Hard-hitting Welterweight contender Jake Ellenberger has one loss since transitioning to the big leagues of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
A close split decision to Carlos Condit.
Since that disappointing night back in 2009, which served as his Octagon debut, "The Juggernaut" has won six straight contests with four violent finishes. He recently planished Diego Sanchez in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV earlier this month to put himself "in the mix."
Like Ellenberger, Condit has been flawless since they first met in Oklahoma City, recording four straight wins with three (T)KO victories. His unanimous decision victory over Nick Diaz at UFC 143 was good enough to earn him the division's Interim Championship.
With Georges St. Pierre rehabbing a surgically repaired knee, it could be several months before "The Natural Born Killer" has the opportunity to unify the 170-pound titles.
That leaves him a pretty sizable window to settle some unfinished business with Ellenberger, who tells Sherdog's Beatdown Radio it's a fight Condit doesn't want, and for good reason.
Check it out, after the jump.
"I think the fans do want it, but at the same time, I donít know if thatís what the UFC wants or not. I really donít. If it was up to me, then yeah, weíd probably be fighting in May or June, but I donít know if thatís what the UFC wants. I think they kind of still put it in Conditís hands, but I know Carlos. I know his manager, and I know they donít want that fight. But again, if I put myself in their shoes, I donít blame them. Itís not even necessarily a personal thing. Carlos right now has the belt, and thatís where I want to be. Heís a fantastic fighter and heís in the position heís in for a reason. I was hoping I could get another rematch with Condit, but whether he fights again is going to be up to him. Ö I wouldnít blame him if he wants to wait. Thatís just the reality of it, but in my opinion, I sure hope I get that fight."
Condit is not opposed to fighting prior to St. Pierre's return, but it all depends on how quickly the Canadian can "Rush" back into action. A November or December timetable will likely give Ellenberger the opportunity he's looking for; however, anything sooner than that and Condit will opt to wait.
And protect his Interim title in the process.
Even if he goes on to defeat St. Pierre, he'll likely cross paths with Ellenberger again anyway. It's (perhaps) just a question of when, not if. Unless some fantasy matchmakers out there in MMA land have a different perspective?