Should I drop weight? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Training & Nutrition Training and Nutrition are essential in becoming a top notch mixed martial artist. Discuss with other fighters how to get and stay in top shape!

Reply

Old 02-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 332
Zapatista has a little shameless behaviour in the past
instead of posting in a new thread, does anybody know of a good online body fat % calculator? The only I know about are ones that just take your weight and waist size (and maybe height I can't remember) and then do the body fat % from that. Are those accurate or is there a different one that would be more accurate?
Zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 2,163
Blog Entries: 4
The Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatista
instead of posting in a new thread, does anybody know of a good online body fat % calculator? The only I know about are ones that just take your weight and waist size (and maybe height I can't remember) and then do the body fat % from that. Are those accurate or is there a different one that would be more accurate?
No those are anything but accurate. While they are fairly accurate for average people (not no where near 100% those guys who have more muscle like body builders and such it is WAY off... for instance.. When the Governator used to be a body builder.. for those young kids.. yea he did not always make moves. He would have measured grossly obese. Which he was anything but. Even bruce lee would have been on the fat side because of his muscle mass.

The most accurate way to have your body fat done is through the dunk test. Hospitals and doctors usually have the equipment or a high end health club (like the one I am working on opening) would have the equipment.
Barring that I have not really found a good online one cause the next most accurate method would be getting a set of calipers, either from GNC or a pharmacy or heck even walmart might have them. They are relitively inexpensive I think mine cost like $4 fairly easy to use but it is best if you get someone to do it for you so you can stand in a natural position. It will come with a chart showing you how to figure out your BF%.
THere are also scales you can get which can supposedly check your BF% but I am not really sure how accurate they are I have not done any research into it. Hope this helps.
__________________
RGDA TN Web Site

My BJJ and MMA Blog

BJJ Board

Use No Way as Way, Have No Limitation as Limitation.
Vincere Vel Mori

Yea I still exist.
The Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 2,163
Blog Entries: 4
The Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ Boy
SHUT UP, you little punk i should come and kick youre ass. Dont be telling people ethier fat, are you an idiot or something, and no hes not fat,



Yea, i think you should just be active and work out, and have a good diet.
Just ignore people like that man it just encourages them.
__________________
RGDA TN Web Site

My BJJ and MMA Blog

BJJ Board

Use No Way as Way, Have No Limitation as Limitation.
Vincere Vel Mori

Yea I still exist.
The Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 332
Zapatista has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
No those are anything but accurate. While they are fairly accurate for average people (not no where near 100% those guys who have more muscle like body builders and such it is WAY off... for instance.. When the Governator used to be a body builder.. for those young kids.. yea he did not always make moves. He would have measured grossly obese. Which he was anything but. Even bruce lee would have been on the fat side because of his muscle mass.

The most accurate way to have your body fat done is through the dunk test. Hospitals and doctors usually have the equipment or a high end health club (like the one I am working on opening) would have the equipment.
Barring that I have not really found a good online one cause the next most accurate method would be getting a set of calipers, either from GNC or a pharmacy or heck even walmart might have them. They are relitively inexpensive I think mine cost like $4 fairly easy to use but it is best if you get someone to do it for you so you can stand in a natural position. It will come with a chart showing you how to figure out your BF%.
THere are also scales you can get which can supposedly check your BF% but I am not really sure how accurate they are I have not done any research into it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. In high school we had the calipers (that's the one that takes skin from bottom of the arm or leg right?) that did my body fat % and in high school according to that I had 6% body fat. Then we had the scales later in high school and I had around 10 to 12% (which I think was more accurate).

I'm going to check around to see if there are any of those scales open to students at the university I attend.

Thanks again for your input.
Zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 2,163
Blog Entries: 4
The Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatista
Thanks for the info. In high school we had the calipers (that's the one that takes skin from bottom of the arm or leg right?) that did my body fat % and in high school according to that I had 6% body fat. Then we had the scales later in high school and I had around 10 to 12% (which I think was more accurate).

I'm going to check around to see if there are any of those scales open to students at the university I attend.

Thanks again for your input.
No problem.. the big problem with the calipers is that 3 measurements really need to be taken, In the tricep area. waist and the thigh to give the most accurate measurement. but it is subject to human error of the person squeezes too much or not enoughwhen done by someone with experience that are very accurate... I have done a little searching on the scale types and have heard decent things about them. Let me know what kind of results you get from them. try two or three models see if the results are the same...
__________________
RGDA TN Web Site

My BJJ and MMA Blog

BJJ Board

Use No Way as Way, Have No Limitation as Limitation.
Vincere Vel Mori

Yea I still exist.
The Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Bad boys bad boys!
 
pauly_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GY, England
Posts: 2,478
pauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ Boy
SHUT UP, you little punk i should come and kick youre ass. Dont be telling people ethier fat, are you an idiot or something, and no hes not fat,

Appart from being a douche that most people on here hate, you can't take a joke. BJ boy.
pauly_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
HawaiianLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past
yeah i think someone said it before but fat doesnt turn into muscle. hit up the cardio bikes 5 or so times a week and keep your heart rate around 60% (the bike should have a chart on it age vs. heart rate). 60% will burn fat, anything much higher will be heart conditioning. make sure you are eating lots of simple carbs that break down easy. and eat lots of baked chicken. its good lean protein enriched meat. keep it up and you'll be fine.
HawaiianLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios