UFC 151 Cancellation Was at Least a $40 Million Hit for All Parties Involved - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #41 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,297
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
I love it when people bash Dana.

Name me 1 person ever who has done more for MMA than Dana White and the Fertitas.
Every fighter.

And the Fertittas bankrolled this thing. Dana just took a combat sport that was bound to succeed, had first mover's advantage, pumped lots of OTHER peoples money into it and watched the $ roll in. It's not magic.
Liddellianenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #42 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montucky
Posts: 5,008
slapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
I love it when people bash Dana.

Name me 1 person ever who has done more for MMA than Dana White and the Fertitas.
I love how ppl use past success to justify current failures. Oh and....
Quote:
This is my house, I build it!
__________________
"I fear no man, but Jim Harrison and Mike Stone are the two last men that I would wish to meet in an alley fight. Jim Harrison's fighting style is not flamboyant or spectacular, it's just simple and deadly!" - Bruce Lee sakurabushidokan.homestead.com
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
The Fun Police

 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 10,379
Blog Entries: 1
Killz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Every fighter.

And the Fertittas bankrolled this thing. Dana just took a combat sport that was bound to succeed, had first mover's advantage, pumped lots of OTHER peoples money into it and watched the $ roll in. It's not magic.

Name one person that has done more for boxing than Don King.
Ok... Every fighter... what about War Machine?

The only reason we have all of these fighters to watch is because of the hard work Dana puts in. To think that just because the Fertittas have all this money, is the reason the UFC suceeded is rediculous. MMA was on its ass when they picked up the ball and they have turned it into a world wide multi million dollar sport, which ALLOWS these fighters to fight for a living.

You think small orgs like Bellator, BAMMA, Strikeforce etc would exist without the UFC and the work put in to making it as socially acceptable as it is?

You are living in a dream world my friend.
__________________


"You see a mousetrap and I see free cheese and a f**king challenge" ~ Scroobius Pip

My Super FFL Team That Most Definitely Isn't Going to Come 2nd Last This Year!
Jose Aldo Carlos Condit Hector Lombard Edson Barboza Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson
Killz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #44 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montucky
Posts: 5,008
slapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings System
BS had Dana not acquired the ufc pride would still be going roid rage strong and strkefore and dream and k1. It may have developed much slower but it wouldn't have went away and eventually mma would be just as popular as it is now or maybe even more so.

Everything Dana dose he dose for himself, I don't have a issue with that but Dana doesn't do what's right for mma as a sport and we have seem many examples of that. He dose what he feels is right for Zuffa but he's not a suit. That's why you see all the pr mistakes that and his temper.
__________________
"I fear no man, but Jim Harrison and Mike Stone are the two last men that I would wish to meet in an alley fight. Jim Harrison's fighting style is not flamboyant or spectacular, it's just simple and deadly!" - Bruce Lee sakurabushidokan.homestead.com
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #45 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,297
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
Ok... Every fighter... what about War Machine?

The only reason we have all of these fighters to watch is because of the hard work Dana puts in. To think that just because the Fertittas have all this money, is the reason the UFC suceeded is rediculous. MMA was on its ass when they picked up the ball and they have turned it into a world wide multi million dollar sport, which ALLOWS these fighters to fight for a living.

You think small orgs like Bellator, BAMMA, Strikeforce etc would exist without the UFC and the work put in to making it as socially acceptable as it is?

You are living in a dream world my friend.
MMA was on it's ass because it was run on a shoestring budget by a backyard company.

Combat sports have always flourished when legalized and money is put in, it's man's oldest instinct. Boxing has already shown that.

Bellator, SF etc. have not surpassed the UFC because the UFC has first movers advantage, not because Dana is so brilliant.

If anything Dana has made some very stupid mistakes and is forcing the sport into a bad mold, rather than if it was run by a real professional. He can afford to though, because of the massive first mover's edge. It's like Microsoft with Windows.
Liddellianenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 5,668
Blog Entries: 1
ClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings System
I don't think Dana has done anything great for the company, but I think he's the ideal front man. He's brash, he says what he thinks and he's in your face. It's kind of exactly what the UFC is. Dana has made his mistakes and probably he could do with some revising his opinions beforehand, but that's what I like about him. If a media member asks him "Do you think X will get the next title shot?" he could easily answer "Yeah I think so" with something changing after the press conference. I prefer that over "We'll see".
__________________


MMA Forum Survival GP Season 5 Winner
VIP FFL 2013: 19th (Last) - 40 Points
ClydebankBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Apetimberlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 15
Apetimberlake is an unknown quantity at this pointApetimberlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Would UFC of the parent company not have some sort of cancellation insurance that would cover a loss similar to this ?
Apetimberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
The Fun Police

 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 10,379
Blog Entries: 1
Killz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
MMA was on it's ass because it was run on a shoestring budget by a backyard company.

Combat sports have always flourished when legalized and money is put in, it's man's oldest instinct. Boxing has already shown that.

Bellator, SF etc. have not surpassed the UFC because the UFC has first movers advantage, not because Dana is so brilliant.

If anything Dana has made some very stupid mistakes and is forcing the sport into a bad mold, rather than if it was run by a real professional. He can afford to though, because of the massive first mover's edge. It's like Microsoft with Windows.
I agree with most of what you said here, and I'm by no means a Dana nut hugger (just to clarify as it does look like I am defending him a lot).

However, you can't discredit what he has done, just because he got there first.

You can't say anybody could have done it because they didn't, Dana and the fertitas did, they took the risk that nobody else was willing to take and they have made MMA what it is today.

He does say some very silly things at times but I truly believe he is good for the UFC and it wouldn't be the same without him.
__________________


"You see a mousetrap and I see free cheese and a f**king challenge" ~ Scroobius Pip

My Super FFL Team That Most Definitely Isn't Going to Come 2nd Last This Year!
Jose Aldo Carlos Condit Hector Lombard Edson Barboza Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson
Killz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,297
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
I agree with most of what you said here, and I'm by no means a Dana nut hugger (just to clarify as it does look like I am defending him a lot).

However, you can't discredit what he has done, just because he got there first.

You can't say anybody could have done it because they didn't, Dana and the fertitas did, they took the risk that nobody else was willing to take and they have made MMA what it is today.

He does say some very silly things at times but I truly believe he is good for the UFC and it wouldn't be the same without him.
As you say, he's done a lot, true. I was just responding to the hyperbolic question of "has anyone done more for mma?" .

He's shown a good business eye in catching mmas potential and growing it, but that doesn't make him god of mma as your question seemed to imply. The gracies did far more, as did many of the actual fighters; especially the HOFers. In addition he's gotten the most OUT of mma financially, whereas pioneers like the gracies etc. did it for the actual sport.

And as i mentioned, he's made a lot of mistakes and held mma back in many ways as well. Certainly not beyond reproach. If people on these forums are free to bash or critique fighters and legends, i dont see why we have to make a complete exception for dana just because he showed some business sense in the past.
Liddellianenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #50 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Joabbuac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,939
Joabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World RenownJoabbuac Is World Renown
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Everything Dana dose he dose for himself.
Its "Does"....i keep seeing you type this, thought it was a typo at first. Your grammar is all neat and tidy but you dont know this?
Joabbuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios