Is Matt Hughes still the most dominate WW ever? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM
It Lurks...
 
evilappendix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NOLA
Posts: 636
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
GSP's win streak is 9 fights, of which he has a 70% decision rate. Since he started his title run, he's on an 84% decision rate. That is extraordinarily high for a champion in MMA. Keep in mind, this is against fighters that have been finished by other people, they aren't fighters that are simply too tough to finish - they have been finished, GSP did not do it.

Hughes, on the other hand, during his prime and his championship run, had a 75% finish rate (out of 13 fights no less), pretty much the exact opposite of GSP, including finishing GSP (a young GSP, of course), and easily had the more exciting fights. To put it into perspective, it's the same finish rate Anderson Silva has since he won the title (and the same amount of fights, 13), that's crazy.

I realize that a win is a win, and I have also already acknowledged GSP is the best WW in the sport's history at this point, just pointing this out because I don't want the "gap" between Hughes and GSP to be overrated, yes GSP is the best WW, but it's not by a huge margin, Hughes is damn impressive and has some damn good accomplishments, and a vastly superior finish rate than GSP has, I think that has to be counted for in such a debate.

What he said.
evilappendix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,402
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
GSP's win streak is 9 fights, of which he has a 70% decision rate. Since he started his title run, he's on an 84% decision rate. That is extraordinarily high for a champion in MMA. Keep in mind, this is against fighters that have been finished by other people, they aren't fighters that are simply too tough to finish - they have been finished, GSP did not do it.

Hughes, on the other hand, during his prime and his championship run, had a 75% finish rate (out of 13 fights no less), pretty much the exact opposite of GSP, including finishing GSP (a young GSP, of course), and easily had the more exciting fights.

I realize that a win is a win, and I have also already acknowledged GSP is the best WW in the sport's history at this point, just pointing this out because I don't want the "gap" between Hughes and GSP to be overrated, yes GSP is the best WW, but it's not by a huge margin, Hughes is damn impressive and has some damn good accomplishments, and a vastly superior finish rate than GSP has, I think that has to be counted for in such a debate.
The finishing rate in this discussion is about as relevant as possession percentage is in soccer. Some teams try to keep the ball and create opportunities off of ball movement, others rely on defense and fast break points.

In this case GSP stresses control. Finishing an opponent is not nearly as important to him as nullifying their offense. And he's successfully nullified the offense of anyone they've put in front of him since Serra. A 50-45 point win is no less dominant than a finish.

You can't impose a different set of rules than the one the sport uses just because finishes look better on screen.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,421
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Nerd View Post
The finishing rate in this discussion is about as relevant as possession percentage is in soccer. Some teams try to keep the ball and create opportunities off of ball movement, others rely on defense and fast break points.

In this case GSP stresses control. Finishing an opponent is not nearly as important to him as nullifying their offense. And he's successfully nullified the offense of anyone they've put in front of him since Serra. A 50-45 point win is no less dominant than a finish.

You can't impose a different set of rules than the one the sport uses just because finishes look better on screen.
Who is using a different set of rules? It's a no brainier that finishing an opponent is more impressive than not.

Do you honestly think getting a decision is more impressive than not? That's ridiculous, and if you say it is, I'd say you are switching the rules up for GSP, and that you would say no such thing for any other fighter. Would anybody on this planet deny that Jones win over Rashad would be more impressive if he had say, finished him in the second round instead of the decision? No, why? Because finishing fights is more substantial and impressive than not finishing them, GSP does not get a pass on this on any level.
M.C is online now  
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
It's debatable that GSP hasn't had a truly great win since the second BJ Penn fight. That was quite a while ago now.

I believe Matt Hughes was the more dominant champion of the two, and the statistics seem to back it up, as MC has pointed out.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 PM
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
People need to realize that finishing fights doesn't matter.

Floyd Mayweather goes to decision a bunch and he's the biggest draw in Boxing.

GSP goes to decision quite a bit, he's also the biggest draw in MMA as far as PPV sales go now that Lesnar is gone and is a much bigger draw than Anderson on PPV where it matters.

The finishing fight argument clearly does not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
It's debatable that GSP hasn't had a truly great win since the second BJ Penn fight. That was quite a while ago now.

I believe Matt Hughes was the more dominant champion of the two, and the statistics seem to back it up, as MC has pointed out.

Umm...Jake Shields?

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
People need to realize that finishing fights doesn't matter.

Floyd Mayweather goes to decision a bunch and he's the biggest draw in Boxing.

GSP goes to decision quite a bit, he's also the biggest draw in MMA as far as PPV sales go now that Lesnar is gone and is a much bigger draw than Anderson on PPV where it matters.

The finishing fight argument clearly does not matter.




Umm...Jake Shields?
Certainly not an overly dominant win over a fighter who has had an iffy career thus far in the UFC.

Scarcely out striking Jake Shields for a 5 round period isn't some thing I consider overly impressive.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,421
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
People need to realize that finishing fights doesn't matter.

Floyd Mayweather goes to decision a bunch and he's the biggest draw in Boxing.

GSP goes to decision quite a bit, he's also the biggest draw in MMA as far as PPV sales go now that Lesnar is gone and is a much bigger draw than Anderson on PPV where it matters.

The finishing fight argument clearly does not matter.




Umm...Jake Shields?
Nobody is talking about drawing power, and finish rate does matter when discussing the skill and dominance of two fighters, finish rate directly relates in part to it.
M.C is online now  
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 PM
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
Nobody is talking about drawing power, and finish rate does matter when discussing the skill and dominance of two fighters, finish rate directly relates in part to it.
Not quite, Hughes fought in a completely different era, they've got common opponents in Sherk and Penn and both guys finished BJ the second time around, GSP finished Sherk where as Hughes fought him to a decision.

Fitch and Alves just recently got finished but it was a long, long time in between them, the Koscheck fight should have been stopped also but for some reason they let it go on and let Koscheck suffer serious damage to his eye.

And besides, GSP's finished Hughes twice himself, GSP is clearly the more dominant of the two.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,421
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
Not quite, Hughes fought in a completely different era, they've got common opponents in Sherk and Penn and both guys finished BJ the second time around, GSP finished Sherk where as Hughes fought him to a decision.

Fitch and Alves just recently got finished but it was a long, long time in between them, the Koscheck fight should have been stopped also but for some reason they let it go on and let Koscheck suffer serious damage to his eye.

And besides, GSP's finished Hughes twice himself, GSP is clearly the more dominant of the two.
GSP beat Hughes after Hughes prime, and Hughes finished GSP as well in that regard.

Whether Fitch/Alves got finished before or after is irrelevant, both are in the same state they were when they fought him, and both have been finished - they are finish-able opponents.

I agree on the different era, but you can't judge on that. Hughes fought the best in his division by far at the time, the same way GSP fights the best in his division by far at his time. If we went like that, Liddell, Tito, Wandy, CC, Fedor, and anyone else who were dominant years back don't count in any GOAT discussion or any such thing, and GSP/Jones/Anderson won't count 5-10 years from now when even better fighters than them are on top. That's silly.
M.C is online now  
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
Not quite, Hughes fought in a completely different era, they've got common opponents in Sherk and Penn and both guys finished BJ the second time around, GSP finished Sherk where as Hughes fought him to a decision.

Fitch and Alves just recently got finished but it was a long, long time in between them, the Koscheck fight should have been stopped also but for some reason they let it go on and let Koscheck suffer serious damage to his eye.

And besides, GSP's finished Hughes twice himself, GSP is clearly the more dominant of the two.
You just raised a point to weaken your own argument there. Koscheck was half blind and mentally defeated by round 2, yet GSP still couldn't put Koscheck away (or even really attempt to) for the remaining four rounds.

He could have ended Koscheck in the 2nd or 3rd round, but didn't.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome