question about cutting the fat - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Training & Nutrition Training and Nutrition are essential in becoming a top notch mixed martial artist. Discuss with other fighters how to get and stay in top shape!

Reply

Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 49
Cj-007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
question about cutting the fat

Hey guys, first time posting so bare with me. Ok 25 years old, 6'1, normally 225-230 lbs. I have done amateur boxing training, thai style kickboxing, and now I'm onto bjj and mma training. I have been training steadily for about a year now. I'm looking to start fighting in the light-heavywright range. My problem is this, I can not lose weight. I've weighed over 200 lbs since age 12. Since I started training at my current camp, I have lost 4 inches off my waist, yet I weight the same, if not a little more then when I started. I look like I have a spare tire around my waist, a fat gut that I can not lose. I recently started to do pilates 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week. I lift prob 3-5 days a week( depending on work) and I train the same as I lift. Is there anything out someone knows I could do to really work the weight off my stomach?Workouts, nutrition, diets? Anything would be of great help, and thank you in advance.
Cj-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
SteSteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gtr Manchester, England
Posts: 217
SteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj-007
Hey guys, first time posting so bare with me. Ok 25 years old, 6'1, normally 225-230 lbs. I have done amateur boxing training, thai style kickboxing, and now I'm onto bjj and mma training. I have been training steadily for about a year now. I'm looking to start fighting in the light-heavywright range. My problem is this, I can not lose weight. I've weighed over 200 lbs since age 12. Since I started training at my current camp, I have lost 4 inches off my waist, yet I weight the same, if not a little more then when I started. I look like I have a spare tire around my waist, a fat gut that I can not lose. I recently started to do pilates 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week. I lift prob 3-5 days a week( depending on work) and I train the same as I lift. Is there anything out someone knows I could do to really work the weight off my stomach?Workouts, nutrition, diets? Anything would be of great help, and thank you in advance.
I can help, but i might be a little intrusive here.

You say you work? I could tell you what to eat, but would this adjust around your lifestyle?

I'd need to know what hours you work, what times during the day you eat and thats including snacking, and can you cook for yourself?
__________________
SteSteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 80
Salty22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
no chance you could do this for me too is there?
i have the exact same problem (im 6ft3 and 240 pounds tho)
my chest/arms/shoulders are all looking nice now but i cant lose my gut.

i work 4am till 12:30pm every morning
normally i eat:

4am - porridge with honey and a protein shake+vitamin tablet, cup of coffee about 30 mins later

9am - apple with either protein bar or a can of tuna and salad cream

12pm - a multigrain bagel with either steak chicken or tuna. normally have a load of spinach in it too

4-5pm i have my dinner, usually chicken and pasta or a grilled tuna/salmon steak and baked tate. loads
of veggies too.

i also have a second protein shake in the afternoon sometime (it varies)

i workout at 1pm, sun/tue/thursday i do weights for 2-3 hours, mon/wed/fri i do cardio and boxing.
sat is my day off.

when i do cardio i usually do loads of crunches as im trying to get my core strength up.

any advice for me?
Salty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 49
Cj-007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
SteSteez, thannks for responding.....

Mon, Wed, and Fri I work 9-5
Tues n Thurs I work 11-7
Im a computer geek who sits infront of a computer all day so I can do anyhting I want at work to adjust.

Mon Wed Fri:
9am- ceral bar
11-apple
Lunch(12-1pm) either a piece or fruit and a yogurt or a protien meal replacement bar
2:30-3 a bannana
I train till 9-930 pm on these nights so I dont get to eat dinner till sometimes 10 at night
Dinner is normally chicken or a meat with some veggies

Late night snack which is 11-12 would be a bowl of ceral
Tues and Thus:
I lift in the mornin on these days so I take Nox-cg3 before I lft and Cyto pro muscle milk after. This normally fills me up for a few hours.

Lunch (1-2pm) yogart and a ceral bar or a apple and bannana

no snack, I eat dinner between 9-10 since i train from 7-9 tues n thurs nights.

Late night snack is normally a bowl of ceral

Yes I can cook and if i can't my girlfriend can, Im willing to do whatever it takes, eating, working out, abs, w/e it takes.

Thanks in advance

Cj-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
SteSteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gtr Manchester, England
Posts: 217
SteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty22
no chance you could do this for me too is there?
i have the exact same problem (im 6ft3 and 240 pounds tho)
my chest/arms/shoulders are all looking nice now but i cant lose my gut.

i work 4am till 12:30pm every morning
normally i eat:

4am - porridge with honey and a protein shake+vitamin tablet, cup of coffee about 30 mins later

9am - apple with either protein bar or a can of tuna and salad cream

12pm - a multigrain bagel with either steak chicken or tuna. normally have a load of spinach in it too

4-5pm i have my dinner, usually chicken and pasta or a grilled tuna/salmon steak and baked tate. loads
of veggies too.

i also have a second protein shake in the afternoon sometime (it varies)

i workout at 1pm, sun/tue/thursday i do weights for 2-3 hours, mon/wed/fri i do cardio and boxing.
sat is my day off.

when i do cardio i usually do loads of crunches as im trying to get my core strength up.

any advice for me?

right lol Salty don't take this as criticism but you might be over doing things?
i wouldn't advise on doing weights for 2-3 hours, your body begins to burn out after 40-60minutes...
I'd advise on having atleast 10-15minutes ona cross trainer/treadmill before you go into the free weights section... hit that for 45mins... then afterwards get onto the cross trainer or something again for 15minutes... everytime your working out (weights) cardio as well... but cardio after the weights.
From what you said the food intake seems fine to me, however are you using milk with all these protein shakes and porridge?
If so, try using water instead or fully skimmed milk.
Rest should be the most important part of your work out routine. try sleeping on your front aswell (not your back) tends to keep your abs held in whilst asleep.

Cj-007 same really as Salty, i cant really see a major flaw.

It seems both of you guys are giving me decent all rounded diets, and not a lot of "cheats".

cheats to me is something that enables your body to relax and say: hey this week i've eat real healthy and not eat **** or drank ****... today imma scoff my face full of ****.
its like a reward for all the perseverance you do during the week... so try to establish a cheat day during the week whereby you wont go crazy and eat real unhealthy food, but you'l just change your diet from the health foods.
have a bag of chips, eat a hotdog, get me?
if you have one of these days then during the week you'll see something thats unhealthy and think: hey im not gonna touch that, but sunday i might just eat it.

Drink anyone? both of you guys have failed to inform me of what your drinking...Salty says he drinks alot of protein shakes, but this is a protein supplement not a beverage.
Water should become your best friend, i mean start drnking it religiously.
I drink around 3-4litres if water aday, and no i do not drink alcohol at all, if i do its for someones birthday or something and i wont go near bloating alcohol such as lager.. i prefer the vodka/orange's...

So where do you go from here? establish a cheat day... and stick to it.
Establish more fruit intake rather than snacks, you'll find you'll end up snacking on fruit on your cheat day.

I could give you more advice but see what happens... if your still not losing weight then start spewing up in the toilet

no, just persevere lads
__________________
SteSteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,511
BJJ Boy will become famous soon enoughBJJ Boy will become famous soon enoughBJJ Boy will become famous soon enoughBJJ Boy will become famous soon enoughBJJ Boy will become famous soon enoughBJJ Boy will become famous soon enough
I lost 6 pounds just from not eating junk food. I just eat 3 meals a day nothinng in between.
BJJ Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
SteSteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gtr Manchester, England
Posts: 217
SteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ Boy
I lost 6 pounds just from not eating junk food. I just eat 3 meals a day nothinng in between.
Lol i lost 6 pounds in 10minutes.. put the Exercise bike in the steam room


Yea there is a major focus on what your body intakes, with people eating anything and everything and never putting on weight.. but slowly but shorlty your metabolism rate will change and the weight will eventually pile on... an example would be my father who has ran marathons across the world, weighed around 10st from like 20 to 40years old... but as he got into his mid 40's the weight piled on, as he didnt adjust his diet to his age.
hes around 17st now.
__________________
SteSteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 49
Cj-007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Is it bad that i eat a bowl of ceral late night before bed? Not just before bed, maybe 45 minutes to an hour before I go to lay down. What do u guys think?
Cj-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
SteSteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gtr Manchester, England
Posts: 217
SteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished roadSteSteez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj-007
Is it bad that i eat a bowl of ceral late night before bed? Not just before bed, maybe 45 minutes to an hour before I go to lay down. What do u guys think?

Depends what the cereal is and how big the bowl is really doesnt it...
__________________
SteSteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 80
Salty22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSteez
right lol Salty don't take this as criticism but you might be over doing things?
i wouldn't advise on doing weights for 2-3 hours, your body begins to burn out after 40-60minutes...
I'd advise on having atleast 10-15minutes ona cross trainer/treadmill before you go into the free weights section... hit that for 45mins... then afterwards get onto the cross trainer or something again for 15minutes... everytime your working out (weights) cardio as well... but cardio after the weights.
From what you said the food intake seems fine to me, however are you using milk with all these protein shakes and porridge?
If so, try using water instead or fully skimmed milk.
Rest should be the most important part of your work out routine. try sleeping on your front aswell (not your back) tends to keep your abs held in whilst asleep.

Cj-007 same really as Salty, i cant really see a major flaw.

It seems both of you guys are giving me decent all rounded diets, and not a lot of "cheats".

cheats to me is something that enables your body to relax and say: hey this week i've eat real healthy and not eat **** or drank ****... today imma scoff my face full of ****.
its like a reward for all the perseverance you do during the week... so try to establish a cheat day during the week whereby you wont go crazy and eat real unhealthy food, but you'l just change your diet from the health foods.
have a bag of chips, eat a hotdog, get me?
if you have one of these days then during the week you'll see something thats unhealthy and think: hey im not gonna touch that, but sunday i might just eat it.

Drink anyone? both of you guys have failed to inform me of what your drinking...Salty says he drinks alot of protein shakes, but this is a protein supplement not a beverage.
Water should become your best friend, i mean start drnking it religiously.
I drink around 3-4litres if water aday, and no i do not drink alcohol at all, if i do its for someones birthday or something and i wont go near bloating alcohol such as lager.. i prefer the vodka/orange's...

So where do you go from here? establish a cheat day... and stick to it.
Establish more fruit intake rather than snacks, you'll find you'll end up snacking on fruit on your cheat day.

I could give you more advice but see what happens... if your still not losing weight then start spewing up in the toilet

no, just persevere lads
i always drink skimmed (red top) milk
the protein shake in the morning i have skimmed milk with, and the one in the afternoon i have water with (so it absorbs quicker)
skimmed milk in my porridge too.

i honestly dont feel tired from working out for upto 3 hours, it depends how long i have between sets.
my routine so far has given me brilliant gains in strength since feb (i can bench 79kg atm, up from 60 a few months ago)

i sleep facedown with my head to one side (weird way i think lol)


i only drink water, skimmed milk and one cup of coffee.
i dont drink any sort of alcohol ever (straight edge)

me and my gf have our "treat" day on sat, usually have something like a rib eye steak or some sort of fatty cut of meat or something lol.

i get thru 2 or 3 litres of water a day.

thanks for the advice, ill try the cardio thing before and after workout.
i assume a cycling machine is as good as running/cross training?
Salty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios