An MMA Fighter's Cookbook? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Training & Nutrition Training and Nutrition are essential in becoming a top notch mixed martial artist. Discuss with other fighters how to get and stay in top shape!

Reply

Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Kendrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 89
Kendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the rough
An MMA Fighter's Cookbook?

I've been looking around a little bit here on the forum and online, and I'm not really finding what I'm looking for. I see lots of discussion on improving diet, protein powders, various shakes, and so on... but has anyone seen fit to create something of an all-in-one source for MMA nutrition and, of particular interest, well designed recipes and meals for a training fighter?

I'm hazarding a guess here in thinking that the number of us who love cooking are outnumbered by those who don't or don't have time for it, but I'm still thinking a resource like this would be hugely helpful for the community at large.

If there is such a resource that I completely missed (as great as this subforum is, there isn't quite a unified presentation of this information), I'd really appreciate a link to it. If there isn't a known compilation of nutrition information and recipes designed for fighters, would such a resource appeal to you?

I make no claims to being a nutritionist, dietitian, or any other such thing, but I'm good with doing research, communicating with people in the know, and putting information together in a presentable fashion. Basically, I'm saying that, if it would be useful, I could begin work on a website with the goal of creating a much-inclusive cookbook and diet guide specifically for fighters.

Thoughts?

Edit: I went ahead and registered FightersCookbook.com. I've gotta map out exactly what I want to do with it and put together a presentation system, but I have it and will make use of it before long. Here's to hoping it's useful for you guys.
__________________
-Kenny
Track with my progress via my blog, From Fat Kid to Fighter.

Last edited by Kendrik : 07-16-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Kendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
HeadlessNorseman?
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 131
Qwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura aboutQwertty has a spectacular aura about
many of the technique/conditioning books have pretty good diets in them, but i would love to find what your are talking about and am all for it, some type of all inclusive book or list. Most diet books have meals that are unrealistic to live off of every day, unless you are retired or just rich. If you want to look for yourself, some books that come to mind are training for warriors, nutrient timing system, the reality diet, and NHB ultimate guide to conditioning
Qwertty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Kendrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 89
Kendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the roughKendrik is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertty View Post
many of the technique/conditioning books have pretty good diets in them, but i would love to find what your are talking about and am all for it, some type of all inclusive book or list. Most diet books have meals that are unrealistic to live off of every day, unless you are retired or just rich. If you want to look for yourself, some books that come to mind are training for warriors, nutrient timing system, the reality diet, and NHB ultimate guide to conditioning
Thanks for the book list. That'll help with my researching.

Glad the idea appeals to you. I'm still mapping out exactly what I want to do with my idea, but I should have something visible in the very near future (though it will take time for it to be a thorough resource as I have to gather information and craft original recipes and so on... things which will take time).

@madroxmma: I'll let you know when I have something that'll be useful for you.
__________________
-Kenny
Track with my progress via my blog, From Fat Kid to Fighter.
Kendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Budhisten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 9,156
Budhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF Material
So we're wondering about a cookbook about clean/healthy/easy-to-make food? Would be awesome

There must be something close out there, just not MMA-related?
__________________



MMAForum - Please follow, like and download our app!
Budhisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
recon6991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 607
recon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enoughrecon6991 will become famous soon enough
Alright, this is a topic me and friends have discussed fairly recently. This is just an assumption because I dont have first hand experience with either of these things, but I think a bodybuilder/strength athlete diet would work really well in this situation. Something like 40/40/20, 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat. Just sort of a basic muscle building diet- I think that could be highly effective with MMA. Of course, if one is training MMA/grappling/striking lets say 5+ times a week, or several days with multiple practices, the overall calories would need to be higher than normal.

I think it necessary to say this- you're diet is a much bigger player in how you look than the time you spend in the gym, so if success in MMA and an aesthetic physique is a goal of yours, watch your food. Hope this post helps
__________________
I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.
recon6991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
'Man of Stone'
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
mroutdoorsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 430
mroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level nowmroutdoorsman is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon6991 View Post
Alright, this is a topic me and friends have discussed fairly recently. This is just an assumption because I dont have first hand experience with either of these things, but I think a bodybuilder/strength athlete diet would work really well in this situation. Something like 40/40/20, 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat. Just sort of a basic muscle building diet- I think that could be highly effective with MMA. Of course, if one is training MMA/grappling/striking lets say 5+ times a week, or several days with multiple practices, the overall calories would need to be higher than normal.

I think it necessary to say this- you're diet is a much bigger player in how you look than the time you spend in the gym, so if success in MMA and an aesthetic physique is a goal of yours, watch your food. Hope this post helps
Yeah during pre-fight training periods and even high normal training periods training 5-6 days a week the calorie intake has to be really high. I know for myself personally I burn a little over 2000 calories resting and with exercise it is around 6-8k so I have to keep my intake around 9-10k to gain mass and not feel hungry all the time. Calorie intake this high while keeping fat intake low and protein and carbohydrate intake high is extremely difficult when wanting to keep body fat down around 8-10% and sometimes lower depending on the build and desired weight of the particular person.
__________________

"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood." - General George Patton
mroutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Doogster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I have posted my meal plan on google docs I will keep adding to it as well:

email me if you have other good recpies.

These meals were passed onto me from up an coming MMA star Michael Gagnon (Ringside Champion)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0
Doogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
jswalker has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrik View Post
I've been looking around a little bit here on the forum and online, and I'm not really finding what I'm looking for. I see lots of discussion on improving diet, protein powders, various shakes, and so on... but has anyone seen fit to create something of an all-in-one source for MMA nutrition and, of particular interest, well designed recipes and meals for a training fighter?

I'm hazarding a guess here in thinking that the number of us who love cooking are outnumbered by those who don't or don't have time for it, but I'm still thinking a resource like this would be hugely helpful for the community at large.

If there is such a resource that I completely missed (as great as this subforum is, there isn't quite a unified presentation of this information), I'd really appreciate a link to it. If there isn't a known compilation of nutrition information and recipes designed for fighters, would such a resource appeal to you?

I make no claims to being a nutritionist, dietitian, or any other such thing, but I'm good with doing research, communicating with people in the know, and putting information together in a presentable fashion. Basically, I'm saying that, if it would be useful, I could begin work on a website with the goal of creating a much-inclusive cookbook and diet guide specifically for fighters.

Thoughts?

Edit: I went ahead and registered FightersCookbook.com. I've gotta map out exactly what I want to do with it and put together a presentation system, but I have it and will make use of it before long. Here's to hoping it's useful for you guys.
I think it's pretty awesome how you're willing to contribute to the MMA community by doing some extra research to develop an MMA cooking plan of your own, with the intent of sharing it afterwards.

Since you're in the process of picking up more material to read-up on regarding MMA cooking plans for real MMA trainers and fighters, I've got just what you're looking for:

http://tinyurl.com/train-like-you-mean-it

I'm thinking about getting it myself since it's got a 2 days a week workout plan, so please let us know how it's working out for you after you've finished reading through the material.
jswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios