Ranking System? Time to Reform UFC!
So in light of all the shenanigans surrounding ufc 151, I've been thinking about organizing a set of rules to determine a more linear ranking system which would determine who gets to fight (instead of the UFC). Now I've got a bunch of ideas but would love to hear what others think it should (assuming you support a ranking system), so let's keep the discussion civil and put out a constructive thread (i.e if you're gonna disagree with someone say why and offer a solution instead of the typical "it's retarded").
That said here's some things I'd like to see:
1. Champion is not allowed to decline vs his contender.
2. Belt is NOT on the line if #1 contender gets injured within short notice of event (let's say 30 days).
3. Contender gets his ranking point adjusted to #1 contender if he somehow wins the match vs the champ on short notice. (this way people get the auto re-match to see if it was a fluke, a belt should be earned not won on a gimmick).
4. Point breakdown:
a. Champion has no point value as he's the champ. If a champ loses his belt, their point goes to the middle of the pack (w/e point value that is).
b. Losses suffer no point loss.
c. If a fighter fails to make weight they will not gain any points.
d. Decision victory is worth 1 point.
e. Split decision is worth 0.5 point.
f. A KO/TKO/Sub finish is worth 2 points (so to encourage aggressive fighting).
5. #1 contender fights the champion, if injured #2 steps up and so forth. If a contender gets injured 30 day before the title fight, the UFC should give the opportunity for all the fighters (starting with #2 and downwards) to step up for #1 contendership vs the belt. They won't win the belt but they'll get their points raised to #1 contender should they win the fight (get paid the title money) and get relegated back to their original rank if they lose.
6. Reduce the # of PPV show per year, so there's a greater stock of talent available to supply the freak injuries and make better overall quality cards.
7. The champ must defend the title at a minimum of 2 times per year (preferably 3). If they fail to do so due to a long term injury (GSP), they get an automatic fight with the #1 contender (not the current interim champ). The former champ gets 1 more point above the #1 contender on a win and goes back to the middle of the pack if they lose.
So it's not a perfect system by any means, but I'm getting tired of the whole marketing theme of "oh this fight is boring or exciting". If the UFC's goal is to really become a legit sports league on par with the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL then it needs to establish some sort of ranking system. Seeing WWE level drama on who gets to fight who and having this circus is quite frankly unprofessional.
Just brainstorming so far... anything else you guys can think of?