IronMan's Log - Page 11 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Training Logs An area to document your training in a journal-format to help benefit others from your routines.

Reply

Old 01-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #101 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
Judoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,379
Judoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Thanks IronMan that helped, I have been getting people in armbars heaps lately but still i miss some things in it and i think those points may help. I have been using my hips but i don't think i have in the transition.
Judoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #102 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio.e0 View Post
congrats on the 100th!
Thanks man. I know you're one of the more regular readers, and I appreciate it, along with the input you give on this section of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
Thanks IronMan that helped, I have been getting people in armbars heaps lately but still i miss some things in it and i think those points may help. I have been using my hips but i don't think i have in the transition.
Yeah, where you might be messing up too is where your hips are when you're trying to finish. I'm not saying you are, but it's really important to watch out for.

I've seen alot of guys who make that transition perfectly and fail to keep their hips tight and their heels pressed into their opponents (which also helps keep the hips tight) and that can really keep the armbar from being effective.

Make sure that, as you see in the pics, you keep your hips tight to your opponent. I try and keep myself as high as my opponents' shoulder, just to be sure, but in faster transitions I just try and keep it high.

If anybody's got any questions about stuff in my training, I'm always open to questions and comments.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #103 (permalink)
Das ▄bermensch
 
wukkadb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,634
wukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatness
What do you mean by keeping your heels tight to your opponent?
__________________



What a stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
The power of Aleks, his small baby and pimp hardcore dogs has granted you useful insight, my friend.
wukkadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #104 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by wukkadb View Post
What do you mean by keeping your heels tight to your opponent?
Good question.

The best way to apply the armbar from mount, or from guard (though it's much more difficult) is to keep your bottom heel pressed into your opponents ribs and your top heel trying to reach for your opponent's ear (it won't touch the ear, but the thought is that this will apply some additional pressure to the head with the calf and cinch up the armbar that much more), which will make sure that you are keeping your legs tight across the torso.

Now that I'm looking at the pictures I posted, I can see that Fedor is not doing that, because he had to adjust the angle of his armbar to account for the way that Coleman's sitting, though it would have been just as easy to pull Coleman down (which he does in the armbar used to finish their other fight) and finish him the way I've suggested.

Keeping the heels as tight to your opponent as you can will keep the legs bent, which will give you the opportunity to apply more pressure with your hips, making the armbar more powerful, as opposed to having your legs out straight, where you can have trouble extending all the way through the technique.

I'm glad you asked for the clarification. Did that help?
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:31 AM   #105 (permalink)
Das ▄bermensch
 
wukkadb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,634
wukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Good question.

The best way to apply the armbar from mount, or from guard (though it's much more difficult) is to keep your bottom heel pressed into your opponents ribs and your top heel trying to reach for your opponent's ear (it won't touch the ear, but the thought is that this will apply some additional pressure to the head with the calf and cinch up the armbar that much more), which will make sure that you are keeping your legs tight across the torso.

Now that I'm looking at the pictures I posted, I can see that Fedor is not doing that, because he had to adjust the angle of his armbar to account for the way that Coleman's sitting, though it would have been just as easy to pull Coleman down (which he does in the armbar used to finish their other fight) and finish him the way I've suggested.

Keeping the heels as tight to your opponent as you can will keep the legs bent, which will give you the opportunity to apply more pressure with your hips, making the armbar more powerful, as opposed to having your legs out straight, where you can have trouble extending all the way through the technique.

I'm glad you asked for the clarification. Did that help?
Yes, that does help. Thanks! I've also been having a lot of trouble with my arm triangles now that I think about it, care to give me a few pointers on how to improve those? I always set it up and I get it in pretty deep, but it seems like more of a neck crank than anything, which I know is wrong, because when you get a tight arm triangle in they go out really fast. Thanks in advance
__________________



What a stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
The power of Aleks, his small baby and pimp hardcore dogs has granted you useful insight, my friend.
wukkadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #106 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by wukkadb View Post
Yes, that does help. Thanks! I've also been having a lot of trouble with my arm triangles now that I think about it, care to give me a few pointers on how to improve those? I always set it up and I get it in pretty deep, but it seems like more of a neck crank than anything, which I know is wrong, because when you get a tight arm triangle in they go out really fast. Thanks in advance
Yeah, this is a problem I know that alot of guys have.

The secret that I've found to work the best is to really keep the arm you're putting across your opponent's neck (I call it the "collar arm," but it's just the arm that's cinching up the choke) low. If that arm is low, and doesn't slip up above your opponent's neck so that it starts compressing the chin, which causes the neck crank, the choke should be very effective.

The other is to keep the chest tilted a little bit instead of being flat. I've noticed that to sink in the submission alot of guys will flatten out the chest and that applies alot of neck compression that actually takes away from the blood choke, because the weight it being applied to the neck crank and not to the arm that should be cutting off bloodflow to the head.

The third tip is just a little adjustment I've picked up over the years to really help with this move.

When you are sinking the choke in, don't just grab your wrist and cinch the choke up using your body. Also cinch up the choke using your collar arm. This is easier in gi based jiu-jitsu where you have alot of handles on your shoulders and collar, but even in no-gi, you can tighten the choke up by putting your hand on your collarbone instead of using a simple wrist grip. This will also keep you from feeling like you need to really force the submission, which is alot of times how people end up in that neckcrank.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #107 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
rufio.e0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 988
rufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enough
Good Lord you're up early.

Something I've been having trouble with and maybe you could suggest something:

I almost always work from rubber guard when I'm on the bottom, so I have the opponent broken down... but when I go for the omo plata I have very little control of his posture. At first I thought they just knew what I was going for... and have been using it solely as a transition. Is there some key element to rolling for omo plata and keeping the guy's head controlled? (damn it's hard to describe jiu-jitsu without seeing it) If I do get it, instead of doing the traditional "arm over the back" to situp, I immediately overhook the close leg and pull up that way. When I do that I feel like I'm just overpowering the guy and not using good technique.

Also, I got a belt test today and was going over our requirements... ever heard of a "big boy reversal"?
__________________

Thanks to NikosCC for the sick sig!
rufio.e0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #108 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio.e0 View Post
Good Lord you're up early.
I get up and run a mile before I catch my 7 o'clock bus to school.

One of my coaches: You can sleep when you're dead.


Quote:
Something I've been having trouble with and maybe you could suggest something:

I almost always work from rubber guard when I'm on the bottom, so I have the opponent broken down... but when I go for the omo plata I have very little control of his posture. At first I thought they just knew what I was going for... and have been using it solely as a transition. Is there some key element to rolling for omo plata and keeping the guy's head controlled? (damn it's hard to describe jiu-jitsu without seeing it) If I do get it, instead of doing the traditional "arm over the back" to situp, I immediately overhook the close leg and pull up that way. When I do that I feel like I'm just overpowering the guy and not using good technique.
I'm not sure what move you're talking about at the end, but I'll address the beginning first before I start listing stuff that you should do to work the omo.

As far as breaking down your opponent and working for the omo, it's really about getting your body out from under his center without him turning and pushing his head into you, which can get to be a real problem.

Part of this is leg flexibility, and you really just need to practice working you legs up his back until you're slipping your foot past his head from rubber guard. Still, I know that not everybody is that flexible.

If you're looking for a quick fix, there really isn't one, it's just a slickness issue that you develop over time, but a few key things you might want think about:

Isolate the arm first by putting his hand on the floor. This will make the armlock that much easier to sink in and it will really help you force the head out.

Keep the hips high and the initial twist tight, when you start working for the submission. Some people make the mistake of hesitating, and if you stop in the middle, it's easy for your opponent to adjust his head. Once you've got the arm isolate, really working on keeping those hips tight (which can be done through drills or through training) is really an important factor.

Use your hand to push the head out as you are turning your hips. This will help you get to the leverage you want and finish the submission really tight. Even if he's trying to force his head in, the combination of using your hand to push his head in and using the hand also to adjust your hips out should make getting the position much easier.

If your problem is just keeping a grip on the guys head, that's just a practice thing, too. I don't know what else to say about that. Did I cover your problem?

As far as the finish, grabbing the belt (or the side, in the case of no-gi) isn't the only way to finish. If you go to your back and hook your opponent's leg right under the knee. This hook should be with your inside arm over your head, so that you're touching your shoulder. Make sure that your legs are tight, and do a barrel roll over your side. That's actually a sweep that will put you in sidemount with a different kind of control of the arm. I like to adjust to a reverse triangle from this position and finish with a kimura, but that's just my style.


Quote:
Also, I got a belt test today and was going over our requirements... ever heard of a "big boy reversal"?
It sounds like a term that your gym uses, though I'd imagine it's probably just an over-under reversal (or at least that's what it sounds like to me).

If you need help with it, take a shot at describing it and I'll see what I can do.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #109 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
rufio.e0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 988
rufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enoughrufio.e0 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I get up and run a mile before I catch my 7 o'clock bus to school.

One of my coaches: You can sleep when you're dead.
Mezger said that too... when I went to the Lions Den.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I don't know what else to say about that. Did I cover your problem?

Yup. I think my problem is (just based on the mental walkthrough) that I have a pause between when I roll and grab the leg .. and start to climb up his back. It's just not smooth enough, I'll keep practicing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
As far as the finish, grabbing the belt (or the side, in the case of no-gi) isn't the only way to finish. If you go to your back and hook your opponent's leg right under the knee. This hook should be with your inside arm over your head, so that you're touching your shoulder. Make sure that your legs are tight, and do a barrel roll over your side. That's actually a sweep that will put you in sidemount with a different kind of control of the arm. I like to adjust to a reverse triangle from this position and finish with a kimura, but that's just my style.
Never tried that... but I get how it works. I'll have to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
It sounds like a term that your gym uses, though I'd imagine it's probably just an over-under reversal (or at least that's what it sounds like to me).

If you need help with it, take a shot at describing it and I'll see what I can do.
Yeah I think it is. I can't describe it, because I can't remember what it is... haha. I remember asking before "What the hell is a big boy reversal?" (because it was on our list of requirements)... I remember he showed us and I recognized it. I just don't remember which move it was. Oh well...
__________________

Thanks to NikosCC for the sick sig!
rufio.e0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #110 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio.e0 View Post
Yeah I think it is.
As far as effectively using the over-under reversal when you're not dealing with a judo clinch, it's really important to keep your overhook tight and use your hips alot. Those are just general rules that apply to all of the techniques from that position, and just some food for thought.

Good luck with your test.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright ę 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios