Aldo out, Faber/Barao headlines UFC 149 - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,404
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandThemUp View Post
I love MMA and always will. But these injuries are going to be the main thing that prevents this sport from ever even coming close to competeing with the Big 4. It's part of the sport and I get that, as an MMA junkie I get that. But the average fan will not.

All of these title shots being postponed or changed either due to injury or failed drug tests will prevent this sport from ever being more than it is.

These kind of last minute injuries and in other cases, suspensions, are equivelant to an NFL team losing it's starting QB the week before a Playoff Game or the week before the Superbowl. It totally loses all appeal when the top guys are not participating. If the NFL lost Quarter Backs as often as this sport loses Main Event Fighters, the NFL would not even be half of what it is today.

They may be able to do something about the suspensions, but there is nothing they can do about the injuries. And that will always plaque this sport. I'll still watch, no matter who gets replaced or whoever replaces them. But I am not the average fan.
Not a basketball fan, I take it?


Anyway, I think this will be a smaller problem when the sport becomes deeper. Right now there are only a handful of fighters in the featherweight division, so there's no one to bring in when a fight gets scrapped. if you have 60-70 fighters and 8-10 solid contenders, it's a lot easier to get another interesting fight as the main event.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Bantamweight
 
Ludinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 729
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandThemUp View Post
I love MMA and always will. But these injuries are going to be the main thing that prevents this sport from ever even coming close to competeing with the Big 4. It's part of the sport and I get that, as an MMA junkie I get that. But the average fan will not.

All of these title shots being postponed or changed either due to injury or failed drug tests will prevent this sport from ever being more than it is.

These kind of last minute injuries and in other cases, suspensions, are equivelant to an NFL team losing it's starting QB the week before a Playoff Game or the week before the Superbowl. It totally loses all appeal when the top guys are not participating. If the NFL lost Quarter Backs as often as this sport loses Main Event Fighters, the NFL would not even be half of what it is today.

They may be able to do something about the suspensions, but there is nothing they can do about the injuries. And that will always plaque this
sport. I'll still watch, no matter who gets replaced or whoever replaces them. But I am not the average fan.
This is so true. Losing a main event is a massive issuer for the UFC and for tha fans and it's happening so often. Example, Overeem vs Jds had me pumped for weeks then drug tests and injuries transformed what could of been the biggest card of the year into a mess leading upto the event, it lost it's appeal big time. The problem is these guys are all training in camps together, they get into the cage training, but spar like it's a title fight. Plus the UFC doesn't help the problem for expecting so so much from these guys so they push them selfs to the max. I can't see the sport evolving any bigger, not when you can't get excited for an event
incase something happens.

Diaz..Edgar.. Cormier.. Cain.. Mir.. Overeem.. Jon Jones

Last edited by Ludinator; 06-10-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Ludinator is offline  
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don$ukh View Post
What about Jung vs Koch for a title shot, both guys are always improving and it will give them more experience and development to be ready for Aldo.
But this would hurt the division again, the problem is they never seem to have a clear cut #1 contender and if they have these two fight they will be in the same boat again right after where if they stick to the Koch/Aldo program it will leave Jung the next clear contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabakill View Post
I couldn't get tickets, I kind of hope a few more guys miss the card and the card sucks so hard the UFC is compelled to come back to calgary, and I can get tickets.
You and me both,




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Sovereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 82
                     
This is really the year of the injury. One has to wonder why we rarely hear of a major name pulling out of a boxing or kickboxing match, but in MMA we have guys pulling out of nearly every event.

Case in point Vitor Belfort. Tell me how the hell you are punching someone so hard, in training mind you, that you break your hand? Seriously.

I really do want to see these guys in the best shape possible for their fights, but come on, if your training so hard that you can't even make it to fight day it kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Sovereign is offline  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,536
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
This is really the year of the injury. One has to wonder why we rarely hear of a major name pulling out of a boxing or kickboxing match, but in MMA we have guys pulling out of nearly every event.

Case in point Vitor Belfort. Tell me how the hell you are punching someone so hard, in training mind you, that you break your hand? Seriously.

I really do want to see these guys in the best shape possible for their fights, but come on, if your training so hard that you can't even make it to fight day it kind of defeats the purpose, no?
With Vitor it's chronic injuries, this is the third or fourth time he's broken his hand. Ironically enough the best way to deal with these injuries we don't allow because of steroid regulations.
John8204 is online now  
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
This is really the year of the injury. One has to wonder why we rarely hear of a major name pulling out of a boxing or kickboxing match, but in MMA we have guys pulling out of nearly every event.

Case in point Vitor Belfort. Tell me how the hell you are punching someone so hard, in training mind you, that you break your hand? Seriously.

I really do want to see these guys in the best shape possible for their fights, but come on, if your training so hard that you can't even make it to fight day it kind of defeats the purpose, no?
Boxers only train one aspect, for example Thiago Alves and Brian Stann hurt their shoulders wrestling. A boxer doesn't have to worry about that.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Sovereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 82
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
Boxers only train one aspect, for example Thiago Alves and Brian Stann hurt their shoulders wrestling. A boxer doesn't have to worry about that.
That's true, but say we are talking about a wrestler who is going to compete in the Olympics, unless his injury is catastrophic he isn't pulling out. Kurt Angle broke his neck at the Olympics trials, still went on to compete and won gold.

That's an extreme example, of course, and I don't want these guys putting themselves in harms way by fighting with a dangerous injury, but the number of aborted fights in the last 2 years due to injury is insane.

This is just seems really strange to me.

I guess the only thing we can do is pray that Silva/Sonnen II isn't called off due to injury, lol.

Sovereign is offline  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
That's true, but say we are talking about a wrestler who is going to compete in the Olympics, unless his injury is catastrophic he isn't pulling out. Kurt Angle broke his neck at the Olympics trials, still went on to compete and won gold.

That's an extreme example, of course, and I don't want these guys putting themselves in harms way by fighting with a dangerous injury, but the number of aborted fights in the last 2 years due to injury is insane.

This is just seems really strange to me.
That's where the insurance comes in, I've read around on some forums Aldo has a thigh strain and it's keeping him out of training for 3-4 weeks. If the UFC didn't have fighters insurance we probably wouldn't have seen so many pull outs. There's some injuries you can work through and there's some you can't.

Guys do need to ease up, training is training, you're not supposed to go as hard in the gym as you would in the actual fight. Injuries are expected but so many big fights are being scrapped and it's a real big blow to a sport that has the doors to the mainstream wide open.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
That's true, but say we are talking about a wrestler who is going to compete in the Olympics, unless his injury is catastrophic he isn't pulling out. Kurt Angle broke his neck at the Olympics trials, still went on to compete and won gold.

That's an extreme example, of course, and I don't want these guys putting themselves in harms way by fighting with a dangerous injury, but the number of aborted fights in the last 2 years due to injury is insane.

This is just seems really strange to me.

I guess the only thing we can do is pray that Silva/Sonnen II isn't called off due to injury, lol.
You can't say you are hurt and have them reschedule the olympics for you. I don't want to see guys trying to fight with ripped up knees and shoulders. They fight with lesser injuries all the time but if one of your limbs is useless you shouldn't step into the cage.
osmium is offline  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Lightweight
 
The Best Around's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,502
                     
I don't care about 149, I'm more upset that 149 has when frrom a supercard to a good card, kind of like the last PPV. The UFC is getting killed here with injuries. But yes Koch is getting screwed the most; who knows if he will get a title shot when Aldo comes back.

The Best Around is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome