New rule to insure we dont have the JBJ situation happen again - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,444
                     
Rule #1: The UFC doesn't try to sell any more cards with just one worthwhile fight on them. If the co-main event can't be moved up it wasn't good enough to be a co-main in the first place.

Rule #2: Both main and co-main event have a replacement fighter assigned beforehand in case of injury. It would be that fighter's responsibility to be prepared to take the fight at a moment's notice, and the responsibility of the two fighters scheduled to appear on the card to be prepared for that fighter, as well as each other.*
Addendum #1: Backup fighters get paid enough to cover their expenses even if they don't end up fighting, and whenever possible should be juggled into the lineup of upcoming cards so their camp isn't wasted.

Addendum #2: For cards in which both main and co-main event are fought at the same weight class, one replacement fighter should be enough. (In freak situation in which two of the four fighters are injured at the least minute, the Co-main can be rescheduled. This should be ridiculously rare anyway.)
*I've been considering this since the recent clusterf***s at UFC 147 and 149, but those went on despite the ravaged lineups, so it seemed excessive. But once the UFC starts cancelling cards it seems it's time to start implementing contingency plans.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 100
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by music5x5 View Post
I think the new UFC contracts should be strongly tied to the date instead of a particular opponent. If a fighter is healthy but unwilling to fight on the agreed date (regardless of opponent), he will be fined or suspended.

This will make fighters not only prepare for a particular opponent as usual but also prepare to fight any opponent on the agreed date.
The bad thing about that is what if lets say a fighter is preparing for a striker with no takedown skills then ends up with a wrestler who only lays and grinds the fight out? The fighter goes in not ready for that type of fight. In my eyes these fighters do a lot more then just train their own skills, they watch and study who they are fighting and try to find their weaknes and work on exposing that. MMA isnt about who has the best skills anymore its who has the right skills and the right gameplans and the right mix of the two. Jon Jones isnt the most skilled fighter in MMA but he does use his skills and tools(reach)the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Nerd View Post
Rule #1: The UFC doesn't try to sell any more cards with just one worthwhile fight on them. If the co-main event can't be moved up it wasn't good enough to be a co-main in the first place.

Rule #2: Both main and co-main event have a replacement fighter assigned beforehand in case of injury. It would be that fighter's responsibility to be prepared to take the fight at a moment's notice, and the responsibility of the two fighters scheduled to appear on the card to be prepared for that fighter, as well as each other.*
Addendum #1: Backup fighters get paid enough to cover their expenses even if they don't end up fighting, and whenever possible should be juggled into the lineup of upcoming cards so their camp isn't wasted.

Addendum #2: For cards in which both main and co-main event are fought at the same weight class, one replacement fighter should be enough. (In freak situation in which two of the four fighters are injured at the least minute, the Co-main can be rescheduled. This should be ridiculously rare anyway.)
*I've been considering this since the recent clusterf***s at UFC 147 and 149, but those went on despite the ravaged lineups, so it seemed excessive. But once the UFC starts cancelling cards it seems it's time to start implementing contingency plans.
Like I said before. What if say contender B has a different style then contender A does the Champ train for both fighters style while both contenders only train for the champ style.

MMA and sports is more then who is the best fighter/ athletes its who is who can put all the right tools together.
jooshwa is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:47 AM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,444
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jooshwa View Post
The bad thing about that is what if lets say a fighter is preparing for a striker with no takedown skills then ends up with a wrestler who only lays and grinds the fight out? The fighter goes in not ready for that type of fight. In my eyes these fighters do a lot more then just train their own skills, they watch and study who they are fighting and try to find their weaknes and work on exposing that. MMA isnt about who has the best skills anymore its who has the right skills and the right gameplans and the right mix of the two. Jon Jones isnt the most skilled fighter in MMA but he does use his skills and tools(reach)the best.
I agree with this, but on the other hand the fighters can't always have it their way. The sport wouldn't exist if not for the fans, and you can't just cancel or castrate cards on them whenever a fighter gets injured.

As for Jones, people tend to significantly underrate his skills just because he has long arms and legs. I'd put his MT somewhere in the top 15% in the UFC, and his wrestling easily in the top 1%. It's hard to call his submission grappling skills because he tends to submit opponents who have already been wrecked, but Rampage for example hadn't been submitted in over a decade and Jones slapped a flying triangle on him late in the 3rd. That's high level stuff.

Quote:
Like I said before. What if say contender B has a different style then contender A does the Champ train for both fighters style while both contenders only train for the champ style.

MMA and sports is more then who is the best fighter/ athletes its who is who can put all the right tools together.
Then the champ has to suck it up, watch twice as much tape, and work on his complete game. Like I said, fans.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 AM
The 45%
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 15,025
Blog Entries: 2
                     
*Plays Checkers*

ClydebankBlitz is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Lightweight
 
The Best Around's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,502
                     
No rules are needed; this was such an oddball occurrence. Just have a respectable card (at least on paper) that can move on if someone gets hurt (like the one with Rampage/Hammill and Mir/Nelson).


Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

The Best Around is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,158
                     
I like the co main event that is good enough to be a main event idea. Making a fighter fight someone completely different from who he has been training for is foolish IMO. then all the tape and focus placed on combating a certain style for the past eight weeks changes completely and becomes a hinderance instead. Would it be impressive to see a fighter that can take on anyone at anytime? yes. But as MMA progresses and the fighters gain more and more skill it is just not smart to fight random people just because some people want to see your blood instead of see a good fight.

The505Butcher is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome