All former UFC LHW champions weigh in on Jones vs. Evans - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 85
HadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For Greatness
There is one thing I haven't really seen mentioned in these threads about this fight. The striking has to be in Evans favor, not because of the speed but because Jones' only advantage in stirking is his reach, Imo. Jones has not shown any legit knock out power. TKO's? Sure. But Evans has displayed a head kick knock out, a one punch knock out etc. I think it was Randy who gave the best advice, Evans has to keep Jones guessing. He can't just try get inside (getting passed Jone's length) If Evans gets inside and doesn't hurt Jones, then Jones will most likely clinch up immediately and take the fight to the ground.
HadouKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
MMA Patriot
 
americanfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 3,990
americanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By All
haven't been this excited for a fight in a long time. It's so exciting because I have no clue how this fight will go. Normally I have some Idea of how i think the fight will play out and what the game plans will be but this one I just don't know.

I think Rashad has the speed to pull off the upset but I really can't say. If I had to bet i would bet on jones though.
__________________
"The fat man flies at midnight"
americanfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,444
jonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadouKEN View Post
There is one thing I haven't really seen mentioned in these threads about this fight. The striking has to be in Evans favor, not because of the speed but because Jones' only advantage in stirking is his reach, Imo. Jones has not shown any legit knock out power. TKO's? Sure. But Evans has displayed a head kick knock out, a one punch knock out etc. I think it was Randy who gave the best advice, Evans has to keep Jones guessing. He can't just try get inside (getting passed Jone's length) If Evans gets inside and doesn't hurt Jones, then Jones will most likely clinch up immediately and take the fight to the ground.
You are insane.

I love how people overrate Evans' striking....still. Casual fans usually. Or big Rashad fans.

He KO'd Chuck Liddell....who anyone with hands was doing at the time. He has power because he KO'd the most KOable fighter at that time?

He head kick KO'd Sean Salmon. WOW. AMAZING! SEAN SALMON. How many year ago did he KO that amazing fighter? What is it like getting close to like 6 years ago?

We are using those fights to say Rashad has power? OOOoooook....

He has better striking than Jones? You mean Jones who beat Shogun and Rampage in mostly striking contests? Who was the last person Evans schooled standing up? Evans gets rocked just about every fight. He got tagged by Tito Ortiz in the 1st.

If anyone thinks Rashad has better striking than Jones they should just stop watching MMA. Or just open their eyes.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 85
HadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
You are insane.

I love how people overrate Evans' striking....still. Casual fans usually. Or big Rashad fans.

He KO'd Chuck Liddell....who anyone with hands was doing at the time. He has power because he KO'd the most KOable fighter at that time?

He head kick KO'd Sean Salmon. WOW. AMAZING! SEAN SALMON. How many year ago did he KO that amazing fighter? What is it like getting close to like 6 years ago?

We are using those fights to say Rashad has power? OOOoooook....

He has better striking than Jones? You mean Jones who beat Shogun and Rampage in mostly striking contests? Who was the last person Evans schooled standing up? Evans gets rocked just about every fight. He got tagged by Tito Ortiz in the 1st.

If anyone thinks Rashad has better striking than Jones they should just stop watching MMA. Or just open their eyes.
This is what I don't like about the internet. Just because you disagree with someone does not mean you have to insult them. I'm not an MMA fanboy but I guess you know because you know me so well right???

A Knock out is a knock out man, and if you are trying to deny Rashad has knock out power you need a reality check.

I'd like for you to explain to me how Jones has better striking, being unorthodox doesn't not always mean you are better at striking and like I said (again same as Randy) Rashad needs to keep Jones guessing. Jones only advantage in the sriking department is his reach. What else does he have in his striking that makes him a better striker than Rashad?

"Try to play off your natural strengths. If you have solid punching power, consider focusing on striking. If you have wrestling experience from high school or college, focus on your ground game. That being said you need to know both striking and grappling as most gyms train their fighters in a balanced style."

Again unorthdox is a method of good striking but it isn't the only method. Look at Silva vs Griffin, was Anderson Silva using an unorthodox method? No he was countering, by bobbing and weaving something Rashad can do. In no way am I saying Rashad is on the level of Silva in terms of striking. Evans has great timing and a good use of in and out but again I am not saying Rashad will win this fight I never said that, I think for him to win it he has to keep Jones guessing. Randy Couture said it himself:

"Rashad has the speed and skills to win," Couture said. "Rashad has to avoid his propensity for standing up and just striking, which he has done in the past. He can't just strike with Jones; if he does, he will lose because Jon has more tools in the toolbox. Rashad has to take Jones down, not just once or twice but every single time he has any opportunity. If Jones is worried about getting taken down, that's when Rashad can put his hands on him and do some damage. But he has to keep Jon guessing if it is a takedown or a strike that's coming."

If you can't accept the fact that other people have different opinions than you then I advise you to get out in the real world.

If you think Jones has better striking fine, tell me why you think so. You are not an MMA guru or god who can dicatate what other people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanfighter View Post
haven't been this excited for a fight in a long time. It's so exciting because I have no clue how this fight will go. Normally I have some Idea of how i think the fight will play out and what the game plans will be but this one I just don't know.

I think Rashad has the speed to pull off the upset but I really can't say. If I had to bet i would bet on jones though.
I would bet on Jones as well. I agree Rashad has a chance it just seems more likely that Jones will win.
HadouKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,317
John8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadouKEN View Post
I'd like for you to explain to me how Jones has better striking, being unorthodox doesn't not always mean you are better at striking and like I said (again same as Randy) Rashad needs to keep Jones guessing. Jones only advantage in the sriking department is his reach. What else does he have in his striking that makes him a better striker than Rashad?
Jon Jones has a 9 inch reach advantage, he's eight years younger which speaks to his stamina. His finish rate is about 40% higher than Rashads with two more TKO/KO's. He has never been dropped in a fight, Rashad's been dropped four out his last five times. He's performed better against the three common opponants (Bonnar, Machida, Jackson) than Evans. He is also a half a foot taller Rashad which translates to being almost two weight classes above him. Whatever claptrap this Rashad is the better striker nonsense will end on Saturday.
John8204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 85
HadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For GreatnessHadouKEN Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
Jon Jones has a 9 inch reach advantage, he's eight years younger which speaks to his stamina. His finish rate is about 40% higher than Rashads with two more TKO/KO's. He has never been dropped in a fight, Rashad's been dropped four out his last five times. He's performed better against the three common opponants (Bonnar, Machida, Jackson) than Evans. He is also a half a foot taller Rashad which translates to being almost two weight classes above him. Whatever claptrap this Rashad is the better striker nonsense will end on Saturday.
Thank you for proving my point. I specifically said Jones advantage in stirking to rAshad is his reach which you just alluded to by saying, "Jon Jones has a 9 inch reach advantage" and " He is also a half a foot taller Rashad which translates to being almost two weight classes above him.".

What does Stamina have to do with Striking? You act like Rashad isn't a really conditioned athlete. LOL. Again thank you for proving my point I specificalyl said, "Jones has not shown any legit knock out power. TKO's? Sure. But Evans has displayed a head kick knock out, a one punch knock out etc" So I'm not sure why you are bringing up the TKO reference when I already brought it up in my original post.

Stick to the topic, Evans striking is very good.
-66.7% career striking defense (better than Jones current rate)

Again Rashad has knock out power despite what you claim. Jones is the better fighter, better striker? absolutely not! Granted he does have a much better percentage but again in my opinon that alludes to his length, Rashad's boxing is very good.

Jones has more ways to win, his best weapon is his length which is why like I've said multiple times is that Rashad should encorporate his wrestling and keep Jones guessing.

Striking coach Mike Winkeljohn:

Winkeljohn feels Jones has the tools to do what he wants to do in this fight, and believes the reach advantage that he's come to use very effectively will be a big reason why he wins in Atlanta."With [Lyoto] Machida, he was a little tentative, and had not fought a left hander, so he was a little uncomfortable, but very comfortable when he fought Rampage," Winkeljohn said. "If Jon fights long, he's pretty much unbeatable... Rashad is very explosive. He can get in and he can move off at angles, but we kind of know what he's going to have to do to get there. There's no doubt he's going to be in tight." "We expect to get taken down and maybe have to get up, and maybe even take some damage. With that being said, I have confidence that Jon can keep him at length, if he decides to, and make Rashad have to guess at what to do then."

No offense but I will take his opinion over yours.

I will say though Jones is a much more diversive striker than Evans and he is the better overall fighter.
HadouKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
M.C
needs more cowbell
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 9,615
M.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the system
Use the "edit" button if you want to add more to your post Hadouken, double posting isn't allowed here. Thanks.
__________________

Former Administrator
MMAF H.O.F Inductee
MMAF GFX Champion
2013 Biggest Gamer
2009 Debater of the year
M.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,444
jonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadouKEN View Post
This is what I don't like about the internet. Just because you disagree with someone does not mean you have to insult them. I'm not an MMA fanboy but I guess you know because you know me so well right???

A Knock out is a knock out man, and if you are trying to deny Rashad has knock out power you need a reality check.

I'd like for you to explain to me how Jones has better striking, being unorthodox doesn't not always mean you are better at striking and like I said (again same as Randy) Rashad needs to keep Jones guessing. Jones only advantage in the sriking department is his reach. What else does he have in his striking that makes him a better striker than Rashad?

"Try to play off your natural strengths. If you have solid punching power, consider focusing on striking. If you have wrestling experience from high school or college, focus on your ground game. That being said you need to know both striking and grappling as most gyms train their fighters in a balanced style."

Again unorthdox is a method of good striking but it isn't the only method. Look at Silva vs Griffin, was Anderson Silva using an unorthodox method? No he was countering, by bobbing and weaving something Rashad can do. In no way am I saying Rashad is on the level of Silva in terms of striking. Evans has great timing and a good use of in and out but again I am not saying Rashad will win this fight I never said that, I think for him to win it he has to keep Jones guessing. Randy Couture said it himself:

"Rashad has the speed and skills to win," Couture said. "Rashad has to avoid his propensity for standing up and just striking, which he has done in the past. He can't just strike with Jones; if he does, he will lose because Jon has more tools in the toolbox. Rashad has to take Jones down, not just once or twice but every single time he has any opportunity. If Jones is worried about getting taken down, that's when Rashad can put his hands on him and do some damage. But he has to keep Jon guessing if it is a takedown or a strike that's coming."

If you can't accept the fact that other people have different opinions than you then I advise you to get out in the real world.

If you think Jones has better striking fine, tell me why you think so. You are not an MMA guru or god who can dicatate what other people think.



I would bet on Jones as well. I agree Rashad has a chance it just seems more likely that Jones will win.
Get thicker skin.


You want me to tell you why Jon Jones is a better striker?

Because he has out-struck very good strikers. What more proof do you need? He beat down Shogun and Rampage easily winning in the striking department. Rashad has been tagged each fight and doesn't look to strike with anyone really. Throws a couple punches to set up a take down.

Jones has a massive reach advantage.

Has much better kicks.

Has devastating elbows if he has you against the cage.

Other than the knee that put out Tito Crusty Ortiz, it is safe to say Jones has better knees...he can actually reach Evans' chin with them....Evans really can't.

Jones is much harder to prepare for striking because he does many more unusual things. He has way more tools in the striking department and showed that in the Shogun and Rampage fights.

You are talking about KOs from 3-6 years ago. Guys who weren't even top 10...1 is a nobody....and the other was a 39 year old fighter with a shot chin. Who was KO'd by 4 fighters in like the last 2 years of his career. ANd knocked down by Jardine.

I hate Jon Jones.

I am a Chuck Liddell fanboy.

You have nothing. You act like someone on the internet is a POS for calling someone out on a ridiculous statement. No you don't have to agree with me. But I'm going to tell you why your opinion has no backing. Opinions are a dime a dozen.

I'm bringing insight. Now bring your insight as to why Rashad has better striking. Something other than vague opinions like "all Jones does has on him is reach".

Just because Rashad has KO'd a way past him prime man who got KO'd every time out at the end and KO'd a straight can from years ago doesn't mean he is a good striker. Rashad is actually a very very average striker. He has some quickness but he has no defense and has never put on a complete striking performance. Not a single time.

He was getting out struck for most of the fight vs. Forrest.

He got KTFO with ease by Machida. Machida made it look easy.

He got tagged and almost finished by Page. Spent most of the rest of teh fight wrestling him.

He was tagged and stumbled by Thiago Silva...won the fight by wrestling.

He beat Tito Ortiz. Was actually tagged pretty good by Ortiz in teh first round.

He out wrestled Phil Davis. Out-struck him too. But Phil has a newbie to striking and he is pretty below average on his feet.

SO I really don't know where to look to see this striking by Rashad. If he has it....he doesn't use it. While Jon Jones has out-struck every fighter he has faced. And he has beat most of the elite LHWs.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
M.C
needs more cowbell
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 9,615
M.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Get thicker skin.
No, this isn't high school, be civil or get out of the thread.

Debate, discuss, have different opinions, but be civil in debate or don't debate. This goes for everyone, and you should know that by now.
__________________

Former Administrator
MMAF H.O.F Inductee
MMAF GFX Champion
2013 Biggest Gamer
2009 Debater of the year
M.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 8,012
Life B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings System
Very cool, but I just realized that there has only been one two time lhw champ....that's what I took away from that. Haha.
__________________
Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios