MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Training & Nutrition (http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/)
-   -   pre-training diet & exercise help (http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/67245-pre-training-diet-exercise-help.html)

sprechen 12-01-2009 03:54 PM

pre-training diet & exercise help
 
Hey guys, been lurking for awhile but this is my first post here.

Because of finances I can't start training with a gym for another 2-3 months, so until then I'm trying to get into the best shape I can so I can focus on the fight training at the gym instead of getting in shape.

I'm 23, about 5'10, around 130lbs. I'm planning to start with Muay Thai or MMA training with team quest. Got an insanely fast metabolism, thin bone structure, decent cardio but lacking on power. My small stature has always been a source of frustration to me. I can eat fast food 2 or 3 times a day and gain very little weight (but I eat fast food less than once every 2 weeks), hope that helps explain a little. The problem I'm running into is I can't seem to bulk up at all.

I've done lots of reading on diet routines including those of some professional MMA fighters, but a lot of what I'm finding includes such small portions I really don't think it'd help me gain the kind of weight I'm trying to gain.

In addition to changing my diet I want to change my daily habits and develop a daily exercise routine. I don't know much besides running, basic stretches, pushups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups etc...so to me, all suggestions are golden.

I'm also a very technical person so the more info the better.

So...any advice? Thanks

CFT_Ian 12-01-2009 04:28 PM

If you have a fast metabolism and want to bulk up you have to eat, ALOT.

This guy I train with has a super fast metabolism, and he wanted to bulk up, so his doctor put him on a 10,000 calorie diet. and he hardly gains as it is. Doesnt help he trains 5 days a week then goes to work on a farm when he isnt training. But I digress.

You need to eat more. Alot more. Talk to a nutritionist or a dietician, ask them about how much you need to eat to bulk up. it may surprise you you that you need to eat so much more than you already do.

As for the work outs, google/youtube body weight work outs. they work pretty well.

swpthleg 12-01-2009 04:41 PM

A lot of lean protein and "good" fats.

peanut butter, fatty fish, complex carbs (fruit, vegetables, starchy vegetables), cheese, whole grains so you don't get plugged up from all the protein lol.

Some of the people on here mix ice cream and/or peanut butter and/or fruit in with whatever protein powder they use; you need the calories, it sounds like.

You should definitely consider consulting with a nutritionist, however.

Halfraq9 12-01-2009 06:31 PM

I agree with the posts above in that you should probably talk with a nutritionist at some point.

My question to you is, why do you want to bulk up? All that extra muscle mass eats up oxygen which hoses your cardio. Almost every fighter I've talked to has flat out told me that they would take increased cardio over muscle mass any day.

This leads into your exercise routine. VERY few of the training sessions I've been in are designed for strength per se. The strength I've gotten has come from a 3 min combo drill followed by a minute of push ups, followed by a different kickboxing drill, followed by more pushups, repeat for 45 minutes, then do a grappling workout....

Hope my 2 cents helps.

sprechen 12-02-2009 03:36 AM

Eating way more makes sense, gonna have to smoke more pot to eat that much :laugh:

Halfraq, to answer your question I just don't think a guy my height should be under 150. I mean for my size I'm a strong dude but I think a little extra muscle could help a lot.


My cardio is great, what I've been doing is basically sprinting til I can't sprint anymore, walking/jogging it off, sprinting again and repeating til I'm too exhausted to continue. I'm just not happy with how long it's taking for me to see improvement in my strength. Right now I'm running, doing pushups and crunches. I'm still looking for better core workouts and I'm going to get a bar soon so I can do pull ups too. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe I'm not eating enough? Who knows...I wish I'd paid better attention in gym class. :confused02:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's all helpful to me.

Halfraq9 12-02-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprechen (Post 1057662)
Eating way more makes sense, gonna have to smoke more pot to eat that much :laugh:

Halfraq, to answer your question I just don't think a guy my height should be under 150. I mean for my size I'm a strong dude but I think a little extra muscle could help a lot.


My cardio is great, what I've been doing is basically sprinting til I can't sprint anymore, walking/jogging it off, sprinting again and repeating til I'm too exhausted to continue. I'm just not happy with how long it's taking for me to see improvement in my strength. Right now I'm running, doing pushups and crunches. I'm still looking for better core workouts and I'm going to get a bar soon so I can do pull ups too. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe I'm not eating enough? Who knows...I wish I'd paid better attention in gym class. :confused02:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's all helpful to me.

I guess some people are just naturally long and lean. One thought is to visit a supplement store and look into one of the "mega mass" type products. Do your research though so you don't spend a bunch of cash on the wrong product. Again, touching base with someone that knows nutrition probably is a good idea.

Good luck

sprechen 12-02-2009 01:37 PM

Thanks again Halfraq! I guess I'll have to find a good nutritionist.

Could you possibly point me in the direction of some good info on some good core workouts? There's so much info out there it's hard to sort through it all so I figured I'd ask the guys that already know :)

Activeforce 12-19-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprechen (Post 1057233)
Hey guys, been lurking for awhile but this is my first post here.

Because of finances I can't start training with a gym for another 2-3 months, so until then I'm trying to get into the best shape I can so I can focus on the fight training at the gym instead of getting in shape.

I'm 23, about 5'10, around 130lbs. I'm planning to start with Muay Thai or MMA training with team quest. Got an insanely fast metabolism, thin bone structure, decent cardio but lacking on power. My small stature has always been a source of frustration to me. I can eat fast food 2 or 3 times a day and gain very little weight (but I eat fast food less than once every 2 weeks), hope that helps explain a little. The problem I'm running into is I can't seem to bulk up at all.

I've done lots of reading on diet routines including those of some professional MMA fighters, but a lot of what I'm finding includes such small portions I really don't think it'd help me gain the kind of weight I'm trying to gain.

In addition to changing my diet I want to change my daily habits and develop a daily exercise routine. I don't know much besides running, basic stretches, pushups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups etc...so to me, all suggestions are golden.

I'm also a very technical person so the more info the better.

So...any advice? Thanks

You are more than likely an ectomorph. Ectomorphs are very hard gainers. They have a very fast metabolism, short upper body, thin bone structure, long arms and legs, long / narrow feet and hands, very little fat, narrow chest and shoulders, and long, thin muscles.

If you have an ectomorphic metabolism you must adhere to a different set of rules if you wish to make noticeable gains in lean muscle. And this all boils down to the dinner table.
For the true ectomorph (hardgainer), the two main limiting factors that halt normal weight gain and muscle growth are metabolism and appetite. Genetics have control of your metabolic rate, but through training, science and nutrition it is possible to slow things down, in the same way an endomorph wants to speed things up.

Simply put, food must be consumed according to the clock, not according to how you feel. Training is a not an option. This is due to the fact that an ectomorph’s basil metabolic rate is several times faster than the average person who requires them to eat massive amounts of food to maintain muscle mass, never mind gain. The process of gaining healthy weight must be treated like an business enterprise, so to be successful, you do what needs to be done whether you like it or not.

Here are the keys to solving the ectomorphic puzzle:
  • Increase food intake regularly: supply the demand.
  • Learn how to sedate the mind and nervous system.
  • Create growth though weight training: train like a powerlifter/bodybuilder.
  • Modify aerobic activity and minimize unnecessary fuel expenditure.
  • Reduce or eliminate intake of empty carbs and chemically damaged fats.
  • Eat slow burning, low glycemic foods.
  • Maintain a positive nitrogen balance: eat 2 - 3 g of high-quality protein per kg of lean body mass daily in 6 individual portions.
  • Decrease catabolism and thermogenesis with supplements: lecithin granules, calcium, magnesium, niacin, B-complex, inositol, melatonin, GABA, glycine, 5-HTP, acetyl-L-carnitine, HMB, CLA, vitamin C, and ginko biloba.
  • Stimulate the appetite (weight lifting, B12 and zinc)
  • Improve sleep habits (power naps)
  • Avoid stimulants (ephedrine, caffeine, tobacco)
  • Consume liberal amounts of clean fats and oils.

The ectomorph must be realistic, consistent, and above all PATIENT. The motto is "I will persist until I succeed".

sprechen 12-19-2009 09:47 PM

Activeforce, that info helps a lot, someone else threw out the word ectomorph the other day and I had no idea what it meant. That gives me a chance to try some other things before I start training at a gym, thanks a lot man.

Activeforce 12-20-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprechen (Post 1073052)
Activeforce, that info helps a lot, someone else threw out the word ectomorph the other day and I had no idea what it meant. That gives me a chance to try some other things before I start training at a gym, thanks a lot man.

Not a problem man.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2