My training and conditioning - Page 11 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Training Logs An area to document your training in a journal-format to help benefit others from your routines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Bantamweight
 
recon6991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 607
                     
You should talk to your strength trainer about learning olympic lifts, they have really solid carryover to applicable MMA strength. I know you didn't ask for it, but IMO, even just doing clean pulls and snatch pulls would help out. It seems like you are switching to more of a body building style of weight training, which, will certainly improve your looks but there are much better ways to strength train for MMA than that. Just my 2 cents, keep up the solid work.

I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.
recon6991 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
'Man of Stone'
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
mroutdoorsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 430
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon6991 View Post
You should talk to your strength trainer about learning olympic lifts, they have really solid carryover to applicable MMA strength. I know you didn't ask for it, but IMO, even just doing clean pulls and snatch pulls would help out. It seems like you are switching to more of a body building style of weight training, which, will certainly improve your looks but there are much better ways to strength train for MMA than that. Just my 2 cents, keep up the solid work.
Thanks. I was previously doing olympic lifts but my goal these two months to to gain ~10lbs of muscle and making good progress so far. I want to be able to cut ~10lbs of water weight pre-fight instead of just fighting at my natural 170. I get a lot of my explosive training and conditioning from my conditioning coach 1-2 times a week currently. After this 2 month cycle I will be going back to explosive olympic lifts and step back away from power lifting and mass building.


"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood." - General George Patton
mroutdoorsman is offline  
post #103 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Bantamweight
 
recon6991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 607
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutdoorsman View Post
Thanks. I was previously doing olympic lifts but my goal these two months to to gain ~10lbs of muscle and making good progress so far. I want to be able to cut ~10lbs of water weight pre-fight instead of just fighting at my natural 170. I get a lot of my explosive training and conditioning from my conditioning coach 1-2 times a week currently. After this 2 month cycle I will be going back to explosive olympic lifts and step back away from power lifting and mass building.
Oh alright, that makes a lot of sense.

I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.
recon6991 is offline  
post #104 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutdoorsman View Post
Thanks. I was previously doing olympic lifts but my goal these two months to to gain ~10lbs of muscle and making good progress so far. I want to be able to cut ~10lbs of water weight pre-fight instead of just fighting at my natural 170. I get a lot of my explosive training and conditioning from my conditioning coach 1-2 times a week currently. After this 2 month cycle I will be going back to explosive olympic lifts and step back away from power lifting and mass building.
Nothing in your workout regime resembles anything close to power lifting. Cable curls? Lol. And seriously for your own good...drop the smith box it's for girls and old/injured people and do some real ATG back BB squats for mass gaining.
Halloway is offline  
post #105 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Bantamweight
 
recon6991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 607
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloway View Post
Nothing in your workout regime resembles anything close to power lifting. Cable curls? Lol. And seriously for your own good...drop the smith box it's for girls and old/injured people and do some real ATG back BB squats for mass gaining.
Read his whole log, he is training pretty intelligently for his goals, with a little hypertrophy accessory work. It is a pretty proven way to pack on muscle. It is not how I train, but if it works, then what is the problem?

I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.
recon6991 is offline  
post #106 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:42 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon6991 View Post
Read his whole log, he is training pretty intelligently for his goals, with a little hypertrophy accessory work. It is a pretty proven way to pack on muscle. It is not how I train, but if it works, then what is the problem?
Considering his pictures looked like he hasn't touched a barbell in his life, I don't think they are working.
Halloway is offline  
post #107 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
'Man of Stone'
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
mroutdoorsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 430
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon6991 View Post
Read his whole log, he is training pretty intelligently for his goals, with a little hypertrophy accessory work. It is a pretty proven way to pack on muscle. It is not how I train, but if it works, then what is the problem?
My strength trainer has a ton of experience training athletes but most of his experience is body building. I really like how he mixes up different training methods to achieve the training goals. Before I started training with him I never would of thought about doing cable chest presses or bicep curls but I love how they hit multiple muscle groups instead of pure isolation which is bad for athletic training.

My new leg workout which is extremely hypertrophy specific is awesome. Also on the note of HST one of the most well know and world renown Olympic strength trainers swears by hypertrophy and invented German Volume Training.

In the end there are 100 different ways to skin a cat and different people respond to different training methods.

As for me not doing a lot of bench presses it is a lot easier and safer on my left should which had a bankart reconstruction a few years back. There is still a little bit of instability and the strength in it isn't equal to my right shoulder but we are working on it.

As for you Halloway... You need to get a ******* clue and seriously troll somewhere else. Stop filling my training log with your shitty attempts at trolling. Every post of yours is a negative response to someone.


"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood." - General George Patton
mroutdoorsman is offline  
post #108 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutdoorsman View Post
My strength trainer has a ton of experience training athletes but most of his experience is body building. I really like how he mixes up different training methods to achieve the training goals. Before I started training with him I never would of thought about doing cable chest presses or bicep curls but I love how they hit multiple muscle groups instead of pure isolation which is bad for athletic training.

.
I had no idea a bicep curl was a compound movement. Another thing learned from mroutdoorsman
Halloway is offline  
post #109 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,176
Blog Entries: 14
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloway View Post
Considering his pictures looked like he hasn't touched a barbell in his life, I don't think they are working.
Stop taking shots at another poster. I'm politely asking you to leave this thread now, as you clearly have nothing constructive to add.


Sig Credit to Toxic
swpthleg is offline  
post #110 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
Stop taking shots at another poster. I'm politely asking you to leave this thread now, as you clearly have nothing constructive to add.
My post was constructive criticism I don't know what you're talking about.
Halloway is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome