Wow what is your Reaction to Anderson & Chael stare down after the press conference!! - Page 9 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,461
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
I just got done watching the fight yesterday (first fight), Sonnen actually had no problems standing up with him. In fact, Sonnen actually got the better of him standing except for a flurry Anderson got off in the 4th (I think that was the round) where Sonnen survived fairly easy and got right back on top.

Not saying Sonnen is the better striker by any means, but I highly doubt that got Sonnen even the slightest bit worried. He already knows Anderson has great striking, that's nothing new, but what is new in this fight is he knows that he did quite well standing with him considering the skill gap in their striking ability.

Honestly, neither guy is scared or worried - it would be ridiculous to think otherwise. These are two top ranked MMA fighters who already fought once, one guy won and the other guy dominated him for 4 and a half rounds, both are coming into this fight with complete confidence and know what's going on, some pre-fight banter isn't going to worry either of them.
My point isnt whether its true or not. My point is that Sonnen did not look happy about the comment at all. Considering Sonnen was trying to wind Silva up during the whole conference, it was good to see Silva get under Sonnens skin a touch. Good on him.
Soojooko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:05 PM
official thrash metal connoisseur
 
hellholming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,248
                     
where was Sonnen's great striking against Bisping?

I think the success Sonnen was having in the striking department in the first fight is more due to Anderson's rib injury than his own technique.

I mean, have you ever seen Anderson look that slow before? or after?


Fedor, Mir, Lytle, Serra, Hendo, Chuck, Minowaman, Maynard, Forrest, Hunt
Pickett, Cerrone, Matt Brown, Bisping, Weidman, Barnett, Lawler

hellholming is offline  
post #83 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam365 View Post
but nobody's ever been like this to Anderson, insulting his family, friends and country. Chaels gotten to him for sure, you wouldn't be emotional if some did that to you in the media?
Anderson isn't bothered about those things, because he knows it's all an act. He knows that Chael is full of shit and doesn't even mean half of the stuff he says. It's all just false bravado and bullshit and Andy knows this. I don't think he could care less about Sonnens comments because it isn't real, none of it.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #84 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,031
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
My point isnt whether its true or not. My point is that Sonnen did not look happy about the comment at all. Considering Sonnen was trying to wind Silva up during the whole conference, it was good to see Silva get under Sonnens skin a touch. Good on him.
Why would that get under Sonnen's skin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellholming View Post
where was Sonnen's great striking against Bisping?

I think the success Sonnen was having in the striking department in the first fight is more due to Anderson's rib injury than his own technique.

I mean, have you ever seen Anderson look that slow before? or after?
I don't buy his rib injury excuse. Tell me the last person who got in Anderson's face right at the start of the bell, never holding back, rushing him and straight up taking the fight to him? Anderson requires time to feel his opponent out before he can get shots off, Sonnen didn't let him, he punched him in the head, got in his face, threw him on the ground and kept him there.

That has far more to do with Anderson's striking looking worse than it did in other fights, he's not scared of Anderson, he doesn't give Anderson room to breathe or find his pacing - he makes Anderson fight from the sound of the bell, and Anderson had 0 answers striking for this kind of pressure/pace.

Will he improve on that? I don't know, we will all have to wait and see, for his sake I would hope so, as he needs to change a lot of his game if he wants this fight going any other way for him (sub on his back at some point in the fight).

Very curious to see how this fight goes down, hoping for a war.
M.C is offline  
post #85 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 PM
official thrash metal connoisseur
 
hellholming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,248
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
I don't buy his rib injury excuse. Tell me the last person who got in Anderson's face right at the start of the bell, never holding back, rushing him and straight up taking the fight to him? Anderson requires time to feel his opponent out before he can get shots off, Sonnen didn't let him, he punched him in the head, got in his face, threw him on the ground and kept him there.

That has far more to do with Anderson's striking looking worse than it did in other fights, he's not scared of Anderson, he doesn't give Anderson room to breathe or find his pacing - he makes Anderson fight from the sound of the bell, and Anderson had 0 answers striking for this kind of pressure/pace.
then why hasn't Chael's striking looked as good since that fight? I mean, not even close.


Fedor, Mir, Lytle, Serra, Hendo, Chuck, Minowaman, Maynard, Forrest, Hunt
Pickett, Cerrone, Matt Brown, Bisping, Weidman, Barnett, Lawler

hellholming is offline  
post #86 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,525
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellholming View Post
then why hasn't Chael's striking looked as good since that fight? I mean, not even close.
His TRT got ****ed up maybe, he looked like an animal against Silva and has looked fairly average since the whole scandal
rabakill is offline  
post #87 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,031
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellholming View Post
then why hasn't Chael's striking looked as good since that fight? I mean, not even close.
Probably because Sonnen isn't a great striker, nore did I ever claim him to be.

Anderson's great striking comes from being able to have the time and pace to set up his strikes and learn the rhythm of the fight. Every single fighter he has fought as champion have always let him settle in and get his pacing down, and they all eventually paid for it.

If you take away his timing (the single most important part of his striking) he is not nearly as dangerous. Sonnen knows that, hell, everyone on this forum knows that - we all know Silva takes time and settles in for a few minutes before going at it, he has to get that timing down, without his timing and ability to strike at his distance and his pacing, he would not be nearly as dangerous.

Sonnen got in his face and punched him, kicked him, got at him from 1 second into the fight, Sonnen was beating him and pushing him striking before his rib ever even thought about getting hurt. His rib is no excuse, he was already losing, it just continued after.

Whether Silva adjusts to this in the coming fight is up for debate, I won't call a winner one way or the other, could be a Sonnen decision, could be a Silva TKO/sub, could be a Silva decision, Sonnen could get him in a position against the cage on the ground where the ref stops it because it's too difficult for Anderson to defend, it's going to be very interesting seeing how this plays out.
M.C is offline  
post #88 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 PM
official thrash metal connoisseur
 
hellholming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,248
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
Probably because Sonnen isn't a great striker, nore did I ever claim him to be.

Anderson's great striking comes from being able to have the time and pace to set up his strikes and learn the rhythm of the fight. Every single fighter he has fought as champion have always let him settle in and get his pacing down, and they all eventually paid for it.

If you take away his timing (the single most important part of his striking) he is not nearly as dangerous. Sonnen knows that, hell, everyone on this forum knows that - we all know Silva takes time and settles in for a few minutes before going at it, he has to get that timing down, without his timing and ability to strike at his distance and his pacing, he would not be nearly as dangerous.

Sonnen got in his face and punched him, kicked him, got at him from 1 second into the fight, Sonnen was beating him and pushing him striking before his rib ever even thought about getting hurt. His rib is no excuse, he was already losing, it just continued after.

Whether Silva adjusts to this in the coming fight is up for debate, I won't call a winner one way or the other, could be a Sonnen decision, could be a Silva TKO/sub, could be a Silva decision, Sonnen could get him in a position against the cage on the ground where the ref stops it because it's too difficult for Anderson to defend, it's going to be very interesting seeing how this plays out.
alright, sir! thanks for clearing that up.


personally I'm kinda hoping for a Sonnen victory to shake up the division.


Fedor, Mir, Lytle, Serra, Hendo, Chuck, Minowaman, Maynard, Forrest, Hunt
Pickett, Cerrone, Matt Brown, Bisping, Weidman, Barnett, Lawler

hellholming is offline  
post #89 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 9,923
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellholming View Post
then why hasn't Chael's striking looked as good since that fight? I mean, not even close.
He looked good standing against Stann for the short time it was standing. He did look horrible against Bisping though. But that was horrible all around, even his double leg didn't look that good. Who knows styles make fights maybe Bisping's style of striking was just hard for Sonnen to adapt to at the last second. He did just get out of a camp for Mark Munoz, where he probably worked mostly avoiding big bombs, going in and out and counter wrestling to fighting Bisping who is a volume striker that throws more technical shots and combos.

Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline  
post #90 of 129 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Gone Fishing
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gods country
Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellholming View Post
where was Sonnen's great striking against Bisping?

I think the success Sonnen was having in the striking department in the first fight is more due to Anderson's rib injury than his own technique.

I mean, have you ever seen Anderson look that slow before? or after?
Bisping fought the fight of his life that night and Sonnen looked terrible. Supposedly he had a bad weight cut which could have attributed to his less then stellar showing but who knows.

I was nervous when they read the decision because Mike looked terrific tbh. Wouldn't have been surprised if they had gave him the win. Kudos to the Count.

As far as a rub injury, gtfo. Fighters rarely come in at %100 and the only difference was Sonnen managed to touch the tender spot more than a few times early in the fight.
Rusty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome