***OFFICIAL*** Ben Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar II Thread - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Your prediction
Ben Henderson (C) 30 57.69%
Frankie Edgar 22 42.31%
Draw 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Edgar is not a soft puncher you don't understand boxing if you think that. Jake Shields is a soft puncher; Edgar is a solid puncher he delivers sharp accurate blows that will often stun his opponent. A good MMA comparison would be Martin Kampmann.

His cross is especially good and takes a lot of his opponents striking power away. Usually halfway through the second he will start planting when he throws his cross and straight which takes the strength out of his opponents legs. This is one of the reasons why he doesn't get hurt past the midway point of the fight usually. His opponents don't slow down just because of the pace but because of the number and sharpness of strikes he lands on them.
osmium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Featherweight
 
dsmjrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: manhattan beach, CA
Posts: 1,019
                     
Edgar does hit hard, very hard for his size and harder than bendo that's for sure... I can't really see edgar being finished here, however edgar does have the ability to tko bendo .. its a pretty far off chance that bendo would be able to sub or tko Frankie, he simply doesn't have heavy hands and is not as accurate... and in their last fight Frankie was ragdolling bendo everytime he tried for a takedown..

What wont bendo the fight was his kicks and his balance



Sent from my MB860 using VerticalSports.Com App

Head-butting fists and KOing the air is not effective striking.
dsmjrv is offline  
post #23 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Frankie doesn't hit very hard at all. If he was a heavy hitter, he'd rock his opponents much more frequently and have much more KO/TKO finishes. He barely has any finishes by way of TKO stoppage. He's simply not a heavy handed fighter, and the facts and statistics support this.

Bendo isn't much of a heavy puncher either, but his kicks pack a tonne of power.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #24 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
Frankie doesn't hit very hard at all. If he was a heavy hitter, he'd rock his opponents much more frequently and have much more KO/TKO finishes. He barely has any finishes by way of TKO stoppage. He's simply not a heavy handed fighter, and the facts and statistics support this.

Bendo isn't much of a heavy puncher either, but his kicks pack a tonne of power.
There is a pretty big gap between having heavy hands and having pillow hands. His punches hurt and stun his opponents he just isn't likely to get a flash KO unless they have a mediocre chin. Your "stats" are fraudulent also he didn't even really start being mainly a boxer until the Sherk fight and didn't start sitting down on his punches until the second Penn fight. Penn just doesn't get dropped his chin is legendary, he TKOed Gray with punches, and he dropped Bendo with punches.

Your opinion isn't supported by the actual facts I just laid out and isn't based on specific patterns you can site from his recent fights; it is just confirmation bias. Soft punches don't make your opponents head whip back and their legs stop and Frankie repeatedly achieves that.
osmium is offline  
post #25 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium View Post
There is a pretty big gap between having heavy hands and having pillow hands. His punches hurt and stun his opponents he just isn't likely to get a flash KO unless they have a mediocre chin. Your "stats" are fraudulent also he didn't even really start being mainly a boxer until the Sherk fight and didn't start sitting down on his punches until the second Penn fight. Penn just doesn't get dropped his chin is legendary, he TKOed Gray with punches, and he dropped Bendo with punches.

Your opinion isn't supported by the actual facts I just laid out and isn't based on specific patterns you can site from his recent fights; it is just confirmation bias. Soft punches don't make your opponents head whip back and their legs stop and Frankie repeatedly achieves that.
A punch is a punch. Any punch thrown is going to have some negative effect on the person receiving it. Frankie doesn't frequently stun or drop his opponents. His hands may not be soft as I described them earlier, but they certainly don't pack much oomph either.

The post I was responding to also said that Frankie hits very hard, which, he does not. Also Frankie didn't drop Bendo, it was a slip. Carefully watch that moment back again.

He started boxing in his war with Tyson Griffin. He's been pretty much the same stylistic fighter he was all the way back then, but of course, he's become much more proficient in his style over the years. Since his UFC debut against Tyson he has liked to box and mix things up with his take downs.

When he starts dropping fighters on a more frequent basis, then I'll start to worry about his punching power, but as of right now, it isn't really a great danger to Bendo or many other fighters.

I'll take Bendos heavy variety of kicks and his ruthless ground and pound and crafty sub game over Frankies in and out 1-2 boxing combinations and quick take downs.

Edit: I believe it was in the Bendo fight when Frankies corner in between rounds were instructing Frankie to get in there and "score points" by moving in and out.

Last edited by GrappleRetarded; 08-09-2012 at 02:12 PM.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #26 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
A punch is a punch. Any punch thrown is going to have some negative effect on the person receiving it. Frankie doesn't frequently stun or drop his opponents. His hands may not be soft as I described them earlier, but they certainly don't pack much oomph either.

The post I was responding to also said that Frankie hits very hard, which, he does not. Also Frankie didn't drop Bendo, it was a slip. Carefully watch that moment back again.

He started boxing in his war with Tyson Griffin. He's been pretty much the same stylistic fighter he was all the way back then, but of course, he's become much more proficient in his style over the years. Since his UFC debut against Tyson he has liked to box and mix things up with his take downs.

When he starts dropping fighters on a more frequent basis, then I'll start to worry about his punching power, but as of right now, it isn't really a great danger to Bendo or many other fighters.

I'll take Bendos heavy variety of kicks and his ruthless ground and pound and crafty sub game over Frankies in and out 1-2 boxing combinations and quick take downs.

Edit: I believe it was in the Bendo fight when Frankies corner in between rounds were instructing Frankie to get in there and "score points" by moving in and out.
Well obviously you want to score points to win rounds. What would you have them tell him? Go wing a bunch of overhands like Leonard Garcia. He does stun guys repeatedly in fights. Bendo's body kicks didn't seem to effect him at all so I don't see how you are claiming those are so powerful and damaging and what Frankie did wasn't. If those were the death kicks you are presenting them as then all of Frankie's ribs would have been broken and he would have drowned to death in his own blood with the number of them he took. How many guys has Bendo dropped with body kicks? Again, confirmation bias not a legitimate breakdown.
osmium is offline  
post #27 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Featherweight
 
boatoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,330
                     
I like them both, i'd normally be happy with a good competitive fight, but will probably make a small wager closer to it, and will be happy with a dominating performance haha...for the jesus man Bendo!

Frankie usually tunes guys up when I bet against him...we'll see if this holds true.
boatoar is offline  
post #28 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Amateur
 
Zafersan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 134
                     
I hope Bendo wins the rematch just to shut Frankie up. I'm tired of seeing Frankie whine and whine about how he should have won. After this fight, Frankie will be knocked to the bottom of the ladder so maybe he can think twice about actually trying to finish a fighter instead of trying to win on points.

Bendo will make Frankie look like an amateur.
Zafersan is offline  
post #29 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Lightweight
 
The Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East London, England
Posts: 1,912
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafersan View Post
I hope Bendo wins the rematch just to shut Frankie up. I'm tired of seeing Frankie whine and whine about how he should have won. After this fight, Frankie will be knocked to the bottom of the ladder so maybe he can think twice about actually trying to finish a fighter instead of trying to win on points.

Bendo will make Frankie look like an amateur.
Whoak steady on there mate. Frankie (and a lot of other people) felt that he did enough to win the first time round. I just about scored it for Bendo myself, but it was pretty much as close a fight as you could expect and there is no clear cut winner going into this rematch. Given Edgar's track record, he owns when it comes to rematch and learns very fast. I don't think he was well prepared for Bendo's kicks, but hopefully Phil Nurse has been working on that with him. Edgar via uanimous decision, but I would't be surprised if Bendo's size and aggression earned him another close decision nod.

Why Do We Fall?
The Dark Knight is offline  
post #30 of 332 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Bantamweight
 
Shoegazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 806
                     
I've always been sorta surprised by how many people thought Frankie won that first fight, so I just watched it again. It was much closer than I remember, but what sticks out to me, is that Edgar did not hurt Benson at all. Period. Yeah, yeah...there was that weird "knockdown" in rd 5. That didn't hurt Benson. Not a mark on him. At the end of the fight, he looked like he hadn't even fought yet. Conversely, Frankie was getting busted up, eating really hard kicks to the body, etc. I won't argue the fact that Frankie is a better boxer and landed more strikes. But I'll argue all day that Henderson was a far more effective striker and the damage he caused was superior to the number of strikes Frankie landed. On MY scorecard anyway...

I think there's a lot to the argument that Edgar always comes back superior in the rematch, but I just don't see it here. Henderson is too big, too athletic, and too powerful to be in any danger from Frankie. I know we said some of that about Gray as well, but Gray can't move like Henderson. I'll take Bendo by decision every time against Edgar.
Shoegazer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome