One of my heroes defends Jon Jones - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 PM
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,272
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwizzy2k5 View Post
It's funny how when Pat Miletich says this people starting applauding him. I've been saying that exact thing since day 1 and anybody who is a freethinker and doesn't buy into Dana White's narrative like a sheep can see that the reality of the situation was not the calamity it had been made out to be.

Props to Miletich, Bendo, and King Mo for keeping it real and recognizing the truth. Hopefully everybody else will slowly come to terms and stop giving Bones so much unwarranted grief.
I don't think people who think otherwise are sheep, but if you think this way, I am pretty sure that makes you narrow minded.


-Always Supporting-
Miesha Tate - Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Claudia Gadelha - Demian Maia - Jessica Eye
HitOrGetHit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,252
                     
It is a justified statement. However Miletich is an employee not an employer. He doesn't truly understand the political and business ramifications that decision carried. It essentially reverberated with profound effect. If he was an executive he would have lobbied for the fight knowing his bottomline was at risk along with the company.

As stated other organizations have completely collapsed with their main event cancelled or revised; Fedor vs Barnett and Kimbo vs Shamrock/Seth. The fact is Zuffa can absorb the loss, but if this occurred early on it would have had a detrimental effect. How many more hits like this before the consumers' lose confidence.

Each of you are looking at it from one point of view. I've already clearly stated that if Zuffa gave the ultimatum that had it been a title fight with zero pay raise then he would be in the right to pass. I'm inclined to think that Zuffa would have gave the green light to a five round non-title fight with a 50% - 100% pay increase. No doubt in my mind.
They lost millions by cancelling and even more so their reputation suffered. Money does not buy reputation.

Any champion, fighter, or human being has a freedom of speech and right to do anything within the constitution. It was likely he was not under contract to fight any last minute replacement therefore not obligated contractually to fight anyone other than Dan Henderson. Here lies the moral ambiguity of the situation.

In this unique circumstance it was about seeing the big picture. If your company goes down under who's going to pay for your mortgage. In their opinion it might not have been the best move career wise (although I think would have been) it was the right thing to do to save the event.

Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline  
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Sportsman 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: To achieve success, first you have to want real bad!!!
Posts: 8,146
                     
Quote:
It doesn’t do the UFC any good to chop the legs out from possibly their biggest star, because he doesn’t take a last minute replacement fight. There was nothing to gain for his career. I think it’s organizational suicide to do that to your biggest star.”
Biggest Star, so what? UFC is all the fighters who step up for fighting, not only Champions. A couple of losses could end real quick this "Star Status". Promising athlete, great achievements so far, but still begining. Remember the Machida era? Didn't take off.
I understand Jones reasons, but those are not the reasons of a fighter, not mention a champion, even less the "biggest star", give me a break.




Sent from my iPhone using VS Free


Sully - Official Trailer HD

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Sportsman 2.0 is offline  
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Lightweight
 
locnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,603
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHawk View Post
I think a lot of people were just disappointed that Jones decided to be a businessman over being a fighter. With the way he talks about himself, you'd never expect him to pull out of a fight when he's healthy.
Yep...
When you claim to be w warrior you can't skip the war.
locnott is offline  
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Resident Drunk
 
MagiK11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cap Haitian, Haiti
Posts: 3,716
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwizzy2k5 View Post
It's funny how when Pat Miletich says this people starting applauding him. I've been saying that exact thing since day 1 and anybody who is a freethinker and doesn't buy into Dana White's narrative like a sheep can see that the reality of the situation was not the calamity it had been made out to be.

Props to Miletich, Bendo, and King Mo for keeping it real and recognizing the truth. Hopefully everybody else will slowly come to terms and stop giving Bones so much unwarranted grief.
I'd like to consider myself a free thinker, and know most of the blame for the event being cancelled (in fact all of the blame) should fall on the UFC itself, but I still think Jones was a bitch for not accepting the fight. He went through a full camp, is in shape and would have fought someone who is a natural 185 pounder, who did not go through a full camp. I'm almost positive if BJ, Chuck, Anderson, Couture, Nog, GSP...etc were in the same position after a full training camp they would have fought even if their title was on the line.

But here is the bottom line. You think he made the right choice by not fighting Sonnen, while I think it was a piss poor decision on his part. Therefore, you should know by now, that we are all entitled to our own opinions.


1. BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
2. Dan "Hollywood" Henderson
3. George "Rush" St Pierre
MagiK11 is offline  
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Welterweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,226
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
So we either agree with you or we are sheep? No grey area?
If you believe that Bones deserves hatred and made an absurd and monstrous decision, then yes you are a sheep because I guarantee that if Dana White didn't react with his rant the fan "outrage" would be much more tame. Everybody is just following Dana White like a sheep by acting appalled at what was a completely understandable decision by Jon Jones. People in general have a mentality of jumping in with the crowd and scapegoating when it's convenient instead of using logic to accurately assess the situation.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what Pat says. Bones would have been no less prepared for Sonnen as Sonnen was for Bones. If anything, he would have been more prepared. So, for all this talk about the disadvantages for Bones, what about the things going against Sonnen?
Sonnen had everything to gain, nothing to lose. Bones had everything to lose, nothing to gain. Apples and oranges.

Quote:
It's not Jons fault the card was a mess and was cancelled. But it still leaves the fact that he didn't think he could beat Chael. I find this attitude a bit of a let down.
Of course Jones thinks he can beat Chael, that's besides the point. Anything can happen and it doesnt make any sense to risk everything you have going for you when you have nothing to gain and aren't even going to be able to put on your best performance. Jon Jones doesn't go out simply to win, he goes out to DOMINATE and make highlight reels like Anderson Silva. He wants to do that every time he fights (and so far he basically has), and so his refusal to fight Chael says nothing of whether he felt he could simply win the fight.
Dtwizzy2k5 is offline  
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Welterweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,226
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiK11 View Post
I'd like to consider myself a free thinker, and know most of the blame for the event being cancelled (in fact all of the blame) should fall on the UFC itself, but I still think Jones was a bitch for not accepting the fight. He went through a full camp, is in shape and would have fought someone who is a natural 185 pounder, who did not go through a full camp. I'm almost positive if BJ, Chuck, Anderson, Couture, Nog, GSP...etc were in the same position after a full training camp they would have fought even if their title was on the line.

But here is the bottom line. You think he made the right choice by not fighting Sonnen, while I think it was a piss poor decision on his part. Therefore, you should know by now, that we are all entitled to our own opinions.
I have no problem with your opinion. My problem is with the people who are putting all blame for everything on Jon Jones and acting like he is the devil now for making the worst decision of all time. My problem is with the scapegoating, hyperbole, and overreactions.
Dtwizzy2k5 is offline  
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 PM
NO. 1 *BONER*
 
limba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,727
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
I've had a lot of fun picking on Jon lately because,...it's a lot of fun.

But since I first met him in 1999, when Pat Militich speaks I listen carefully.

and say yes sir a lot.



http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/0...ews-35493.html
He must have read my post

.



BELIEVE!



limba is offline  
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Bantamweight
 
xRoxaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 750
                     
Pat hates Chael so no surprise here. Pat Militech is so damn biased its disgusting to have him as a commentator.

#1 Lyoto "the Dragon" Machida
#2 Junior "Cigano" Dos Santos
#3 Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
#4 Fedor "Last Emperor" Emelianenko
#5 "the Prodigy" BJ Penn

Im on another level now
xRoxaz is offline  
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 82
                     
Pat is speaking the truth and finally someone has the courage to step up. I started a thread pointing this out and gave clear points as to why Jones should not be held to this type of standard. Some folks took exception with it and the thread was eventually closed. Finally there is some honest dialogue going on after weeks of bitter bashing and blaming.
Sauce1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome