MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Training & Nutrition (http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/)
-   -   Help!! Training muscle groups !! (http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/50305-help-training-muscle-groups.html)

CrazyCy 01-22-2009 03:46 PM

Help!! Training muscle groups !!
 
Hi guys. How many times a week should each muscle group be trained? I go to the gym 4 times a week and i usually work body parts in pairs i.e. Monday: Back and triceps, Tuesday: Chest and biceps and so on. Should i train each body part twice a week? I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder, i just want to gain muscle size.

Thanks !!!

CornbreadBB 01-22-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCy (Post 783655)
Hi guys. How many times a week should each muscle group be trained? I go to the gym 4 times a week and i usually work body parts in pairs i.e. Monday: Back and triceps, Tuesday: Chest and biceps and so on. Should i train each body part twice a week? I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder, i just want to gain muscle size.

Thanks !!!

You're doing this all wrong. First off, you're going to the gym way too often, what you have to do is back and triceps once every 3 weeks and that's it. You should be seeing improvement all around your body in no time.

CrazyCy 01-22-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornbreadBB (Post 783689)
You're doing this all wrong. First off, you're going to the gym way too often, what you have to do is back and triceps once every 3 weeks and that's it. You should be seeing improvement all around your body in no time.

once every 3 weeks? how am i supposed to see improvement ?! maybe u meant every 3 days?

TheNegation 01-22-2009 04:15 PM

It all depends what you are doing. And maybe you should lookat the way you split up your exercises, so you aint hitting the same muscles two days in a row.

CrazyCy 01-22-2009 04:20 PM

no, like i said i train two different muscle groups everyday and never twice in the same week. I take Wednesday's off then i take the weekend off. Is that too much? Should i drop down to 3 times a week? Are cardio exercises gonna slow the muscle building proceess (in the sense that i'll be losing fat)?

-GSP- 01-22-2009 04:40 PM

Depends on how intensely you train them.

Personally, I only see progress if I train a muscle group or a particular exercise twice a week. If I squat, deadlift, or bench only once a weak, I wont make any progress strength wise. If I give a full six days off to any muscle group, I wont see much development.

I train with moderate intensity, could go a lot harder. I've been told that the volume I do is out of whack though so IDK.

CrazyCy 01-22-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -GSP- (Post 783752)
Depends on how intensely you train them.

Personally, I only see progress if I train a muscle group or a particular exercise twice a week. If I squat, deadlift, or bench only once a weak, I wont make any progress strength wise. If I give a full six days off to any muscle group, I wont see much development.

I train with moderate intensity, could go a lot harder. I've been told that the volume I do is out of whack though so IDK.

Well, i don't lift any more than i can handle, i don't push myself too hard because i know that would seriously mess my body up. Maybe i should try the twice a week thing and see how that works.

recon6991 01-22-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCy (Post 783757)
Well, i don't lift any more than i can handle, i don't push myself too hard because i know that would seriously mess my body up. Maybe i should try the twice a week thing and see how that works.

Hey man, pushing yourself is what its all about! If you arent sore as hell after lifting, you wont make progress. Its that simple. Do you exercises as hard as you can, feel your muscles tearing, then eat loads, and get some rest. But not pushing yourself to hard makes weightlifting basically useless- no matter what goals or aspirations you have, it is going to be hard on your body. But when you start to see results... thats when addiction happens. So don't worry about messing your body up, use good form, and rest and eat, and you'll be solid.

Also, when I did a body part split I did it like GSP, I worked muscle groups twice a week, saw great gains as long as I was busting my ass on each and every set.

wukkadb 01-22-2009 05:08 PM

Train movements, not muscles. My advice would be a 3 day push, pull, squat set up.

Push Day:
-Bench Press
-Incline Press
-OH Press
-Dips

Pull Day:
-Deadlifts
-Rows
-Chin ups/Pull ups

Squat Day:
-Back squats
-Lunges
-GMs

bail3yz 01-22-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCy (Post 783757)
Well, i don't lift any more than i can handle, i don't push myself too hard because i know that would seriously mess my body up. Maybe i should try the twice a week thing and see how that works.

If you arent lifting close to your max weight you wont see gains.

If your body isnt use to lifting, you can see gains from lifting like 60% of your max.. but this wont last long.. eventually youll need to lift very close to your max inorder to get stronger/bigger.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2