What makes for a good program? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Training & Nutrition Training and Nutrition are essential in becoming a top notch mixed martial artist. Discuss with other fighters how to get and stay in top shape!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Jersey5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4
 
What makes for a good program?

Hello all,
A new school offering MT and BJJ just opened about 15 minutes from my house, so I was happy to hear that. About a year back I spent 2-3 months at a school about 45 minutes away, but stopped going for a few reasons. I enjoyed it, but I felt the instructors themselves were...sub par, to say the least. There was no question as to whether they knew what they where teaching, the problem was that they really weren't teaching anything at all, it was more or less a bunch of shadow boxing and then group up and throw punches/make attempts to submit your partner.

So this leads me to my question. Tell tale signs of a good school. What, if any, are they? This place is new, so it doesn't have a reputation to go on, and I can only sit in on so many sessions without feeling like an asshole. So what's the deal, I don't wanna get stuck like last time, what should I look for at this new place?
Jersey5.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 227
 
A lot of exercising, that's one. A lot of cardio, stretching, a LOT of padwork, and a lot of sparring (like semi-contact or something. body shots allowed, no punches to the face)...there also should be full-contact fights btwn the top students of the class...meaning, once you get to their level, you'll fight full contact as well. Also, it's a big plus if they have a ring.
That's for Muay Thai. I haven't started BJJ yet, so I really don't know. Good luck.
Trainee is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Outta My Head
 
Onganju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 1,220
Blog Entries: 11
                     
Besides the actual instruction (because it sounds like you've already sat through a session or two), see if you can confirm/verify the credentials of your instructors. It takes seconds to Google a person's name to be able to verify their credentials if they're documented. You can also do the same for the people who they claim to have been schooled under.

I'd take a minute or two to check out their backgrounds to see if they are legit. onthemat.com is a good place to start. If the place is as new as you say it is, they may not have enough intermediate/advanced students to be able to seriously get into sparring.

It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree... As long as I don't bore you and I spark a moment of thought, my goal is achieved.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Jersey5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4
 
Thanks for the help, guys. Anything else I should look for would be greatly appreciated.
Jersey5.0 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey5.0
Hello all,
A new school offering MT and BJJ just opened about 15 minutes from my house, so I was happy to hear that. About a year back I spent 2-3 months at a school about 45 minutes away, but stopped going for a few reasons. I enjoyed it, but I felt the instructors themselves were...sub par, to say the least. There was no question as to whether they knew what they where teaching, the problem was that they really weren't teaching anything at all, it was more or less a bunch of shadow boxing and then group up and throw punches/make attempts to submit your partner.

So this leads me to my question. Tell tale signs of a good school. What, if any, are they? This place is new, so it doesn't have a reputation to go on, and I can only sit in on so many sessions without feeling like an asshole. So what's the deal, I don't wanna get stuck like last time, what should I look for at this new place?
the fight world is a small world. everyone seems to know everyone, even from diffrent dojos, this is common due to tournaments.
do not be afraid to ask questions of who and where, how long, what ever questions you want.
the computer serch way is another, as said before.
i am sure there are alot of dojos out there that are a flyby night spot due to the fact everyone wants to learn how to fight.

"every second your not training, he is..... and he is doing it, just to kick your ass"
kishiro is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Jersey5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4
 
Just thought I would update you guys. I stopped by the place tonight, talked for a while, bullshitted, got a schedule, met with some of the kids taking the class. It looked pretty good. He's new there, says he only has about 25 students at the moment, I liked that. I set it up so that I'm gonna be taking a couple classes and then deciding how I like this new place, and consequently, deciding if I want to join the school.

Run by a younger guy, mid to late twenties, about my age, which was cool, he was down to earth and honest with me.

So yeah, that's the point I'm at right now, just gonna get a few classes under me before I go signing anything, and see how I like the place. I'll keep you guys updated.
Jersey5.0 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey5.0
Just thought I would update you guys. I stopped by the place tonight, talked for a while, bullshitted, got a schedule, met with some of the kids taking the class. It looked pretty good. He's new there, says he only has about 25 students at the moment, I liked that. I set it up so that I'm gonna be taking a couple classes and then deciding how I like this new place, and consequently, deciding if I want to join the school.

Run by a younger guy, mid to late twenties, about my age, which was cool, he was down to earth and honest with me.

So yeah, that's the point I'm at right now, just gonna get a few classes under me before I go signing anything, and see how I like the place. I'll keep you guys updated.
the places i go to i pay per month with no contracts. i noticed a lot of people are stuck at a place due to the year contact.

"every second your not training, he is..... and he is doing it, just to kick your ass"
kishiro is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Jersey5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishiro
the places i go to i pay per month with no contracts. i noticed a lot of people are stuck at a place due to the year contact.
Yeah, I talked to him about the year contract, and I made it clear that I wasn't all that thrilled due to my college status, possibly going away a few months before my year is up. He said unfortunatley, that's how he does things. We will see.
Jersey5.0 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome