MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Training & Nutrition (http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/)
-   -   I need help (foot, knee and fist conditioning) (http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/16728-i-need-help-foot-knee-fist-conditioning.html)

southpaw447 06-19-2007 01:48 AM

I need help (foot, knee and fist conditioning)
 
I have a question about conditioning my fists, feet and knees.

Is there a way to condition my fists. knees and and feet to be sort of immune to pain from constant kicking and kneeing and puching? For example is their a way to build callouses on your feet or fists so as when you kick the botton of a heavy bag where it is usually the hardest, you don't have to limp around or suffer injuries to your instep or possibly break a toe???

Please If you have any info, reads, articles, vids, products, any info would be apprectiated

IronMan 06-19-2007 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpaw447
I have a question about conditioning my fists, feet and knees.

Is there a way to condition my fists. knees and and feet to be sort of immune to pain from constant kicking and kneeing and puching? For example is their a way to build callouses on your feet or fists so as when you kick the botton of a heavy bag where it is usually the hardest, you don't have to limp around or suffer injuries to your instep or possibly break a toe???

Please If you have any info, reads, articles, vids, products, any info would be apprectiated

National Geographic released a documentary a while ago on the science behind martial arts and one of the segments was on this kind of conditioning.

The theory that they use in Thailand is if you do it enough it's the same as working a muscle, it continues to get stronger so that your body stops responding to the pain and your bones reform themselves so that they become stronger.

I'm not a biologist, but I definitely suggest checking out the National Geographic documentary. Maybe someone else on here has the title.

RKiller 06-19-2007 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan
National Geographic released a documentary a while ago on the science behind martial arts and one of the segments was on this kind of conditioning.

The theory that they use in Thailand is if you do it enough it's the same as working a muscle, it continues to get stronger so that your body stops responding to the pain and your bones reform themselves so that they become stronger.

I'm not a biologist, but I definitely suggest checking out the National Geographic documentary. Maybe someone else on here has the title.

I think you are talking about Fight Science. To the poster, yes you can strengthen your bones so they hit harder, killing the nerve endings makes it hurt less. I would highly suggest to learn these techniques for bone strengthening from an instructor in real life...can be pretty dangerous if you don't do it correctly.

SnakePit 06-19-2007 04:25 AM

I've hit the heavy bag for like 6 1/2 months barehanded and my hands are rock hard now.

At first, they'd hurt afterwards or w/e, but now! Just rock hard.

Judoka 06-19-2007 05:33 AM

For fists look into the conditioning of traditional Karate they have great conditioning.

Also if you use gloves...hit the bag with gloves and every once and a while take off the gloves and punch bare handed until your hands start to hurt then go back to gloves etc.

SnakePit 06-19-2007 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judokas
For fists look into the conditioning of traditional Karate they have great conditioning.

Also if you use gloves...hit the bag with gloves and every once and a while take off the gloves and punch bare handed until your hands start to hurt then go back to gloves etc.

The gloves don't supply the same effect. You want them to harden at first, or at least that's what worked for me. If you slowly do it, you could build "just enough" damage. The initial damage was good for me. maybe I'm different..

Also, at first, don't hit as hard as you can. Start with like 25 %, then 75, then 50, then 75, or so. Never punch as hard as you can unless it's in a fight. :thumbsup:

Merforga 06-19-2007 10:33 AM

For me i'v conditioned my shin,knee and fist by hitting the heavy bag. When you start off don't hit it full force you'r likely to hurt yourself. When i first started i would hit it lightly maybe 25% power and after a week i'd build up the force of my punch/kick/knee by 50% and so on every week increasing the amount of force behind my strikes until now i don't feel it when i kick the heavy bag unless i use improper technique :confused05: .

Cyclist 06-19-2007 07:23 PM

Its a slow gradual process. I'd would suggest making sure you are getting enough calcium in your diet as well. The bone becomes denser after repeated trauma.

esv 06-21-2007 02:10 PM

Try walking around the house barefoot, outside too. I have been doing that for most of my life and the Skin on my feet is Rock hard. It helps me when i do BJJ because i dont get burns on my feet from the mat.

AdRath 06-21-2007 02:47 PM

It just takes time. Find a really heavy bag and hit it over and over.... Punches kicks elbows. your shins and fists will hurt after the first few weeks but as your nerve endings die and you bones get stronger your hands/legs will be used to it. I always suggest wraping your hands if your going to hit hard to prevent an injury that will set back your training.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2