MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Training & Nutrition (http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/)
-   -   Cardio help.. (http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/16041-cardio-help.html)

Trainee 06-09-2007 11:47 PM

Cardio help..
 
Hey, I was wondering what the most effective cardio program is (using gym equipment)? Like on the treadmill, what exactly should I do and how long? obviously you can't tell me what speed to put it on, or the amount of miles I should run...but if you can tell me what you do, I can adjust the numbers and stuff to fit me. I'd really appreciate that. Oh and you can tell me other machines to use too...my cardio sucks real bad. :P

And i know jumproping is a good cardio excersize...but I barely know how to jump rope. anyway i can learn? I can only do normal jumproping, but i see people barely lifting their toes off the ground, going really fast, and are able to do some cool-looking moves with the rope.

Thanks a lot guys, i appreciate it.

SteSteez 06-10-2007 03:09 PM

Hi Trainee... Firstly dont be fooled in thinking more is better... I must run faster to burn more"

Its about the quality of the exercise, and i wouldn't recommend straight treadmill use as the only one particle for burning unwanted fat.

I can show you guys with what looks like zero percent of body fat on their bodies, guys who compete in bodybuilding shows, and show you their journals to proove they never use treadmills... Think about it, when your running at one point of the exercise both of your feet are eleviated into the air, now when your continuously running for say 10mins only 5mins of this have your feet been touching the ground... You may feel out of breath, but your body may be saying: i could of done better.

So?

Height...

In many gyms there are stairmasters.. a revolving staircase that you continuously walk up. great machine, if you dont have access to one, walk up your staircase, then back down continuously... no need to run. faster is'nt always better... make sure you dont slip too :)

Hills - get outside and find some hilly places. run up the hill, then walk back down it or pace-walk down it.. run back up it again.

You can do these sort of exercises for hours on end without feeling out of breath, your body can physically cope with the demand and eventually get used to the demand and progress burning fuel more efficiently.

Weight will begin to slip off whilst your strength (particularly calf muscles) will strenghten bigtime.

Other cardio i'd recommdend is Swimming... do a fast paced lap to one end of the pool, then a slow breast stroke back to the start, then another fast paced swim, then breast stroke again... continue this until you drown :)

The idea is: do something energetic and fulfilling, then relaxing, then doing it again... this way your testosterone is fully commited to running up the hill or whatever, as it mentally knows it can relaxin in a minute or two.

EastPhilly 06-11-2007 05:21 PM

Jump Rope

TheNegation 06-11-2007 09:02 PM

Jump rope is my favourite, and shadow boxing.
Jump rope, well its just practice, everyone sucks when they start off.

SnakePit 06-11-2007 09:30 PM

Here are some great cardio routinues.


Interval training - how to? Run for 30 seconds, then sprint(million buck fast) for 30 seconds, repeat for whatever you can do- work it up to 15 minutes
That's great for burning fat too.

Distance running-
I know alot of people bash this, but the folks who do their running just don't gas. (wonder why) how to- fast jog/light run a good distance, start simple and work up to say, 5-7 miles

Wind sprints- take a say 40 yard distance, sprint as fast as you can, do like 3 sets of 10 sprints
Bring your knees to your chest for brownie points :D


Hill running-
Pretty obvious, run, jog up and down a hill for X minutes and Y distance

Stair climbing - how to- tear up and (be careful) down a few flights of stairs. Just be careful and don't fall or twist something

Jump rope- say 5 rounds, 3 minutes each or w/e you can do

Swimming laps, fast, different strokes etc

Those are a few of many things you can do.

I should write a guide for a sticky or something :thumbsup:

wukkadb 06-11-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakePit
Here are some great cardio routinues.


Interval training - how to? Run for 30 seconds, then sprint(million buck fast) for 30 seconds, repeat for whatever you can do- work it up to 15 minutes
That's great for burning fat too.

Distance running-
I know alot of people bash this, but the folks who do their running just don't gas. (wonder why) how to- fast jog/light run a good distance, start simple and work up to say, 5-7 miles

Wind sprints- take a say 40 yard distance, sprint as fast as you can, do like 3 sets of 10 sprints
Bring your knees to your chest for brownie points :D


Hill running-
Pretty obvious, run, jog up and down a hill for X minutes and Y distance

Stair climbing - how to- tear up and (be careful) down a few flights of stairs. Just be careful and don't fall or twist something

Jump rope- say 5 rounds, 3 minutes each or w/e you can do

Swimming laps, fast, different strokes etc

Those are a few of many things you can do.

I should write a guide for a sticky or something :thumbsup:


Perfect post, repped. The only thing I could add to that list is cycling but why not wait for Cyclist to come? Haha. Great advice though. Something else you can do for cardio is bodyweight circuits. There are a bunch of things you can do such as burpees, push ups, clap push ups, sprawls, sit ups, different ab work outs, etc. Here's a good example of one:

Burpees x 15
Push ups x 15
Sit ups x 15
Burpees x 10
Push ups x 10
Sit ups x 10
Do that circuit once, rest for a minute, do it again, rest for a minute, do it again. Tell me how ya feel.

If you want the ultimate conditioning work out, try the 100 burpee or 100 snatch challenge:thumb03:

SnakePit 06-12-2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wukkadb
Perfect post, repped. The only thing I could add to that list is cycling but why not wait for Cyclist to come? Haha. Great advice though. Something else you can do for cardio is bodyweight circuits. There are a bunch of things you can do such as burpees, push ups, clap push ups, sprawls, sit ups, different ab work outs, etc. Here's a good example of one:

Burpees x 15
Push ups x 15
Sit ups x 15
Burpees x 10
Push ups x 10
Sit ups x 10
Do that circuit once, rest for a minute, do it again, rest for a minute, do it again. Tell me how ya feel.

If you want the ultimate conditioning work out, try the 100 burpee or 100 snatch challenge:thumb03:

I just got back from running 6 miles in hills. Good fun and enjoyin' a protein shake for the sake of ease!


Cycling is good, but not everyone has a bike or a safe place to ride it. (traffic)

Circuit training seems to get rave reviews, but I haven't done it! If I ever need something new, I'll try it myself.


If there are any takers, I'll write a cardio guide? If a mod stickied it, we could have one thread for this instead of several per page! :D

Cyclist 06-13-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wukkadb
Perfect post, repped. The only thing I could add to that list is cycling but why not wait for Cyclist to come?


Awwww you beat me to it.

BJJ Boy 06-13-2007 08:16 PM

My friends brother is a mad gym guy. He works out non stop and works on his cardio non stop. He told me that wind sprints are really good for cardio.

Also, my dad was the gold medalist of germany in swiming (way back when he was 25), and he said swimming gave him amazing cardio.

Cyclist 06-14-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJJ Boy
Also, my dad was the gold medalist of germany in swiming (way back when he was 25), and he said swimming gave him amazing cardio.

I agree, I personally believe that swimming is the most physically demanding sports in the world.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2