Jon Jones: “I feel terrible, but it also wasn’t my decision to cancel the whole card - Page 6 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,615
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsepoweR View Post
Bones was in fight shape, Sonnen is not, Jones should have taken the easy payday and smashed Sonnen's face into the mat, especially with all the shit talking they are doing with each other on twitter. But Bones is so scared to lose.. Stop being a princess Bones. Man up and take the fight because well, you are a fighter.
Exactly. I really don't get it. After Hendos knee exploded and he dropped out, if somebody had asked me if I thought Bones would accept a fight with Sonnen instead, I would have thought he would have grabbed it. A chance to squash the fecker who's been slandering him. A relatively easy fight and a fat pay check.
Soojooko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,042
                     
I don't like Jones. I think declining Sonnen was stupid. But I can't hate him for doing what he thinks is best.

But I can hate him for not being a true MMA fighter and more of a modern business fighter. I have gotten into this sport because of guys like Big Nog, Bj Penn, Chuck, Wandy, Shogun, Randy. Modern times Anderson, Joe Lauzon brings it vs. anyone, JDS, Frankie.

Just a handful of years ago guys fought elite competition twice in 1 night.

Looks like Jones is one of the first to care more about the money and fame more than the essence of fighting. Guys like Randy, Penn, Chuck, Big Nog were never afraid to lose a fight. It isn't about their record at the end of the day. It is about fighting and taking on anyone and doing what you love.

Jon Jones isn't like any of those fighters I mentioned. He is damn good. But the spirit of fighting isn't in him. Money, Fame, and having a belt so more people notice him are his main concerns.
jonnyg4508 is online now  
post #53 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Ultra-weight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Posts: 6,211
                     
Wow I didn't realize how many of our posters train at team quest with Henderson and Sonnen!

Can someone get me Dan's autograph?

How do we know chael is so far out of fight shape? He was helping Dan train and who knows how long or how hard he's been helping Dan. I wonder how long dans been hiding the injury, at least two weeks which is nothing but what if he's been sitting on this for a month. I'm sure it would still be all Jones fault so all the whiners have something to bitch about.

To be clear I think Jones should have took the fight but I'm not angry or going to be childish about it. So many MMA fans have no perspective and act so entitled.

sakurabushidokan.homestead.com
slapshot is offline  
post #54 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,328
                     
Exactly. People need to get a clue and at least wonder why Chael suddenly and randomly started calling out Bones just a month ago out of nowhere.

Yeah he was totally unprepared and out of shape
Liddellianenko is offline  
post #55 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,615
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Exactly. People need to get a clue and at least wonder why Chael suddenly and randomly started calling out Bones just a month ago out of nowhere.

Yeah he was totally unprepared and out of shape
We are not all assuming Chael was out of shape. Hell, he could be in great shape. But he hasn't had a training camp preparing for Bones same way Bones hasn't been preparing for him. As prepared as Sonnen might be, he cant possibly be in better fight shape then Jones.

I just cant believe Sonnen could possibly win the fight, even with a full training camp let alone without. Which kind of implies Jones turned him down on principle... which more annoying then anything else. It would have been awesome seeing Sonnen lose again.
Soojooko is offline  
post #56 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 669
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
If I offered you a coin flip, with A MILLION DOLLARS if you win, FOR FREE without putting anything up as a bet, would you refuse it? Would you say, naaah I don't wanna risk losing that coin flip that I bet nothing for, keep your million bucks?
Bit different as anyone would do the coin flip but in Chaels case, it's his career. Who wants 3 unsuccessful title fights on their record? Kinda hard to promote a guy like that.
Harness is offline  
post #57 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 AM
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,328
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
We are not all assuming Chael was out of shape. Hell, he could be in great shape. But he hasn't had a training camp preparing for Bones same way Bones hasn't been preparing for him. As prepared as Sonnen might be, he cant possibly be in better fight shape then Jones.

I just cant believe Sonnen could possibly win the fight, even with a full training camp let alone without. Which kind of implies Jones turned him down on principle... which more annoying then anything else. It would have been awesome seeing Sonnen lose again.
I was implying Sonnen knew of the injury sooner, being buddies with Dan, and WAS training specifically for Jones right before he started calling him out on twitter, whereas Jones had no such warning or specific training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harness View Post
Bit different as anyone would do the coin flip but in Chaels case, it's his career. Who wants 3 unsuccessful title fights on their record? Kinda hard to promote a guy like that.
Chael himself stated he wasn't interested in fighting any more if it wasn't for the title and was considering retirement after the Anderson loss. i.e. He no longer cared about his record, just the belt.

It's not like he has such a stellar record anyway with double digit losses. I really doubt a loss to Bones, who has destroyed legends, would hurt his record any more, especially when fighting as a MW "on short notice".
Liddellianenko is offline  
post #58 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,615
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
I was implying Sonnen knew of the injury sooner, being buddies with Dan, and WAS training specifically for Jones right before he started calling him out on twitter, whereas Jones had no such warning or specific training.
Ok. So even under these circumstances ( assuming you are right ) do you actually give Sonnen a chance?

Forgetting our differences for a moment and Danas OTT reaction, surely you must be a little disappointed that Bones didn't accept?
Soojooko is offline  
post #59 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,042
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Exactly. People need to get a clue and at least wonder why Chael suddenly and randomly started calling out Bones just a month ago out of nowhere.

Yeah he was totally unprepared and out of shape
What is the difference?

Who cares if he was in decent shape? He wasn't in real fight shape. Guys have such strict training camps where they try to peek at fight night. I don't care if Sonnen was in "shape" he was not ready for a fight. Not like elite UFC fighters normally are. Jones WAS. Jones is a whole weight class more....actually the biggest guy in the next weight class.

And like Chael said. If he took the fight Chael would have had like 3 days to do anything more, not 8. Chael would be doing more press and travel than actual training for the fight.

So what you are saying is because Chale could have been in OK shape that Jones shoudln't take the fight? Is he that scared?

Times like these is when I miss old MMA. It wasn't about protecting your nike deals. It was actually about you know....fighting. And the fans.
jonnyg4508 is online now  
post #60 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,328
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
Ok. So even under these circumstances ( assuming you are right ) do you actually give Sonnen a chance?

Forgetting our differences for a moment and Danas OTT reaction, surely you must be a little disappointed that Bones didn't accept?
I would. Not a big one, but that's his ONLY chance. Catching an unprepared Jones without the ingrained reflexes from the last few months to defend a blazing double leg. While Sonnen has been training all month, specifically on how to counter Jones and his reach.

I am disappointed I didn't get to see Dan vs Bones. I am not the least bit disappointed about not seeing Bones vs Chael. This guy needs to stop getting rewarded for his cheap tactics and tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
What is the difference?

Who cares if he was in decent shape? He wasn't in real fight shape. Guys have such strict training camps where they try to peek at fight night. I don't care if Sonnen was in "shape" he was not ready for a fight. Not like elite UFC fighters normally are. Jones WAS. Jones is a whole weight class more....actually the biggest guy in the next weight class.

And like Chael said. If he took the fight Chael would have had like 3 days to do anything more, not 8. Chael would be doing more press and travel than actual training for the fight.

So what you are saying is because Chale could have been in OK shape that Jones shoudln't take the fight? Is he that scared?

Times like these is when I miss old MMA. It wasn't about protecting your nike deals. It was actually about you know....fighting. And the fans.
Read above. I'm implying a conspiracy of sorts, Chael knowing about the injury beforehand and having almost a full Bones specific training camp. Hence the sudden twitter callouts.
Liddellianenko is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome