Jake Shields - Why are you so boring? - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
edlavis88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: A pom living in Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 4,284
                     
The thing that is most annoying is Jake knows he can clinch and out work 90% of his opponents and he knows he has a rock solid chin. So surely that means he should have the confidence to work for a finish on the ground.
He used to be more agressive in Elite XC and STRIKEFORCE I think like lots of other fighters who have been been around the block he is so desperate to stay in the UFC he wont take any risks.

edlavis88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Lightweight
 
BrutalKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,999
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killstarz View Post
For the amount of hype he had coming into the UFC, with the exception of GSP, He should have finished everyone of those flights.

It doesn't help with Rogan constantly telling us how jake shields is the most amazing fighter ever on the ground etc
...True. Shields has and always be a submission fighter. That's his bread & butter. His stand-up isn't exciting, it's effective enough to keep opponents at bay while he tries to get his hands on you. Jake is hard to finish but he has a predictable gameplan for fighters to know " Hey, don't let Jake get his hands on you or drag you to the ground". Jake may not be that exciting but he's always a threat to any fighter because of his top level submission game...
BrutalKO is offline  
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Welterweight
 
Calibretto9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,218
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem0x7 View Post
Dude I love grappling, but if that's the only thing you are good at then at lease do something exciting and attempt to finish the fight.

Guys like Joe Lauzon are guys I can appreciate, someone well rounded who has decent hands who can start the fight off standing and still make it a fight, and then once it hits the ground he's no slouch, he jumps on submissions right away and always finds a way to finish.
The fact of the matter is that just like with standup fighters grapplers have styles. Often those styles are determined by their instructor, their athletic ability and their predisposition towards certain moves. It's like wishing a boxer got more knockouts - the boxer probably wishes the same thing but it doesn't match his style. Certain grapplers are going to land more submissions based on their style, plain and simple. Shields could go for more but we might find that doing so kind of unravels his game.

I'm not saying he's not boring, but I do understand the why. Personally, I think he's a nightmare to face. A guy with a tough chin who's going to inevitably get you down and hold you there. That would just suck.
Calibretto9 is offline  
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Ultra-weight
 
Joabbuac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,383
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killstarz View Post
For the amount of hype he had coming into the UFC, with the exception of GSP, He should have finished everyone of those flights.

It doesn't help with Rogan constantly telling us how jake shields is the most amazing fighter ever on the ground etc
The Hype was understandible after the Henderson beatdown - he should of never gone too welterweigh, a flat fight there against Herman is not a huge thing taken out of context, its just coming off a bunch of other bad performances. Hopefully we see him at his best at some point.

Joabbuac is offline  
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,413
                     
Shields is getting a lot of shit for this fight, but I'd like to point out that he had Herman's back in the first, with both hooks in, and Herman simply used the fence to pull himself up.

I think fence grabs should be legal, I believe the only rules that should exist in the octagon are ones that prevent major injuries and long-term damage, but right now fence grabs are illegal. And Herman probably saved himself from an early submission with an illegal defense.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Bantamweight
 
H33LHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Where it's cold- very cold.
Posts: 691
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joabbuac View Post
The Hype was understandible after the Henderson beatdown - he should of never gone too welterweigh, a flat fight there against Herman is not a huge thing taken out of context, its just coming off a bunch of other bad performances. Hopefully we see him at his best at some point.
As has been discussed in other threads, this could be the key; Jake (IMO) has never looked particularly strong at WW- his grappling hasn't looked good, and he's looked tired a lot of the time.
I don't think that he should have been fighting at WW in the UFC, but he was brought over in an apparent bid to present a challenge to GSP in what then was a cleaned-out WW division.

That didn't work out for anyone.

I want to see what a strong, non-depleted Jake Shields brings to the UFC at MW, and while I'm obviously not convinced that he'll be a world-beater at this weight, the end-product has to be better than what we've seen out of him thus far in the octagon.

.

Last edited by H33LHooK; 08-15-2012 at 11:34 AM.
H33LHooK is offline  
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 42
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlavis88 View Post
The thing that is most annoying is Jake knows he can clinch and out work 90% of his opponents and he knows he has a rock solid chin. So surely that means he should have the confidence to work for a finish on the ground.
He used to be more agressive in Elite XC and STRIKEFORCE I think like lots of other fighters who have been been around the block he is so desperate to stay in the UFC he wont take any risks.
I think this is a really good point, do you think because of Dana's three strike policy it makes fighters more cautious? Especially as Shields was 1-2 in his last three fights before going into the Herman bout he was maybe playing it ultra-safe to get a 2nd win in a row under his belt. Hopefully now with him being on a two fight win streak(if you can call it that) and being at his more comfortable middleweight we'll get to see the best of Jake.
Westie is offline  
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 315
                     
jake only guys for the safest submission possible, anything that allows him to maintain control, that is what makes him boring. he has a great control game but beyond that there's not much there. it makes you wonder what would happen if he ever got a shot at silva or the top of the division
usernamewoman is offline  
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM
The Fun Police
 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 11,373
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamewoman View Post
jake only guys for the safest submission possible, anything that allows him to maintain control, that is what makes him boring. he has a great control game but beyond that there's not much there. it makes you wonder what would happen if he ever got a shot at silva or the top of the division
He got a shot at GSP... It was one of the most boring fights I've ever seen.
Killz is offline  
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Welterweight
 
amoosenamedhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,215
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by H33LHooK View Post
As has been discussed in other threads, this could be the key; Jake (IMO) has never looked particularly strong at WW- his grappling hasn't looked good, and he's looked tired a lot of the time.
I don't think that he should have been fighting at WW in the UFC, but he was brought over in an apparent bid to present a challenge to GSP in what then was a cleaned-out WW division.

That didn't work out for anyone.

I want to see what a strong, non-depleted Jake Shields brings to the UFC at MW, and while I'm obviously not convinced that he'll be a world-beater at this weight, the end-product has to be better than what we've seen out of him thus far in the octagon.

.
You see and I'm just the opposite on this thought. Maybe Jake's body doesn't cut weight well... so he's more energized at MW; that's fine. However, he's going to be very under sized. Especially against people like Sonnen, Weidman, Munoz.... I even think Bisping would have the TDD and striking to dispatch this guy.

Ellenberger laid out the perfect solution for shields.

PS: if you google search 'jake shields'... "jake shields gay" is the second thing that pops up in the window. lulz

Last edited by amoosenamedhank; 08-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.
amoosenamedhank is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome