MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   UFC (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/)
-   -   Jones says specialized training partners not needed for UFC 152 clash with Belfort (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/105305-jones-says-specialized-training-partners-not-needed-ufc-152-clash-belfort.html)

Adam365 09-18-2012 09:02 AM

Jones says specialized training partners not needed for UFC 152 clash with Belfort
 
http://mmajunkie.com/news/30673/jone...th-belfort.mma

Quote:

Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC) has made a career out of utilizing his physical gifts of rapid-fire hand speed and a lethal left hand.

Ahead of their UFC 152 headlining matchup, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) said he's aware of what "The Phenom" brings to the table. However, Jones said he didn't bring in any new training partners in hopes of simulating the Brazilian's famed skillset.

Instead, Jones said he stuck with his traditional approach to fighting: looking within for the keys to victory in the octagon.

"I've brought in no one special, no one new, to train for this fight," Jones told AXS TV's "Inside MMA." "I just believe in mainly being prepared for certain positions you're going to be in, certain techniques. I'm sure I'll adjust to the timing when the fight starts. But as far as special partners, we just know what we need to prepare for, and that's all we've done."

"UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort" takes place Sept. 22 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre. The title fight between Jones and Belfort serves as the evening's main event.

Jones is currently an 8-to-1 favorite according to most oddsmakers. "Bones" is 10 years his opponent's junior, and at 6-foot-4 and facing a natural middleweight, he'll be the physically larger man. Those who believe Belfort does have a chance of pulling he massive upset point to his legendary quickness and the devastating power that has made him one of the sport's most-feared striker since his debut way back in 1996.

But Jones, who trains at New Mexico's famed Team Jackson-Winkeljohn, said he doesn't believe the secret to beating elite fighters is finding new partners to offer a similar look.

"I just don't believe in looking for new people to be the answer," Jones said. "I believe the answer should come from within that self-drive and determination, that will that you have in your heart. That's where the answers to the puzzles are.

"When I started MMA, I had no special coaches. I had no special equipment or anything to train. I just had heart, and it played out for me, so I don't really believe in bringing in new people. I work with what I have, but more importantly, I focus on he positions that I'm going to be faced with. Timing, that's something that will be figured out within the first round of the fight."

If Belfort is able to threaten Jones, most believe he must work quickly and attack from the opening bell. So if Jones is going to wait for the fight to set his timing, he may need to do so quickly. But the 25-year-old is confident he'll be able to do exactly that, and he believes that Belfort's legendary speed may not prove to be too terribly faster than his own.

"His hand speed is definitely a gift that he has, but I believe that I'm really fast, too," Jones said.
hopefully this is a decent fight

cdtcpl 09-18-2012 09:49 AM

To be honest, unless you can find someone with the hand speed of Vitor then really there is nothing special to train for. He rushes in and starts throwing leather, pretty much it. Fortunately for him with that speed he has tons of power so it really works.

Much like trying to find someone to train with against JBJ, finding someone with his height and his reach is a difficult task.

TheNinja 09-18-2012 11:10 AM

Man I really hope JJ doesn't over look Vitor.. I heard his interview with Bas Butten Yesterday and he sounded pretty cocky. He basically said no man in the UFC right now can beat him, and if their is someone out there it is most likely a kid in High school who just started training. He said he doesn't think he can lose to an older opponet.

Calibretto9 09-18-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdtcpl (Post 1627596)
To be honest, unless you can find someone with the hand speed of Vitor then really there is nothing special to train for. He rushes in and starts throwing leather, pretty much it. Fortunately for him with that speed he has tons of power so it really works.

Much like trying to find someone to train with against JBJ, finding someone with his height and his reach is a difficult task.

Agreed. Vitor's been around a long time and his style is straight forward. Personally I also believe Jones doesn't think Vitor's much of a threat so he doesn't feel he needs to specialize. I think Jones is going to take Vitor down and pound him out very early in the fight.

Joabbuac 09-18-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNinja (Post 1627605)
Man I really hope JJ doesn't over look Vitor.. I heard his interview with Bas Butten Yesterday and he sounded pretty cocky. He basically said no man in the UFC right now can beat him, and if their is someone out there it is most likely a kid in High school who just started training. He said he doesn't think he can lose to an older opponet.

How many champions think there is someone in the UFC who can beat them? Hell...even a lot the lowest rug of the UFC probably think this :laugh:

The Best Around 09-18-2012 12:44 PM

Given Belfort's style and the somewhat short notice fight, bringing in someone would have been a waste. I hope Bones isn't overlooking Belfort, as it's hard to imagine Bones being scared of anyone due to never really being in a vulnerable position. I hope he goes for the takedown and doesn't try to stand and throw elbows against Belfort's strikes.

Rob$$oN 09-18-2012 03:51 PM

Well but he had to specialize against Henderson, didn't he? Chael's comin- run bro!

cdtcpl 09-18-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob$$oN (Post 1627662)
Well but he had to specialize against Henderson, didn't he? Chael's comin- run bro!

There is a difference though. You can 'theoretically' replicate Hendo's style in training camp. Nothing individually he does very uniquely, but when he puts it together it is a package that you can train specifically for. Unless you can find someone with Vitor's hand speed and charge in speed, it is almost impossible to replicate, so don't waste your time. Instead focus on your gameplan.

xxpillowxxjp 09-18-2012 08:25 PM

you guys are so oblivious i swear lol.

Every fighter is unique. EVERY ONE OF THEM. You study their faints, the combos they use, their tendencies, their movement, what they are vulnerable to in certain positions. All of those things add up to ONE fighter and ONE game plan.

There is no "hes a wrestler/a power puncher and so is that guy so they are interchangeable." Not even close. The only real similarities a fighter can have are his stance, his takedown techniques, and his power hand.

deadmanshand 09-18-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxpillowxxjp (Post 1627726)
you guys are so oblivious i swear lol.

Every fighter is unique. EVERY ONE OF THEM. You study their faints, the combos they use, their tendencies, their movement, what they are vulnerable to in certain positions. All of those things add up to ONE fighter and ONE game plan.

There is no "hes a wrestler/a power puncher and so is that guy so they are interchangeable." Not even close. The only real similarities a fighter can have are his stance, his takedown techniques, and his power hand.

There is so much fail in this post and not a nugget of truth to be found. Plenty of fighters fight similarly. The regional circuits of mma, boxing, kickboxing, and muay thai are full of them. It has a simple reason: everyone starts with the same basics. It takes either an unusual base or an unorthodox mind to establish a truly unique fighting style of which there are very few in mma.

*Lyoto. Anderson. Aldo. Korean Zombie. Maybe a few others. Most fall into basics because the basics work. That's why they are the first things drilled into your head. A fighter's individual quirks are easily analyzed. Three days to a week for most barring the few unique fighters.

I don't know if you have ever fought but if you did someone filled your head with a lot of nonsense.

*I'm not saying that these are the best fighters but they're just the first 4 with unique styles to come to mind.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2