What did you think of Joseph Benadivez/Demitrious Johnson? POLL INCLUDED - Page 12 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: What did you think of the flyweight title fight?
Great Fight 26 23.64%
It was good but not great. 33 30.00%
Indifferent, it was filler 21 19.09%
Wasn't very entertaining or exciting 23 20.91%
Complete Garbage 4 3.64%
I was busy watching Strawberry Shortcake reruns. 3 2.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,381
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
Diaz and Condit had MUCH less technique and footwork. It was Condit running backwards and throwing small attacks with weak intentions, and Diaz using know knowledge and marching forward as Condit easily avoided it.
Wrong. Condit threw a bunch of combinations and actually had Diaz hurt a few times (There was a body kick that staggered Diaz, a right cross, and I think he could've ended the fight if he followed up on the second head kick.)

Oh, and those "small attacks with weak intentions" had Diaz switching stance in the 5th.

And Diaz did manage to cut off the cage a few times in the first couple of rounds, and eventually took Condit's back standing.

All Benavidez did was swing wildly, and all Johnson did was dance around throwing single counters, and eventually got dropped by one of those haymakers. And never even came close to hurting Benavidez in the standup. short, single punches in every exchange.

This was like a bargain basement version of that fight. It was genuinely bad. This whole spiel about technique is baseless.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
SOOTHE YOUR SAVAGE BREASTS
 
OHKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,501
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoman993 View Post
I'm not sure if its lack of familiarity or that I just enjoy the heavier weight classes more but I don't really enjoy the lower weight classes at all. Don't get me wrong, these guys obviously have a ton of skills and a lot of heart but it just doesn't do it for me.

I'll come off sounding hypocritical because I love to watch technical battles that go back and forth but I just don't get that excitement level with the small guys that I do when two 205lb dudes are swinging for the fences, going after subs and leaving it all out there. I know lots of people will disagree with me but that's just the feeling I get when they fight. For me HW, LHW, MW and WW are really the only weight classes that I really consider draws, anything else to me at this point are fillers. I wouldn't be sinking my money into LW, BW, FW Pay per view cards that are headlined by those weight classes. I know that sounds bad but it is what it is, either you're excited by it or you're not. I'm not.
I feel exactly that way about the flyweight division. I think that the possibility of a finish is what glues us to the fight. A chance of seeing a KO or submission excites us and makes us want to watch the fight. In the flyweight division, the fighters are all so highly skilled that submissions are going to be rare, and they don't pack enough KO power. It makes one tempted to just skip to the decision and just find out who managed to outmatch their opponent.

Anderson Silva
Aldo - Dos Anjos - Mayday - Weidman - Machida - Jones
OHKO is offline  
post #113 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 PM
The 45%
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 12,103
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Nerd View Post
Wrong. Condit threw a bunch of combinations and actually had Diaz hurt a few times (There was a body kick that staggered Diaz, a right cross, and I think he could've ended the fight if he followed up on the second head kick.)

Oh, and those "small attacks with weak intentions" had Diaz switching stance in the 5th.

And Diaz did manage to cut off the cage a few times in the first couple of rounds, and eventually took Condit's back standing.

All Benavidez did was swing wildly, and all Johnson did was dance around throwing single counters, and eventually got dropped by one of those haymakers. And never even came close to hurting Benavidez in the standup. short, single punches in every exchange.

This was like a bargain basement version of that fight. It was genuinely bad. This whole spiel about technique is baseless.
Diaz wasnt even CLOSE to being hurt. His inability to cut off the ring was the only story in the fight.

Benavidez was swinging quite wildy at times, but Mighty Mouse's flawless footwork is what made him look that badly.



Thanks to Ape for the sig.
ClydebankBlitz is offline  
post #114 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 PM
SPEED KILLS
 
SM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,066
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKO View Post
I feel exactly that way about the flyweight division. I think that the possibility of a finish is what glues us to the fight. A chance of seeing a KO or submission excites us and makes us want to watch the fight. In the flyweight division, the fighters are all so highly skilled that submissions are going to be rare, and they don't pack enough KO power. It makes one tempted to just skip to the decision and just find out who managed to outmatch their opponent.
So you don't enjoy watching fights, you just like seeing people get knocked out and submitted.

Did you not feel the possibility of a finish when Benavidez dropped Johnson in the fourth round? I felt that possibility the whole time, because anyone who has seen his fights knows he hits hard, and he was fighting with bad intentions all night.

SM33 is offline  
post #115 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,381
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
Diaz wasnt even CLOSE to being hurt. His inability to cut off the ring was the only story in the fight.

Benavidez was swinging quite wildy at times, but Mighty Mouse's flawless footwork is what made him look that badly.
Diaz was a lot more hurt than Benavidez was in this fight. And again, stance-switching.

And yes, Johnson's footwork is very good, but are you really going to tell me you think Benavidez' striking is anything more than mediocre? The guy threw wild punches all through the fight. And elusive as Johnson was, he still got dropped.

FW is a shallow division, with a small talent pool. And the narrower the base of the pyramid, the shorter it's going to be. This was a bad title fight between two mediocre fighters.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
post #116 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
SOOTHE YOUR SAVAGE BREASTS
 
OHKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,501
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM33 View Post
So you don't enjoy watching fights, you just like seeing people get knocked out and submitted.

Did you not feel the possibility of a finish when Benavidez dropped Johnson in the fourth round? I felt that possibility the whole time, because anyone who has seen his fights knows he hits hard, and he was fighting with bad intentions all night.
I enjoy watching fights, more so if there is a higher probability of a finish. Tell me you would rather watch Johnson defend his title than say, Anderson Silva? The possibility of a magical finish is so exciting and glues me to my laptop screen every single time. The heavier fighters pack such power that anything can happen.

Was the Benavidez-Johnson fight good? I'd say yes. But was it that exciting that it got me sitting at the edge of my seat? No. The only time I got really interested in the fight was the 1st round ( to get a rough gauge of who is going to win the fight ) and the 4th round.

Maybe I'm judging the division before it really has the chance to set off, but thats just what I feel right now. I think that the flyweight division is just too extreme. How many fully grown men weigh around 125 pounds? How many of these men are good enough athletes to be UFC fighters? How many of these athletes would want to choose the path of being a UFC fighter?

Probably need a longer time before I can determine how I truly feel about the division though. If there is more talent flowing in and better finishers, then I'm all good.

Edit: On a side note, I absolutely hate it when one questions another of being a fight fan just because they have difference preferences in fights. Lets give an example. You like rock, while I like pop. Then you say I'm not a real fan of music just because I like the mainstream pop nowadays, which absolutely sucks. However, its just because my taste for music differs from you. Same for MMA. You prefer watching flyweights fight, while I have preference for those that are able to finish a fight. Not saying flyweights can't finish a fight, but you have to admit the probability is lower.

Anderson Silva
Aldo - Dos Anjos - Mayday - Weidman - Machida - Jones

Last edited by OHKO; 09-24-2012 at 02:59 PM.
OHKO is offline  
post #117 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Nerd View Post
Wrong. Condit threw a bunch of combinations and actually had Diaz hurt a few times (There was a body kick that staggered Diaz, a right cross, and I think he could've ended the fight if he followed up on the second head kick.)

Oh, and those "small attacks with weak intentions" had Diaz switching stance in the 5th.

And Diaz did manage to cut off the cage a few times in the first couple of rounds, and eventually took Condit's back standing.

All Benavidez did was swing wildly, and all Johnson did was dance around throwing single counters, and eventually got dropped by one of those haymakers. And never even came close to hurting Benavidez in the standup. short, single punches in every exchange.

This was like a bargain basement version of that fight. It was genuinely bad. This whole spiel about technique is baseless.
His face looked pretty beat up for a guy who was never close to looking hurt.




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
post #118 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,381
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
His face looked pretty beat up for a guy who was never close to looking hurt.
Yeah, because he ate some jabs. Did any of them slow him down? Stagger him? Make him backpedal?

No. I'm sure his face hurts like hell right now, because he was in a fight, but when referring to an in-cage situation "hurt" means something different than "having an owie." and you know that, so what's your point?
Sports_Nerd is offline  
post #119 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Nerd View Post
Yeah, because he ate some jabs. Did any of them slow him down? Stagger him? Make him backpedal?

No. I'm sure his face hurts like hell right now, because he was in a fight, but when referring to an in-cage situation "hurt" means something different than "having an owie." and you know that, so what's your point?
Has anyone considered Benavidez wasn't hurt cause he is tough as nails and its not just 100% because MightyMouse was to small to actually hurt somebody?




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
post #120 of 145 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Lightweight
 
Fieos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,730
                     
Briefly, then I realized every punch MightyMouse throws is a six-inch punch and he's not Bruce Lee..
Fieos is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome