Punching yourself in the face to be able to take punches better. - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Training & Nutrition Training and Nutrition are essential in becoming a top notch mixed martial artist. Discuss with other fighters how to get and stay in top shape!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
The Title Guy
 
kantowrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 12,599
                     
Ok, now I get it. You mean a boxing stance. I notice that varies in MMA!

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 AM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
Thanks for the rep everyone.
No thanks necessary. When you put in work like that, you earned it.



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 AM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,988
                     
I punched myself in the head a bunch of times tonight but I dont know if it did any good.

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 AM
You're not terribly important to me
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 15,155
Blog Entries: 1
                     
i do it all the time and i can take hits a bit better, i disagree that it cant benefit you though because i was hit with a hook to the chin and then an uppercut with 16ounces in training and i took it pretty well compared to maybe how i used to have taken it.


Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
SpoKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 4,601
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC_OWNS View Post
i do it all the time and i can take hits a bit better, i disagree that it cant benefit you though because i was hit with a hook to the chin and then an uppercut with 16ounces in training and i took it pretty well compared to maybe how i used to have taken it.
I know what you mean. At this point though I've been training so long that I'm used to getting punched. I'm not really flinchy and I know I can take a solid hit and be okay so I'm wondering if that's more mental than chin durability. Maybe both...? I've gotten a concussion before but I never got knocked out or put on wobbly legs. I don't know why, I think I have a good chin.


Sweet sig by Life B EZ


I feel like I get paid way to much money, but not enough -Nick Diaz
SpoKen is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Bantamweight
 
Zemelya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 556
                     
important thing to train is vestibular system - get yourself dizzy and throw punches-kicks

after x time of training you'll be able to control yourself much better

doesn't work for outcold KOs obviously

HONESTA MORS TURPI VITA POTIOR
Zemelya is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemelya View Post
important thing to train is vestibular system - get yourself dizzy and throw punches-kicks

after x time of training you'll be able to control yourself much better

doesn't work for outcold KOs obviously
Great call, I had forgotten all about this kind of training.



Fedor likes to put one index finger infront of his eyes, stare at it, spin in a circle a half dozen to a dozen times, then hit pads or shadow box.

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
d3rkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 65
                     
Thought I'd just add something to this thread.

Firstly, well done to Khoveraki for spending a good bit of time reading up on everything and posting. Though I feel some of what you've written can be clarified a wee bit.

The three nerves you have given as an example are not in the jawbone (mandible) but are Cranial Nerves which branch out from the Medulla and though they have distributions around the mandible, none are actually located within it. The only nerve located within the body of the jawbone is the Inferior Dental Nerve - which is a branch of another Cranial Nerve - the Trigeminal.

However, as these nerves exit from the Medulla, they are linked to the brainstem - and it is injuries to this area which can result in a knockout. Not being hit directly on any of these nerves.

The actual intricacies of a knockout (such as how the brain shuts down and consciousness is lost when it happens) are still relatively unknown, though hitting a 'nerve' in the jaw will most definitely not cause any form of unconsciousness. This arises from trauma to brain cells or the brainstem. The reason that getting hit in the jaw results in more knockouts than hits elsewhere is because it is a loose projection attached to the bottom of the head and a hit here results in the mandible accelerating quickly, and thus a sharp rotation to the head, causing direct or indirect trauma to the brainstem or a sudden jolt to the brain, which can accelerates so fast it hits the skull before the cerebrospinal fluid which protects it can act as a shock absorber - thus resulting in brain trauma, and loss of or a decrease in consciousness/awareness.

You can increase bone density in the mandible through bone hardening (cortical remodelling), though you have correctly pointed out that no amount of trauma to this area through punching oneself will help stop a knockout. What would help stop a knockout however would (as pointed out by Slapshot) be to keep your chin tucked, as well as having the jaw closed tightly. Strong neck, masseter and temporalis muscles would aid this (along with a good mouthguard and being fit enough not to gas and leave your mouth hanging open during a fight!), and this would help ensure any blows to the jaw would ensure the head is not rotated too quickly, and the tension in these muscles being released on point of impact, would help absorb some of the blow from the strike.

Hope this helps.

d3rkk is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Photobucket
 
Machida Karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arizona!
Posts: 3,570
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rommyaali View Post
lol i know it sounds stupid but I heard alot of boxers use it.

obviously wearing their gloves and not punching full-out their hardest.

thanks.

Good IDEA! I would start immediately


Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC_OWNS View Post
i do it all the time and i can take hits a bit better, i disagree that it cant benefit you though because i was hit with a hook to the chin and then an uppercut with 16ounces in training and i took it pretty well compared to maybe how i used to have taken it.
I love it when the children pretend to train

Sig credit to my Homie! limba!

Uncrowned P4P Kingpin
Jon "Bones" Jones
WAR ANTHONY PETTIS! WAR HENDERSON!
Machida Karate is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Thank you d3rkk that was a great clarification and really helped. Nice to have someone of your specialty and level weighing in.


I found this part especially interesting because so many of us here have wondered, fruitlessly, if strengthening any muscle could truly help in preventing a knockout:

Quote:
Strong neck, masseter and temporalis muscles would aid this (along with a good mouthguard and being fit enough not to gas and leave your mouth hanging open during a fight!), and this would help ensure any blows to the jaw would ensure the head is not rotated too quickly, and the tension in these muscles being released on point of impact, would help absorb some of the blow from the strike.



I think this is turning into one of the more informative threads on MMAF.

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome