Chael: The knee really hurt. - Page 16 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
SpoKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 4,601
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
I have no clue how you concluded something like this.

A Police Officer pinches my wife's butt. I'll tell in court I am responsible for his black eye. We are always responsible for our actions, being triggered by others or not.
Exactly, you gotta take the punishment, right?

Anderson takes no punishment at all. And I think that altered the fight enough to be worthy of a fine or whatever small infraction thing they get for cheating their way to a victory inside the cage, and outside for his shoulder strike.

You could tell it hurt Chael's jaw, and technically that's assault.

I don't think it's all that serious, but I don't think he should get away with it and get nothing in return.


Sweet sig by Life B EZ


I feel like I get paid way to much money, but not enough -Nick Diaz
SpoKen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Ultra-weight
 
Sportsman 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,029
                     
Cīmon, ppl. Itīs just weird to suggest that the turning point of the fight was the shorts grabbing thing after Chael did zero during the first round even when in the most dominant position in MMA (Full Mount).

The real turning point of the fight was the unbelievable ability of Anderson to knock down Sonnen without even touching him. Thatīs right. The invisible trip. Sonnen is probably the best wrestler in MMA today. Even his fans were caught by surprise by that spinning elbow he attempted. Sonnen was absolutely sure Anderson would never imagine he would try something like that so he went full force. He was right on betting on that, that was actually really smart. However, there are, so far, no stealth intentions to go undetected by the Spider super-radar.

Last edited by Sportsman 2.0; 07-14-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sportsman 2.0 is online now  
post #153 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Ultra-weight
 
Sportsman 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,029
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoKen View Post

You could tell it hurt Chael's jaw, and technically that's assault.

I don't think it's all that serious, but I don't think he should get away with it and get nothing in return.
I agree with you here. I did not appreciate that at all. I can clearly see where that came from, but he should have been at least fined for not holding his anger.

I believe UFC felt it would be tricky before the public to punish Anderson considering they never asked Sonnen to moderate his attacks or condemn them in public. Dana had some pressure about that in some conferences, but he always dodged the issue: "Well, thatīs Chael...Well, you know Chael..."

However, in the cage, about the shorts, I did not appreciate that either, but since thereīs no yellow card in UFC, like in soccer, he was called attention and stopped, otherwise it would be a yellow card only. No big deal at all.

Last edited by Sportsman 2.0; 07-14-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Add Stuff
Sportsman 2.0 is online now  
post #154 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 3,916
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
The real turning point of the fight was the unbelievable ability of Anderson to knock down Sonnen without even touching him. Thatīs right. The invisible trip. Sonnen is probably the best wrestler in MMA today. Even his fans were caught by surprise by that spinning elbow he attempted. Sonnen was absolutely sure Anderson would never imagine he would try something like that so he went full force. He was right on betting on that, that was actually really smart. However, there are, so far, no stealth intentions to go undetected by the Spider super-radar.



Just had to copy SigFig's signature picture that somehow fits the case:



which led to:


and finally:

Voiceless is offline  
post #155 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 351
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoKen View Post
All the time? Name one fight where a fighter held someones shorts for 20 straight seconds. Hell, 10 straight seconds even. I'm sure 10 seconds has been done once.. maybe. But name one. Name 3 if it happens all the time.
You got me, I can't name a fight where a fighter held the opponents shorts for 20 straight seconds. Unfortunately for you, that includes Silva vs Sonnen II
StandThemUp is offline  
post #156 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
SpoKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 4,601
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandThemUp View Post
You got me, I can't name a fight where a fighter held the opponents shorts for 20 straight seconds. Unfortunately for you, that includes Silva vs Sonnen II
If you want to be technical, 18 seconds. Go ahead and count it, I already saw it several times.


Sweet sig by Life B EZ


I feel like I get paid way to much money, but not enough -Nick Diaz
SpoKen is offline  
post #157 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 531
                     
Andersson Silva IMO threw a reckless knee strike in his fight vs Sonnen. While his kneecap hit Sonnens torso, his thigh smashed into Sonnens face. Was this expected or can we really believe he did that technique without seeing it would likely make contact with sonnens face?

I was wondering, is kneeing opponent with thigh in face legal ? Is this technique possible to do without hitting opponents face?

If it is legit, will we see others use this technique?
What happens if someone hits the face using this technique can one just say it was unintentional?
When Jon Bones Jones threw downward elbows to the eye sockets on Matt Hamill it led to rule changes that downward elbows to the face was no longer legit. I see this Silva situation as similar.

My opinion is that Andersson Silva knew it was a gray zone opportunity when he threw that knee.
Gustafsson Fan is offline  
post #158 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Shogun
 
mmaswe82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,037
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson Fan View Post
Andersson Silva IMO threw a reckless knee strike in his fight vs Sonnen. While his kneecap hit Sonnens torso, his thigh smashed into Sonnens face. Was this expected or can we really believe he did that technique without seeing it would likely make contact with sonnens face?

I was wondering, is kneeing opponent with thigh in face legal ? Is this technique possible to do without hitting opponents face?

If it is legit, will we see others use this technique?
What happens if someone hits the face using this technique can one just say it was unintentional?
When Jon Bones Jones threw downward elbows to the eye sockets on Matt Hamill it led to rule changes that downward elbows to the face was no longer legit. I see this Silva situation as similar.

My opinion is that Andersson Silva knew it was a gray zone opportunity when he threw that knee.
They where illegal before he did it.

Regarding kness to the body, they have been done before & they are perfectly legal. Hitting the face with some soft part of the body on certain occasions is really hard to get around & IMO shouldn't matter since it doesn't do damage.
I seriously doubt there will be any changes to the rules regarding this.

mmaswe82 is offline  
post #159 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 AM
 
K R Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wales, Boyo!
Posts: 10,706
                     
I can't believe people are STILL going on about the knee. Nothing about it was illegal. It hit directly in the chest. He aimed it there. It landed there. The ref looked, and didn't intervene. It was deemed legal by Rogan after watching a replay. Dana White said it was 100% legal. CHAEL said it was legal.
K R Y is offline  
post #160 of 213 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 AM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,464
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by K R Y View Post
I can't believe people are STILL going on about the knee. Nothing about it was illegal. It hit directly in the chest. He aimed it there. It landed there. The ref looked, and didn't intervene. It was deemed legal by Rogan after watching a replay. Dana White said it was 100% legal. CHAEL said it was legal.
I dunno bro. Ive been saying the exact same thing, but the gif that was posted:-



Whoever did the gif paused it at the point of impact. Reluctantly, I have to concede the top of the knee does hit Sonnen in the face first. The knee then drops down to the chest. It all happens so quickly in realtime.

Damn it. I was convinced it was legit.


EDIT
Thinking about it, if Silva was trying to hit Sonnen in the face, what was he thinking? Would he really throw away the belt just so he can make Sonnen eat his own teeth for real? If so... then I'm impressed.
Soojooko is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome