring me back to my health level. Will be looking at weights to help rather than cardio though - love weights, hate cardio.

So, have you been diagnosed with COPD - I take it you were a 40-a-day man.
__________________
Spite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,430
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
That's pretty good considering you were/are a smoker.

One thing you should get is a foam roller for glutes, hamstring, calf, and especially for the back. Works wonders after a heavy work out!
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 8,382
Blog Entries: 1
oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spite View Post
I defo need to shed some pounds... about 60 should bring me back to my health level. Will be looking at weights to help rather than cardio though - love weights, hate cardio.

So, have you been diagnosed with COPD - I take it you were a 40-a-day man.
No, I haven't been diagnosed with anything but family and personal history say I will.
Yes, 2 packs a day was an average. for a few years I smoked 3.

I've always enjoyed lifting weights and hated cardio too. But, my shoulders are in worse shape than my knees and i have just about every "itis there is so I have to go light and very carefully.

I believe for good health you need both equally. No matter how strong you make yourself, you're weak when you gas.
In my humble opinion, Diet is twice as important as both types of exercise combined. I believe that proper nutrition is the key to life. The standard American diet is pure poison and we have multiple billion dollar industries to treat the symptoms of that poison so we can keep poisoning ourselves.
My completely unsolicited advice is this: The easiest way to reach your ideal weight is to eat "real food" and drink water. Do not consume products. By products I mean if it comes in a package with a list of ingredients That sound like a chemistry set. By real food I mean only eat things that you can recognize as Having once been alive. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, berries, meat, eggs, seafood. eat as many raw foods as you can.
Stay away from anything that contains sugar or flour, any kind of flour and any kind of sugar, these things are poison. When you drink sugar it gets turned into fat no matter how much you exercise. If you do all that you can eat as much as you want and still find your ideal weight. ....and it's all good food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Mercy View Post
That's pretty good considering you were/are a smoker.

One thing you should get is a foam roller for glutes, hamstring, calf, and especially for the back. Works wonders after a heavy work out!
You're just going to ignore my invite??


today's a recovery day. I jumped rope while I watched the morning news and that's probably all I'll do today.
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
YNWA
 
Spite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 2,569
Spite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF MaterialSpite Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
No, I haven't been diagnosed with anything but family and personal history say I will.
Yes, 2 packs a day was an average. for a few years I smoked 3.

I've always enjoyed lifting weights and hated cardio too. But, my shoulders are in worse shape than my knees and i have just about every "itis there is so I have to go light and very carefully.

I believe for good health you need both equally. No matter how strong you make yourself, you're weak when you gas.
In my humble opinion, Diet is twice as important as both types of exercise combined. I believe that proper nutrition is the key to life. The standard American diet is pure poison and we have multiple billion dollar industries to treat the symptoms of that poison so we can keep poisoning ourselves.
My completely unsolicited advice is this: The easiest way to reach your ideal weight is to eat "real food" and drink water. Do not consume products. By products I mean if it comes in a package with a list of ingredients That sound like a chemistry set. By real food I mean only eat things that you can recognize as Having once been alive. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, berries, meat, eggs, seafood. eat as many raw foods as you can.
Stay away from anything that contains sugar or flour, any kind of flour and any kind of sugar, these things are poison. When you drink sugar it gets turned into fat no matter how much you exercise. If you do all that you can eat as much as you want and still find your ideal weight. ....and it's all good food.
I find that if I exercise I'm less likely to stuff my face with a pizza, its times when I'm not exercising that I let myself go on the food side of things.

Healthy body, healthy mind... and all that.
__________________
Spite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios